Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently took off and cleaned my throttle body, problem is i flapped the throttle body which i later found out your not suppose too...

i also adjusted the idle pin cause i felt that it was going to low...anyways after all of the when it was to high it would hang and if i backed the screw out too much my pedal would stick...

so ive been trying to find the sweet spot...

is their a better way that trial and error to fix this...

do i just have to take it to the dealer to have them reset the idle thingy?

also, would reloading toms tune reset the idle or does the dealer do something totally different?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
the IAC (idle air control) motor and the ECU sets the idle, not the pin.

reloading the tune will not merit any results. you need to reset the ecu so it can relearn the TB. (what is flapping?) i would just simple back the idle screw all the way down and then start screwing it in until you begin to see the butterfly slightly move. this should be fine. remember to reset the ecu!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks scrammer, (sorry its been a while, been busy)

ill try all that ^^ and hopefully that will fix the wierd idling problem

also sometimes when im driving if i let off the gas the idle will fall extremly rapidly and my car will bog down and even stutter a little bit...but then it gets kicked back up...

is this something i can fix...or i messed up to begin with, or is it from toms tune?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
if adjusting the tb pin doesnt help the car from dying when letting off, unload the tune and see if it still happens. if not, describe the problem to Tom and he can take care of it in the tune.

·
Registered
872 Posts
As you have disturbed the throttle stop (an absolute no, no), you need to get the car hooked up to a scantool (with someone who understands the scantool and the car's fuel metering/control and emissions system) and have a look at the Idle Air Control "counts" or "steps". There is a specified manual limit for the Idle Air Control steps or counts (whatever Ford calls them) and if they aren't in the "ballpark" you may never get a correct/stable idle. Hunting and throttle hanging can also be an indication that they are out of limits. Obviously a dealer will be able to do this, but you'll pretty much have to talk to the shop tech/foreman or an emissions mech because the service writer's eyes will glaze over, and they'll write up a standard repair BS document. There is a procedure to do this without a scantool but I don't want to give you a bum steer because it's been a long time since I've done it and it's better to confirm the adjustment results with the scantool. The Idle Air Control counts/steps is a critical, basic adjustment for the fuel metering and control system on our pre '08 cars, and it ensures that the ECM/idle air control valve will be able to maintain the correct and stable idle irrespective of the different loads on the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts