Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading some stuff I've come to the conclusion that I want a new throttle body cuz the slow throttle response is killing me. I know everyone recommends the CFM but personally I think they are on the pricey side with most of their products. I found a BBK throttle body for the same price its 66mm instead of the 67 for the CFM, not a big deal.

Anybody running the BBK?
What do you guys think?

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Let me get in on this! [giddy]

BBK has made Mustang parts for a long time, and they make pretty decent stuff for the most part. Their TB's were one of their best made parts out of their Mustang parts line up, in fact I think Edelbrock TB's were relabeled BBK's... but when I looked at theirs it was the same price as a CFM.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha nice whip. Yea I know I am deff going to get the BBK for my cougar when I get a chance. They make great stuff and it is the same price I'm just curious if anyone has actually used one.

FYI, you don't need a yellow svt to post on this people. lol

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
BBK is 1mm larger than stock, CFM is 2mm larger.
If that convinces you to spend $250 so be it. I don't think it's worth it.

Stock: 20.5735 in^2
BBK: 21.2114 in^2 (0.6379 in^2 larger than stock)
CFM: 21.8591 in^2 (0.6477 in^2 larger than BBK)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BBK is 1mm larger than stock, CFM is 2mm larger.
If that convinces you to spend $250 so be it. I don't think it's worth it.

Stock: 20.5735 in^2
BBK: 21.2114 in^2 (0.6379 in^2 larger than stock)
CFM: 21.8591 in^2 (0.6477 in^2 larger than BBK)

Yes I am aware of the minimal size difference. SVTs are know for there slow throttle response (it drives me crazy). I have been doing some research and people who upgrade the throttle body have a noticeable increase in throttle response. Apparently the stock one isn't the greatest design so I was looking for any opinions on it.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
It's not just the SVTs! My regular ZX3 has a real lazy response at first, and (luckily if you can call it that) I stripped out the threads on the original intake manifold; and ordered a new one to replace it... the seller offered to port-match. The 65mm Focus Central throttle body matched up perfectly to the intake manifold flange!
The response was a night and day difference: it still takes a few days re-learning how to work the pedals when I buy new shoes or boots (the soles are thicker), and the engine flies up through the revs before I can even feel my foot on the pedal. And after I swapped a getrag in there with a lightweight flywheel... whoa!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you have happen to have a link on that 66mm BBK TB for me? I was getting ready to order a 67mm CFM. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not just the SVTs! My regular ZX3 has a real lazy response at first, and (luckily if you can call it that) I stripped out the threads on the original intake manifold; and ordered a new one to replace it... the seller offered to port-match. The 65mm Focus Central throttle body matched up perfectly to the intake manifold flange!
The response was a night and day difference: it still takes a few days re-learning how to work the pedals when I buy new shoes or boots (the soles are thicker), and the engine flies up through the revs before I can even feel my foot on the pedal. And after I swapped a getrag in there with a lightweight flywheel... whoa!
Yea I think the car should want to rev easier. It feels like it takes forever to actually take off in first gear because of the slow response.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Yea I think the car should want to rev easier. It feels like it takes forever to actually take off in first gear because of the slow response.
I surprised you say that because you have a tune, so it says in your sig, everyone says that a tune is the best thing for throttle response.

I got a used Steeda or a Focus Central 67mm TB and when I first put it on it helped but it didnt alleviate all the problems. BUT I did have a new poly dogbone and that takes some time to get used to in first gear. I didnt feel that the TB was touchy or I had to relearn how to drive the car like so many people say. I'm sure if I put the stocker back on I could tell.

Recently I noticed that the car takes off pretty nice now after an ORP to HFC swap and the mount is well broken in, and I know the TB is helping too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I do. I also have poly mounts all around. Car only has 33,xxx miles on it I got it with 25,xxx so I don't think anything is wrong. Hope not anyway. Haha. I'll prob pick up a TB sometime over the winter and have it installed for the spring (my SVT will be parked all winter) I'm leaning towards the BBK but it appears no one has one to review for me....

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
There is one thing I can see in the photos that I really like about the BBK compared to the the other aftermarket TB's. The shaft is made like the OEM where the blade slides inside of the shaft and pinched in with the screws. On the others the blade is screwed on a notched shaft, and there have been a few cases where the shaft breaks. It seems to be very rare and it seems to happen more on FI cars, I saw it in a thread once.

On the downside maybe, it uses a paper gasket instead of the stock rubber gasket.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
If you want to save a few bucks, pull your stock TB and port that sucker. I'd suggest go at it slow (high grit) and take your time.

You can also port match the lower IM to the newly ported TB (disconnect the couplers and vac lines, itll slide right out).

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
i ported mine and the response is better. prolly not as good as it would be with an aftermarket one, but still better. slow and steady is the key.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Porting the stock TB has showed no gains on the dyno , dont trust your butt dyno it lies

Tom
I have heard you recommend the CFM any word on the BBK?

Yes I am looking for throttle response wouldn't mind an extra 1/2 hp though. Haha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts