Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer the look of the 18" 5 spoke AL wheel,but live in the NYC area and go to the Catskills often in the winter.Assuming I could just change the summer tires to all-season's,any other disadvantages?
If I bought a second set 17" wheels on Ebay cheap and threw on a set of ASR's,any problem fitting them ? Spacers needed,clearance issues? Quite often sensors are calibrated for wheel size but could live with speedo off for a few months as I dont push it much over 10-15+mph over the speed limit when cruising.
Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don't quite understand the question, but there is no disadvantages between the two sizes, but it's also kinda vague response, without specifics it kinda the thing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mzfocus;7141129.Assuming I could just change the summer tires to all-season's said:
I don't quite understand the question, but there is no disadvantages between the two sizes, but it's also kinda vague response, without specifics it kinda the thing.
Here are the two questions Bogey,...

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Without knowing the specs of your new wheels (the 17s) it's impossible to tell if they'll have any clearance issues.

17" tires are cheaper so since you already have two sets of wheels I'd say just keep winters on the 17s (if they fit) and summers on the OEM 18s.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Also, 17's will have more side wall. That usually comes in handy on rougher roads when they are snow covered, soak up some more of the road better than 18. Also, cost on 17" tires will be less than 18", thats always a perk.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Wheels & Tires

We just had a discussion on tire width here, one on diameter can join it!

Whenever you change diameters, tire size selection compensates to get the same overall diameter so (when done right) sensors shouldn't be affected. I've seen threads on MkIII GPS system being thrown off without a Dealer reset for a different size in the past, some of those turned out to be System problems but a smaller difference might affect the estimates for that.

17's would be better than 18's IMHO, and tire selection/price better.

Winter tires are better than all season ones for bad weather, but anything other than summer tires is an improvement. When going for a second set for a few winter months, I don't see the point of half measures myself. Cheaper set of Snows beats all season ones, and aren't bad as a compromise between fancy Snows & all season tires.

You didn't mention what they're going on, so we can't guess further on wheel/tire options/fitment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would go with 17" wheels or 16". One thing to keep in mind is POTHOLES!!!
Anybody in the snowy states knows about what happens every year: car-swallowing potholes. The more sidewall you have, the less of a chance of bending a wheel... and actually heck, you may like the smoother ride.

I'm from Michigan (home of the Polar Vortex) and my paved roads are about as good as most state's dirt roads. I am well aware of the need for proper winter tires and wheels. Get as much sidewall as you can to protect your baby... and heck it will get the car a little higher off the ground for better ground clearance from the snow! [twothumbs]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts