Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried changing my rear shoes yesterday and broke off one of the hub/spindle bolts. Three of them are tight.

Is this safe to drive on (for a little while?) I'm taking it to a shop. I had a Neon and that car was easy to work on. This Focus sucks to work on. If it didn't drive so well, I would dump it. [mad]

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
wheels studs are easy to change. knock the old one out and use a lug nut to press in a new one. if your talking about the rear brakes the 4 bolts holding the spindle to the car i would pull the hub off the spindle and then the spindle from the car. try some heat and weld a nut onto the stud thats left. worst case new spindle.

and i assume its safe, not something i would do, but you can pass a safety inspection with one lug missing.

if its the bolt holding the spindle. not sure but missing bolts in anything holding the car up i wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Its gonna require removing the entire spindle and drilling the old bolt out and replacing it with a new one. If that fails then your stuck with buying 4 new bolts and a new spindle. If "a little while" of driving implies driving it straight to the shop while being very careful then I would say you will be ok.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
3 lug bolts for a little while will be ok.

3 spindle/hub bolts (backside of trailing arm) isn't ok as they're small to begin with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wheels studs are easy to change. knock the old one out and use a lug nut to press in a new one. if your talking about the rear brakes the 4 bolts holding the spindle to the car i would pull the hub off the spindle and then the spindle from the car. try some heat and weld a nut onto the stud thats left. worst case new spindle.

and i assume its safe, not something i would do, but you can pass a safety inspection with one lug missing.

if its the bolt holding the spindle. not sure but missing bolts in anything holding the car up i wouldn't risk it.
There are no safety inspections in OH.

I tried doing the rear drums yesterday and I went to take the hub assembly off (four bolts) and one was super corroded. The second one broke off entirely.

One of the lug screws is not broken off, (OMG NO), one of the four bolts at the back of the hub assembly is broken off. (I was doing a shoe change)

Is this OK? I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow morning and I drove it to work earlier this evening.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
No its not ok and you should drive it to the shop ASAP.

And next time just remove the axle nut in the center of the drum. Much easier for everything involved.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just take it off.

With it off, it should be easy to remove the broken bolt from the spindle.

Get another bolt and reinstall.

If it's a bottom bolt, you're really risking snapping the other bottom bolt, and having the spindle break loose.........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts