Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get some of your thoughts on the torque vectoring system they've put in the Focus. I recently punched through a corner in 2nd gear and was amazed at how it handled. Since it's FWD it's obviously understeer-prone, but I could feel the TVS controlling and stabilizing my power through the corner. Honestly, I was pretty impressed. I come from driving a 1996 v6 Mustang, which is a completely different beast. Not much horsepower, RWD, and no traction in the rear wheels which basically meant apply power very carefully so that you don't end up backwards. [:D] I was really quite surprised at how well the torque system worked to give me stability. There is a decent amount of body roll, but with stiffer springs and some sway bars I think it would handle very well. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
There is a decent amount of body roll, but with stiffer springs and some sway bars I think it would handle very well. Your thoughts?
Minimal roll with the Titanium Handling Package. I suggest you get yourself some stiffer springs and one of those Steeda rear sway bars and you'll be good to go!

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I also have the 5 speed SE Sedan with sport package and I don't consider the body roll to be anywhere near unacceptable. I've done my share of tracking/autox'ing (not yet with this car). I've pushed my car a bit and have a very hard time getting the tires to even begin to break from the asphalt (squeal).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't saying that the body roll was unacceptable, I was just saying it could be improved.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I love the way the car handles. I do have the 18" Michelins though, and I would be scared to see how much it takes to break this car loose. I guarentee the torque vectoring saved me from what could have been a bad accident on the highway one day.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Agree, body roll could definately be improved ... I have a Titanium with Handling pack and find there to be significantly more body roll than I'm used to coming from the Mustang world. I'll be replacing sway bars soonish, but not touching springs in my daily driver.

I personally have never been able to notice if the torque vectoring is doing anything usefull or not. FWD has it's own particular feel vs. RWD when it comes to lots of throttle while turning. It feels like any other FWD car I've driven that has decent suspension.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Maybe I don't get it. The car is top of it's class in suspension, yet everybody still complains about "signifigant" body roll. It's an economy car. If you want sports car handling buy a sports car.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I owned a Contour SVT for 12 years before buying the 2012 Focus.
I can say the Focus is almost as good as the Contour SVT. If the Focus had great tires, and shocks,and stiffer roll bars.. it would be BETTER than the Contour SVT for handling. And that is saying a LOT.
Most cars.. one corner and it is clear they are just crap. not so the Focus. [woot]
(PS I do not think it needs stiffer springs at all)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I notice no roll at all! But then again, my last car was a 2002 Escape - not really made for fast cornering.

I've only made my 18" tires squeal once - basically had to do 35mph going into a residential-type 90 degree turn.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I've only made my 18" tires squeal once - basically had to do 35mph going into a residential-type 90 degree turn.
I have a 270 degree decreasing radius off ramp up the road from me that has a suggested speed of 25mph. My tires don't squeal until about 50mph, but the under steer starts being really noticed at that point too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beta you're killin' me. Nobody in this thread has "complained" about body roll. I understand the Focus should not handle like a Ferrari, or my previous Mustang which had a significantly lower center of gravity. My point is, with stiffer springs and the inclusion of sway bars the car would handle even better...

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Beta you're killin' me. Nobody in this thread has "complained" about body roll. I understand the Focus should not handle like a Ferrari, or my previous Mustang which had a significantly lower center of gravity. My point is, with stiffer springs and the inclusion of sway bars the car would handle even better...
Usually I'm killing the crowd when I'm behind the turntables. Today I seem to be killing the internet. Not in this thread specifically, but there have been a few people on this forum who have complained about body roll. Now that you say this this way I couldn't agree more. Of course the handling would benefit from stiffer springs and stiffer sway bars. That's just how it works. For the stock set up this car is amazing. To be honest I never thought about pushing my Civic that I used to have with adjustable suspension that was properly set quite to the limits I push this car stock. I honestly barely notice the body roll, but I also came from a 2000 Protege that was getting to the point I was scared to drive it in a straight line.

·
Registered
336 Posts
car handles amazing. yes there is bodyroll but lets face it if your taking it to the track your going to have an upgraded suspension. I used to drive a Honda Odyssey that i took autocrossing a couple times and you just gotta feel out the bodyroll and adjust.

Cant wait till the spring for autocross season to come back around with this little bad boy

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 270 degree decreasing radius off ramp up the road from me that has a suggested speed of 25mph. My tires don't squeal until about 50mph, but the under steer starts being really noticed at that point too.
How much are you into the throttle in the curve? It's quite noticeable when you get 3/4 - WOT coming out of a corner.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
How much are you into the throttle in the curve? It's quite noticeable when you get 3/4 - WOT coming out of a corner.
Now that you mention it I don't think i notice the under steer until I'm coming out of the apex and getting on the gas. I'm slowly coming off the throttle through the apex because of the decrease in radius. I get myself down to 3rd gear before i start the turn and ride it all the way through.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a Titanium with the handling package and I'm amazed how well the car handles. My other car is a supercharged 06 Mustang GT with the Ford Racing suspension pack and several other suspension mods. With this said, I am still grinning from ear to ear in the Focus in the twisties. Needs about another 400 horsepower though. [:D]

In all seriousness, I'm not seeing much body roll. I'm not sure what other people are comparing it to, but I'm always surprised when someone claims about to much shifting of weight in the corners. I've been on this forum for a while now and I've seen more than my fair share of other positive comments about the way the new Focus handles, even from people with some pretty prestigious sports cars.

Tony

·
Registered
117 Posts
My comment may have been a little harsh earlier. The Focus handles great compared to many other vehicles I've driven, and that is important to me. I'd say it has less body roll stock than my '96 Eclipse GST had with aftermarket sway bars on it. For me, this is my first daily driven economy car in 20+ years of driving and it performs more than well enough as that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now that you mention it I don't think i notice the under steer until I'm coming out of the apex and getting on the gas. I'm slowly coming off the throttle through the apex because of the decrease in radius. I get myself down to 3rd gear before i start the turn and ride it all the way through.

Posted via FF Mobile
Find a curve where you can go WOT just past apex and you will feel the vectoring response. On an off ramp you probably don't get enough throttle to make it noticable.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I find the 'body roll' acceptable yet it doesn't seem to corner as flat as my zx3. I could be my imagination but it seems to actually corner and generally handle better at higher speeds than around town, which is where i notice the body roll more. any thoughts?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Find a curve where you can go WOT just past apex and you will feel the vectoring response. On an off ramp you probably don't get enough throttle to make it noticable.
My said off ramp goes on to another highway. I did feel it once on an on ramp that starts with a 20mph 90 degree turn.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts