Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with these?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/helix-powe...8.jcwx?skuId=334767&filterid=c2049d620y2003j1

"It only took me 20 minutes to install. This is a must have if you are driving a stock Zetec Focus or light modified. It cleared up the slight lag time I had in take off from stop. Definitely improved performance. My power add-ons for this car are: SVT exhaust(including header), ITG Cool Flo CAI, Screamin' Demon coil pack, 11mm Live Wires, Brisk Racing spark plugs, and this Helix Power Tower throttle body spacer. THe extra power and response time is definitely noticable. As far as gas mileage increase, I will have to write another review in two weeks. If my mileage increases, then this throttle body spacer will get 5 stars!"

I'd be installing this for possible mpg gains. Might be difficult to install? Good price though.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
its a rip off. maybe it worked on carb'd engines but not on todays fuel injection

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
tb spacers help w/ the air/fuel mixture when used on a carbeurated car. they help the mixture. however, notice where the tb spacer sits. it sits below the tb and above the IM. do we have fuel injected at our tb? no. fuel is injected at the end of the runners. so essentially ur helping to mix air w/ just air. there is no fuel to be swirled into the air like where a carbeurator spits out fuel. so in a nutshell. they are a complete waste of money on FUEL INJECTED vehicles and are an ebay scam!

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
if you do some hard core searching there were guys that dyno tested these things way back in the day, and they showed zero gains in power or fuel economy. There are thousands of threads about these stupid things. they make a nifty looking paperweight tho. And Mlbbaseball is 100% correct as well.

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
Have to agree , they do nothing I was the first to dyno them when they came out 0 HP/TQ gain

With the mods you have you would be far better off getting a tune

Tom

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My power add-ons for this car are: SVT exhaust(including header), ITG Cool Flo CAI, Screamin' Demon coil pack, 11mm Live Wires, Brisk Racing spark plugs, and this Helix Power Tower throttle body spacer.
Do they make these coil packs for the duratec?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That QUOTE is from a review on the JCWhitney site.

The earliest fuel injection setups were throttle body injection...like a carb. The Zetec does have multipoint at the valves.

I notice some people mention a whistle that these make...there was a device sold in GB that was supposed to create a sonic effect that supposedly helped to break up fuel droplets....might be somewhat the same?

Remember...anyone installing ANYTHING for power gains won't likely notice much in the way of mpg gains?

It's cheap enough to try I guess.....

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
The Zetec engine sprays the fuel inches from the Intake Valves directly into the heads runners when the valve opens , this spacer would to NOTHING to help with the fuel droplets as the spacer is about 20 inches from the fuel

Tom

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Remember...anyone installing ANYTHING for power gains won't likely notice much in the way of mpg gains?

Not true.
It all depends on where the power is gained. If you gain low RPM TQ, you will see MPG gains slightly. This is due to extraction more usable energy from the same amount of fuel/air. Which means you can use less peddle (air) and less fuel to achieve the same TQ needed to sustain a speed/RPM.

The whistle some might have spoken about may just be turbulence, and not anything relating to a 'sonic port'.
In some cases a sonic port can make better low RPM TQ. But it is limited to a very narrow RPM range and cam lift/duration. It isn't something you really want to play with unless you fully understand how air works and how it works in your exact engine. 99% of the people who try will loose power/MPG's.

If you want better mileage you have to increase low RPM TQ. Choose parts accordingly, and parts that are proven to work on the Focus.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Is this what happens when you go from 87 to 91 fuel?
To some extent the ECU can run more ignition timing on 91 Octane vs 87. But only in areas where knock was present on 87.
So if you weren't knocking on 87 you won't see any gains on 91.

And you'd have to run a few tanks through and figure out if you save money running the more expensive fuel. I'd guess if you gained 1mpg you'd still be spending more. Maybe 2mpg more would break even. So you 'd have to gain 3mpg to save money, for example.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Spacer=paperweight

·
Registered
520 Posts
The spacers are only good as indicated for carbs and TB's. I have several spacers for my edelbroc 600 hell we used to stack spacers 4"-8" and cut the hoods for clearance on the 350's and then put the giant air filter on that. cold air intakes used to be air filters mounted through the hood.

But with a MPI what is is going to help mix air with air. Or the turbulance one like you bought it'll take the same air and make it take up more room. You might actually see a power loss.

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
Do they make these coil packs for the duratec?
the duratec is coil on plug, therefore each spark plug has its own coil pack, and it eliminates the traditional coil and spark plug wire setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts