Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had purchased a ported throttle body from a member here. When I removed my original OEM one, I noticed a couple of things that I wanted to check with you guys first. Pictures are included for your reference. Please, excuse my lack of technical knowledge when I refer to some parts.

First and most important, when I removed the plastic shield I saw that there was throttle cable on the outside as expected. But where there is a post on the inside, nothing is connected. From the how to I used, there was another black, elongated piece connected there that ran parallel to the throttle cable. I have a yellow arrow pointing to the location. My vehicle is an 07 manual if that means anything? Pic below.

The second and final question I have; I used this time to clean out the air duct connecting the air box to the throttle body. There is minor carbon buildup within the duct but also oil within the tube (runs from engine to duct) and the inside of the duct (where tube connects). Is this normal or not and if not, what can be the cause of this so I can check into those causes also. Pics below.

Thanks everyone and happy new year!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Other cable would be for cruise control, guessing you don't have it? Oil in intake tube is coming from the fresh air side of the PCV. Do you spend a lot of time at high RPM? Engines kind of spit out oil from that port when close to red line. It's a sign of blow-by/high mile engine. Connect a catch can in that line to monitor how much you are collecting. That oil could be old.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
X2 to all of that............small amount of oil is OK, lots means a possible engine problem.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I do not have cruise control. The other comment is interesting though. Never knew that.

I'll do as you suggest and try to monitor what I can in terms of oil. I've cleaned that out as best as I could. I will also look into installing a tach of some sort since my vehicle never had one.
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question though concerning ported throttle bodies. Does the engine generally sound a little louder once installed? Other than the feel, which it is great in terms of reaction. But in sound? I didn't think it would have but what do I know? Lol

·
Registered
414 Posts
I thought all the 07s came with a tach in the cluster? For $80 you can buy an Ultragauge which will read RPM as well as every other OBD2 parameter like engine temp, intake temp etc. as well as display MPG data. Cost is about the same as a cluster swap but gets you so much more info. You can spend a little more on a ScangaugeII or a ton more on an Aeroforce gauge. The torque app might follow RPM too but is not available for iPhone useres, only android. I think the app is free and dongles can be bought on eBay for less than $10.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info space! I'll look into that as soon as I can.
I got my SE in august of 06 when they had just hit the ford lots. Maybe that is a reason why mine didn't come with one? I don't know.
As for the sound of the ported throttle, forget I said anything please. I didn't take into account that things weren't up to temperature. Sounds great and the car really feels and picks up better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts