Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 ZC3 with a FocusCentral TB and a Volant CAI, put on by my Ford dealership a couple of years ago. Sitting in the driver's seat, I can feel that the idle is really strange--it seems weak and "lumpy." It's been this way for a long time. On occasion, when starting from a stop light, the car will die. I've had it back to my dealer numerous times, and they've replaced the mass air sensor and cleaned the injectors. They've also checked for vacuum leaks as I've read some posts on that before, but none found. But still the "weak" idle. Employees at the dealership say they've heard the same thing about Explorers and Windstars. Well, my service guy says we should take off the TB since they are often a problem. From your collective experiences, any opinions out there about whether this is likely to solve anything? I have been using an Excalibrator II from FocusSport (btw, they say they don't like TBs), but without having tweaked any of the programming options, there's no relief from the strange idle. [?|] Also, at night, while at a stop light, the odometer backlight will flicker slightly, as will the dome light if I have it on. Today, the service tech said my battery needs replacement, but I doubt this is an issue with the idle. The lumpy idle occurs sporadically during a day's driving, so it's up to fate whether it's evident when the tech has it or if they can feel it like I can! I usually leave it with them overnight, so I have to rent a car each time. [:(] If any of you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate the feedback! I'm getting tired of thinking I've made bolt-on performance upgrades only to find my performance and money growing smaller![:(]

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
They may have the TPS on incorrectly. Check that, but first.

Disconnect the battery cable for 15 minutes, reconnect...start the car and let it idle for about 5-10 minutes, do not touch the throttle. It will relearn the new TB. TRY that first.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i know that on my friends 02 zts, we had to install the tps in the holes for an auto tranny even though his was a manual...took us almost 3 hrs b4 i finally "wtf, not like it could get any worse"...in the auto holes there isnt even a flicker of a problem!

also, u said the odo light and the dome light flicker...is it just those 2 or the driving lights as well?...if its a problem w the other lights then im thinking maybe a prob w ur alternator

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, not sure if the headlights dim. I'll check that. I have the Hella HIDs. The dome light dimming is slight. You have to see it out of the corner of your eye.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You may check your idle screw on the TB. It should have 1/4-1/2 turn after it makes contact with the stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts