Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one know if it is possible to adjust the throttle cable in an 06? on my old car you could tighten it up and make the car idle a little hight witch was great for city driving. i was just wondering if you could do that with a focus or not?

·
Registered
200 Posts
i thought we had drive by wire lol....i had my gf rev the car while i looked for the cable, could'nt find it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
I'd rather have a direct throttle cable than drive by wire...take the new Civic for example; its possible to completely floor the accelerator and let it back out to where it was and the engine doesn't rev at all. Typically "drive by wire" systems are more of a headache than their direct-control counterparts.

As far as increasing idle...even if you did somehow tighten the cable, the computer would eventually learn that the TB was being held open and compensate to bring the idle down. The only way to change your idle speed is with a chip or reflash.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i remember reading in a magazine they couldnt get a 350z or an RX8 (which one i cannot remember) to do a burn out because of the drive by wire...

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Part of that could have something to do with emissions/MPG ratings, there's really nothing you can do worse for gas mileage than make rapid and extreme changes in throttle modulation so you might be able to tune it out. However, other drive by wire systems are equally as frustrating and make you feel detached from the car. A perfect example is the current and next-generation Chevy Malibu with its "drive by wire" steering system. The car basically takes your inputs and "interprets" them and does the steering or throttle modulation for you in the way its been programmed to do the most efficiently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts