Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I just installed a FC 65mm throttle body on my automatic 2000 ZX3. For some reason in order to go anywhere it seems, I have to press the pedal ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR! And even when I do that the car just CRAWLS... It feels like the car is just shifting whenever it wants! To my understanding the car should be perform better not worse! Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Did you do an ECU reset? Basically when you change the TB out, you have to disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10-15 minutes to allow it to 'reset' and 'learn' about your new TB.

You can also accomplish this by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery and laying on the horn, brake pedal for 2 minutes or so (quicker alternative).

As well, are you sure you got the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) in the right holes on the FC TB? Refer to the picture below.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, So I replaced the TPS sensor, because my friend accidently broke the one that came on the car originally. And I reset the memory so it could learn about the new TB. Still did the same thing! Now I just installed the old TB and now it is still doin the same thing... only worse... my check engine light is on and I have 4 DTCs! P0123, P1000, P1120, P1125... WHAT TO DO!? Take it to Ford?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
P0123 - Throttle Position (TP) Circuit High Input The TP sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for a high TP rotation angle (or voltage) input through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during key ON engine OFF or key ON engine running the TP rotation angle (or voltage) changes above maximum calibrated limit, the test fails. TP sensor not seated properly
TP circuit short to PWR
VREF short to PWR
SIG RTN circuit open to TP sensor
Damaged TP sensor
Damaged PCM
A TP PID (TP V PID) reading greater than 93% (4.65 volts) in key ON engine OFF, continuous memory or key ON engine running indicates a hard fault.

P1000 - Monitor Testing Not Complete The on board diagnostic II (OBD II) monitors are performed during the OBD II Drive Cycle. The DTC will be stored in continuous memory if any of the OBD II monitors do not complete. Vehicle is new from the factory
Battery or PCM had recently been disconnected
An OBD II monitor failure had occurred before completion of an OBD II drive cycle
PCM DTCs have recently been cleared with a scan tool
PTO circuit is shorted to VPWR or B+ or PTO is on during testing
The DTC does not need to be cleared from the PCM except to pass an inspection/maintenance test.

P1120 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Out of Range Low (RATCH too Low) The TP sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for a low TP rotation angle (or voltage) input below the closed throttle position through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during key ON engine OFF or key ON engine running the TP rotation angle (or voltage) remains within the calibrated self-test range but falls between 3.42 and 9.85% (0.17 and 0.49 volt), the test fails. TP circuit with frayed wires
Corrosion on TP circuit connectors
VREF open to TP sensor
VREF short to SIG RTN
TP sensor loose pins
A TP PID (TP V PID) between 3.42 and 9.85% (0.17 and 0.49 volt) in key ON engine OFF, continuous memory or key ON engine running indicates a hard fault.

P1125 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Intermittent The TP sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for sudden TP rotation angle (or voltage) input change through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during the last 80 warm-up cycles in key ON engine running the PCM detects a TP rotation angle (or voltage) changes beyond the minimum or maximum calibrated limit, a continuous diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored. Poor continuity through the TP sensor connectors
Poor continuity through the TP harness
Intermittent open or short inside the TP sensor
While accessing the TP V PID on the scan tool, lightly tap on the TP sensor or wiggle the TP sensor connector and harness. If the TP V PID suddenly changes below 0.49 volt or above 4.65 volts, an intermittent fault is indicated.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Sounds like you either have a break in one of the wires on the TPS harness or your TPS is installed backwards...all of those codes are pointing to an out of range reading or fault in the wiring.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
correct me if i'm, wrong, but didn't some one post ( i guess a few months back) that they rotatated their TPS cause they were havin some freaky idle and a whole bunch of codes to, i think that even fixed the problem.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Unbolt it from the TB and change the direction the plug is going. IIRC, the TPS plug is supposed to point down towards the front of the car.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
^^^ wow, it looks like i was drunk when i posted the above!.

Well, i searched for the post but had no luck, i'll keep trying. I also recall that some one posted that it would mess up the TPS to do that, but i've heard it fixes the problem, who really knows, just give it a shot, it could work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i put mine on backwards and my car was retarded for a short period of time. after i unplugged everything and redid the work it run good and cleared all the codes on its owns.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
new problem code....

P0122 - Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Low Input The TP sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for a low TP rotation angle (or voltage) input through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during key ON engine OFF or key ON engine running the TP rotation angle (or voltage) changes below a minimum calibrated limit, the test fails. TP sensor not seated properly
TP circuit open to PCM
VREF open to TP sensor
TP circuit short to GND
Damaged TP sensor
Damaged PCM
A TP PID (TP V PID) reading less than 3.42% (0.17 volt) in key ON engine OFF, continuous memory or key ON engine running indicates a hard fault.

I changed the idiling screw a bit, because I may have been off alittle, and it was making it rev high... But now I have the old TB on and it is still acting up... I think I am going to try the new TB and see if I can adjust the sensor correctly...

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Now i'm beggining to think it's your TPS that may be damaged from the transfer from the throttle body.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
SuperFlea said:
Now i'm beggining to think it's your TPS that may be damaged from the transfer from the throttle body.
Yeah that is what I am thinking......

If you flipped the TPS 180 degrees, and did an ECU reset... that didn't work there isnt much else it can be that would cause you to throw those codes unless the wiring is pootched also, shorting, etc.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a brand new sensor actually... My friend did accidently break the first one... but this one seems to be working properly. I am confused about the 180 degree angle you are talking about. Maybe I am an idiot... lol. [bash]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
OK, the TPS has two holes that you run the bolts through. We'll call them hole A and hole B. Remove the TPS and put hole A where hole B was, and you will have flipped your TPS 180 degrees.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now is that only on the FC TB tho? I have the stock TB on right now just tryin to get my car to run without screwin up my engine... If I take the TPS and "flip" it the actual connection that the wire connects to would be facing up correct? I am beginning to think the same, that my TPS sensor is not the right one for my car, I am going to go back up to Advanced Auto Parts and try and get another one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts