Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like almost every time i shift into third gear my Focus will make a grinding noise. Under sedated drive conditions this rarely ever happens. However once i begin to drive a bit more aggressive this happens, and it worries me.

On another issue, my suspension is making a lot of chatter. Drives fine, no pull or alignment issues just noisy. Kind of makes me feel like my car is turning into a piece because of all the noises. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Try and jack the car up and make sure everything is tight. I broke a sway bar end link and it clunked around for awhile. They are cheap and easy to replace I'd check that. As far as the transmission, sounds like it could be your synchros, if you have your power train warranty left I would definitely have it checked out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Almost definitely a synchro going out in your transmission causing the grinding on third gear. I know from experience. I bought my focus for really, really cheap because of a "bad" transmission. It ended up only being a bad syncro causing third gear to grind which is fairly common on foci. On a side note you can drive it like that for a while. I still haven't gotten around to fixing it on my focus, and probably never will. I've driven my focus over 75,000 miles with 3rd gear grinding, lol. I just shift from 2nd to 4th.

(sad part is that I'm so use to it now that I had forgotten that my car even had the problem)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my focus has 40k Miles on it, so I'm sure the power-train is still covered, I'll call a local dealer and see about an appointment for it. Aswell as to have the suspension looked at.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
431 Posts
yo buddy i have the same problem and let me tell you i got my car fixed cause i complained about the grinding and when i got it back it still did it they replaced ALL the synchros and washers bearings dude idk what is wrong man its pissing me off becuase when im racing i am blocked out of third but im trying to figure out this problem once i figure it out im going to let the world know hahahaha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts