Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys my girlfriend has an 09 focus and is having so issues with the throttle, when she will be driving down the road she will lose all throttle and the wrench light will come on and the car will shake, after shutting the car off and restarting the issue is gone. ford just informed us that she need a new throttle body (for $600) but yet they cannot inform me of what the actual issue is being caused from.. anyone else had a problem like this? or know a fix?

Reactions: jillianb

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
It is the electronic throttle control system. Most likely it is the throttle position sensor in the TB, which can not be replaced. You have to install a complete new/used TB. It should only be a $200 part and you can install it your self. I had the same problem on my 2010, but was fixed under warranty
Your drivetrain should be under a 5/60,000. If you still have it, it will be covered.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help.. she is 1000 miles over her 36,000 mile warranty and they said it is not covered in the 100,000 mile power-train warranty... damn bastards anyway to make a buck..

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
here is a link to Tousley Ford, $160.97 plus shipping.
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214771&chapter=&sectionids=6,2782&groupid=10024&subgroupid=61875&make=10&model=Focus&year=2009&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

I had this happen to me over the course of about 3 months, at first it was completely random, and like you stated it was fine after you restarted the car. That is because the sensors reset when you start the car and the computer/car runs fine. When the TPS starts to go bad, it gives the CPU a reading it does not like and shuts everything down. I had it happen so bad that I almost got into a huge wreck in rush hour traffic. My car went into full limp mode at 80 mph in the fast lane of 6am Las Vegas rush Hour traffic!!!

I know the 2010 focus comes with a 5year/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty, and it has to be covered, as it is part of the whole system controlling the Drivetrain!

well I hope you get it fixed ASAP as it can be a life threatening problem if your car shuts down in heavy traffic and your not prepared.

-Bob

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
yeah, tps most likely. sam had the same thing happen on her escape a while back.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you can't DIY, then find an independent mechanic/shop that can do it for way less than dealers. As "ST12131" said, it is a safety issue.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had the same happen and had it replaced under warranty. Voortek's gave out 2 days after mine. Took 6 days cause the throttle body was back ordered

·
Registered
508 Posts
this happen to my 09 at 20,000 miles+

I would be driving on the freeway at 65mph and then all of a sudden my car would turn itself off!!
i would have to put it in "N" and start it up again
(AFTER HAVING TO RESTART THE CAR 4or5 TIMES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON)
my dad a techni brought home his scan tool... scanned the comp
and it told him the code in which the TB was failing.
After that we took off the stock intake and looked into the TB
it was dirty< we cleaned it and put it back together...
later it happened again and again till it thru that code... and he said I'd have to take the the Dealership replace it under warranty..
^so they did and i got a new TB <the problem never CAME BACK..

sorry to hear that another FOcus is acting up AGAIN.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Throttle body is part of the drivetrain that should be covered under the 5yr/60k ford powertrain warranty.

I've got 53k miles now and still good

·
Registered
187 Posts
not to bring this thread back from the dead but I'm on my 2nd throttle body and its happening again. I've got just under 60 so hopefully I can get it fixed under warranty. I bought the first one myself because the dealership wouldnt fix it tho.

I'm going to clean my maf and see if it helps...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Seems like a lot of them die so maybe you just got another bad one....voortek and mine died within 2 days of each other lol I hit limp at 80mph on the freeway, and worse, once as I was pulling away from a stoplight haha

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah we are still having issues with ours also we haven't replaced it yet but I think that cleaning the maf is a good idea. Is ford the only place to get a new throttle body? Any aftermarket ones ?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
okay guys my girlfriend has an 09 focus and is having so issues with the throttle, when she will be driving down the road she will lose all throttle and the wrench light will come on and the car will shake, after shutting the car off and restarting the issue is gone. ford just informed us that she need a new throttle body (for $600) but yet they cannot inform me of what the actual issue is being caused from.. anyone else had a problem like this? or know a fix?
OMG $600 dollars [eek] what a rip off. Please tell me you did not pay that much for it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They told us the same thing and I replied shove that up your ass! It's not like it takes a rocket scientist to change the throttle body

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have been trying to find a cheap throttle body and gas pedal assembly to have in the car as a spare. I do NOT trust these things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am new. I have this issue and now my CEL is on. It stopped 4 times on my way to work which is why I took local roads and not the freeway. It stopped on me on the freeway in rush hour! This is such a pain! I just sent a pm to customer service on here so I am hoping for a resolution soon!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts