Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got a FC throttle and the instruction said to bore it to 65mm, how would i go about doing this?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
is it talking about porting the IM to 65mm??

·
Registered
117 Posts
what litre fofo u got? i got a 1.8 and just got a 2.l throttle body and MAF... should i see a difference

·
Registered
190 Posts
when i ported out my IM, i stuck a rag or 2 in the hole (so nothing gets in there) then used the bracket that comes with the TB to trace an out line, of how big it was, with a silver sharpie (so i could see it). I used a dremmel (AC power) to slowly bore it out. Take your time doing it, try to have smooth edges, and stay within the sharpie marking.

mlbbaseball told me to take it all off then do it then soak it in water and blow it out with an air compressor, but i didn't have the time so i didn't. But it is a good idea to do it that way to make sure nothing like plastic or dirt gets into your engine.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what litre fofo u got? i got a 1.8 and just got a 2.l throttle body and MAF... should i see a difference

hey danny if you can find or even measure your oem Throttle body to see the size and then compare it with the new throttle body you got, then that prob give you a sense of what you need to bore/port.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i ported out my IM, i stuck a rag or 2 in the hole (so nothing gets in there) then used the bracket that comes with the TB to trace an out line, of how big it was, with a silver sharpie (so i could see it). I used a dremmel (AC power) to slowly bore it out. Take your time doing it, try to have smooth edges, and stay within the sharpie marking.

mlbbaseball told me to take it all off then do it then soak it in water and blow it out with an air compressor, but i didn't have the time so i didn't. But it is a good idea to do it that way to make sure nothing like plastic or dirt gets into your engine.

yeah i didn't get a gasket with my throttle body, so im prob just gunna trace it out with a crayon and then make a templete of the TB, and do the steps that you took. i will not be taking it out either because i don't know how to do it.

If i can get steps and rating on how hard it is to remove the IM, maybe ill reconcider it for this weekend project.

-bunna

·
Registered
442 Posts
its not too bad the harness that goes to the fuel rail has to be pretty much completely disconnected and the IM manifold bolts arent bad, but the one near the alternator is a little tricky. only the bracket above the alternator needs to move to get the stud out.

I would recommend taking it off. Mine was really dirty from blow-by in the PCV so I cleaned it out and ported the ends of the runners. There is probably a little to gain in porting the neck of the IM but I didnt have time to much to it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
well ive been told its not overly hard (something like 4 bolts), but im assuming they're in awkward places. But id PM mlbbaseball about it to see what he says, i know he did it that way.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
If you want to make a perfect gasket, just take a can of spray paint, put the tb, on the gasket paper, open the butterfly, and do a light coat. then, immediatly, wash the TB and you have a perfect outline!!! This will also work on the IM, Its what I did, just make sure you wash the TB immediately. by spraying the TB when the butterfly is open, you create a perfect outline and know exactly where to port. just keep porting the IM till you see no more paint!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah thats a good idea, but i took a longer way to make a templete. i used the first grade skill... i took paper and a crayon and then rubs it over the paper/Throttle body... WUla! perfect. then i cut it out on a thicker peice of paper... wula! no mess and still got a templete. did this to make new gaskets for cat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts