Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Just picked up a 2006 ZTW. I've been looking for a low mileage wagon with a manual transmission for some time and stumbled across this one at a deal I couldn't resist. So far I'm thrilled with it--tons of space, handles surprisingly well and great fuel economy on my first 3 tanks.

The car had 89K on it with regular 5K oil changes, but no other maintenance....so, I've been going through all of the requisite stuff:

-brake/clutch fluid flush
-trans fluid change
-power steering flush
-fuel filter change
-coolant exchange
-spark plugs

Huge thanks to all who've posted in the forum--almost all of this stuff was easier from the info I've found on here. Particularly helpful were the tips on the reverse-bleeding on the clutch. A big syringe pushing fluid up through the system gave a nice, firm pedal right off the bat. And the explanations of the various clips on the fuel filter were a big help.

One last thing I did was use this here: http://3mauto.com/3m-fuel-system-tune-up-kit-39089-2286.html

I was a bit, well--shocked about the plastic throttle body, but decided to give this a try anyway as it claimed to be compatible w/the composites used. The throttle body plate was really sticky, and cleaning the edges of the plate and the bore made a night and day difference in the driveability of the car. I've used the intake cleaner on past cars and it really does clean up the intake valves.

Overall, I thought this was well worth doing. At 89K the throttle body was absolutely caked, so for those who haven't cleaned their out, this kit seems to offer a good, safe option.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Hey, nice job doing all those preventative maintenance items. Cool, you found a wagon with a stick. I have had my 2004 wagon for about a year+ and inspected my TB last year at 140K miles and it was strangely clean...?

Here is one item to add to your preventative maintenance list or just as a heads-up; hatch/liftgate wiring damage inside of rubber boot->

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6514577&postcount=12

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323413

Also, the PCV Hose (cracks) gets old quick and will need replacement at some point, so heads-up on that too.

Welcome to FF

Cheers!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey guys,

I've also just picked up a 2007 wagon 5spd (153k) and have been looking for preventative things to check out while I clean up the car and prepare to put it on daily duty. I understand basic maintenance but I'm looking for problematic areas that need to be checked/addressed because of being common failure points. Anyone care to point me to other threads that address these issues? Or just give me a tip for buzz words to search?

Thanks,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is one item to add to your preventative maintenance list or just as a heads-up; hatch/liftgate wiring damage inside of rubber boot->

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6514577&postcount=12

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323413

Also, the PCV Hose (cracks) gets old quick and will need replacement at some point, so heads-up on that too.

Welcome to FF

Cheers!
Thanks for the welcome! Funny enough, the hatch wiring does indeed need to be repaired. The previous owner let me know this when I bought the car. I'll be doing that later this week, along with the passenger side motor mount.

As far as the PCV hose, I bought the hose and valve, but I've thoroughly check it out and it's all intact-no cracks or leaks. I'll replace that stuff, the T-stat and a couple of those buried coolant hoses before my next oil change in the spring.

Hey guys,

I've also just picked up a 2007 wagon 5spd (153k) and have been looking for preventative things to check out while I clean up the car and prepare to put it on daily duty. I understand basic maintenance but I'm looking for problematic areas that need to be checked/addressed because of being common failure points. Anyone care to point me to other threads that address these issues? Or just give me a tip for buzz words to search?

Thanks,
I think changing all of the fluids is a good start. Even folks who religiously change the oil often neglect the other fluids, so if you don't have documentation that they've been changed, I'd change the coolant, power steering, transmission, brake and clutch fluid--along w/the other stuff that's been mentioned (PCV & hose, hatch wiring, plugs). Excessive vibration at idle would indicate the fluid-filled passenger motor mount needs replaced (pretty common).

These cars are known for eating wheel bearings, so I'd check those out as well. The last thing to check would be all of the suspension components. Suspension stuff will rarely leave you stranded, so I think that's one of those things that you do as time and/or money allow. At 150K, shocks, end links, various bushings can all be near the end of their life.

Last thing: I'd consider changing the coolant hoses, or at least give them a good inspection (which means pulling them and inspecting the *inside* of the hose for cracks). That something that can leave you stranded! Mine look good, but my car has lived in a very mild climate.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Good info, Jack. Thank you. Luckily it looks like my car was mostly serviced by Ford and the dealerships reported the service to carfax. I signed up on mycrfax.com for free and typed in my VIN and all the reported service history popped up all the way back to when the car was delivered to the lot from the factory. I've given the car a cursory once-over and have been mostly just trying to clean the stale french fries smell out of the car along with all the dirt that owner brought in :(

Here is a random question: does your wagon's back seat floor have a bulge under the carpet? I noticed it today while vacuuming and there is a definite bulge under the carpet; it's basically the whole area but you can feel the bulge compared to the outer perimeter of the foot well. If it's "normal" I'm not going to pull the carpet up to investigate further.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Here is a random question: does your wagon's back seat floor have a bulge under the carpet? I noticed it today while vacuuming and there is a definite bulge under the carpet; it's basically the whole area but you can feel the bulge compared to the outer perimeter of the foot well. If it's "normal" I'm not going to pull the carpet up to investigate further.
Is it on the passenger side? Parallel with the door and about 1 foot long?

Toby

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yea approximately. Smaller bulge on driver's side of the back seat but I first noticed it while vacuuming the the carpet in the back seat. So is it normal?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not sure, but I have a bulge there too and I assumed it was damage from a floor jack that was improperly placed. I'll take pictures of it and post them in this thread so you can compare.

Toby

·
Registered
17,479 Posts
Most likely just that, jack issue, you can bang it back flat if careful.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'll have to check out the floor tomorrow to check that out. I guess it could be bad jacking or possibly other damage from whatever the previous owner hit that creased the door and messed up the rocker panel.

I checked my wiring on the hatch and it looks like mine ready wore out and was repaired (poorly) which has broken again. Kinda wondering if a little more wire length would help the problem as it seems the wire in ther is pretty tight...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts