Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended Team O'Neil Rally School a while back and loved it. I also had a taste of motorsport when I went to an 2-day HPDE at NHIS. Both things told me that I wanted a caged car that I could go to the occasional track day with, and then swap off suspension and eventually do a stage rally with.

Taking a look around on Special Stage, I noticed a Group 2 Focus for sale. And this was a WHILE back, something like August, to give you an idea of how long it's taken to set this all up. And after talking to the owner for a while, it seemed like we were going to be able to trade my PWSC SVTF for his rally car.

Then there was the matter of setting up the deal and physically trading the 2 cars. Eventually that all got squared away, and now I'm the proud owner of a SCCA ProRally era rally car.

There's plenty of things to work on, but I made sure I knew what I was getting into.
- I had a NASA Rallysport scrutineer check out the car's cage. He said he personally would let the car run unmodified in 2009, but that there would be a few recommended updates to the cage. The 2 biggest ones I'll probably go ahead and do are a full diagonal on the main hoop and a roof brace.
- tons of suspension modifications that I'll need to learn how to service. Let's just say there's a lot of zerks down there where there didn't use to be
- Some drivetrain modifications that disqualify the car for Rally Spec Focus. The most expensive of which to fix is a straight final drive gear.

I'll be sure to get pictures up and a to-do list of things to work on for the car. The plan is to have it all examined and all the documentation read over for a rally cross in early January.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
any pics of the car?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get to it. I dunno why pics are so important for a rally car. It's got the worst paint, which is cracked in one place by a deer that tried to hop in the car during a rally. I will post some pics of the interior, which is much much more interesting.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, i wanna c the interior, not so concerned about the xterior. i wanna see the cage

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wanna see the cage
According to the PO, the cage is a duplication of the early Group N cages Foci ran when they were first rallied in Europe. It is not as safe as it could be. In addition to there being V braces for the main hoop instead of a full diagonal, the door bars are very low.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By "straight final drive gear" do you mean the final drive has gears that are straight cut for strength vs. gears that are cut at an angle? Any idea of the final drive ratio?
Yeah, it's a straight cut gear with a final drive ratio of 4.50

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, how about some pics?

The new office. I wish:

Gauges, rally computer, switches, kill switch, and fire system.

Shifter and hydraulic e-brake.

Expired seat and 6 point harnesses. I'll have to update before I do a stage rally.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
nice..... I was thinking something like this as a project rally car for my next project, in quite a few years, lol. see, people just love photos of rally cars, no matter how effed up they are. good trade I say, actually it's cleaner than I thought it would be [thumb]

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cage pics for mlbbaseball. A bit tight, but some interesting details nonetheless.

The cage uses a main hoop and 2 half laterals. This is illustrated on page 8 of Appendix E of the 2008 NASA Rally rules.

Detail of how the front connecting member is attached to the half lateral. Note the 'tree root' reinforcement around the bent part of the half lateral. The scrutineer said it was a good idea, but the 2009 regs call for a straight bar that spans the two legs of the bend, so I'll probably get that welded in at some point. Note the plate that connects the connectinng member to the roof.

A shot of the backstay. The X is optional, a main diagonal is enough per the rules. Note the plates and tons of welding that hooks each end to the strut tower.

The harness bar might have to be moved for modifications to the main hoop.

Main hoop. Note the lack of a main diagonal. The old rules permitted V bars, and the previous owner had very low V bars put in. They don't even show in this picture. If a main diagonal is put in, then the harness bar will have to be moved back. Note the Terraphone setup hanging off the hoop. Both the driver and codriver can plug their mic and headphone into that and talk over the din of the car.

Shot of the front leg of the half lateral. It is tucked very tight against the side of the car and runs through the dash plastic. On the other side, it displaces the light control, which has to be shifted a bit.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Done:
- mounted spray nozzles and fluid hoses to original hood
- replaced windshield. Story below
- covered hood vent for big snowstorm tomorrow.

Todo:
- swap hoods
- get inspection sticker
- find way to protect inboard fuel lines so I can toss tires in the back to take to rallycross

Story:
When I was testdriving the car with the OP, the hood suddenly flew up and cracked the windshield. The OP had forgotten to reattached the hood clips. Thank god it wasn't a metal hood. I bet that woulda smashed the glass outright. Anyways, the force of the smash basically cracked the fiberglass backing on the CF hood, making it very floppy. I'm gonna swap and attempt to epoxy the CF hood into better shape.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Very nice man... i want something like this , but, whats under the hood?? .. just a regular zetec engine?..

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.