Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday (Wednesday) morning on my way into work; my headlights, fogs and heater suddenly change their output from 100% to 50% for a few seconds then back up to 100% simultaneously. A few more minutes down the road, again it happens, only they stay that way and the battery light comes on. Fearing the worse (and barely seeing anything in the dark with the small amount of light my car was throwing out) I turn around and take the car home.

Now when I had AAA come to the place yesterday, he checked my battery and said it was fine. So he assumed that it was most likely the alt. I had him take my car to F-Stone so they could look it over today.

I asked the tech to run an electrical diagnostics to see if he can pinpoint the Alt, battery, or something else. I get a call back this morning that everything checked out ok and everything passed. He asked me again what happened, and I told him how my lights have been dimming constantly (interior and exterior) and what exactly happened yesterday. He told me that he would run the car for longer to see if the battery light comes on and then would run the electrical test again.

I just got a call back stating that after the car has been running for over an hour, there has been no problems with the electrical system passing the tests. He said he would change the alternator if I wanted to. But can't tell me that it is the problem. I told him I'll wait to see if it happens again.

Anyone have any ideas?

ETA:

Just called him back to see what the "Electrical Test" all entails. I wanted him to check all of my grounds, battery cables, etc to make sure that it was all good too. He told me that it includes all of that. I asked if the test was performed with a full load. He said yes, he had the highbeams on, air, wipers interior lights all on high. I asked about the fogs and he said no. He wasn't aware I had fogs. I told him that the relay screwed to the inside of the engine compartment was for the fogs I installed in October. He thought they were for halos that he thought my headlights had [?|] . I notified him that the dimming issue had been going on for years, well before I installed them. But the fogs/switch could possibly be a reason for a short. I asked him to run the tests again with the fogs included which he agreed to do. Now I wait to hear back from him.

Unfortunately, the car isn't truly running/driving for bumps to be experienced and other variables in the equation.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thats weird^^^^^

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah no kidding Bruce. but if you haven't seen my edit, my fogs/harness/switch wasn't included in this. so he's running the test again with that included in the load.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thats great,,,,

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, just called and still everything passed. ahah. The one time I want it to fail!

He suggested I take it to a local shop that does nothing but electrical in vehicles. He said that they are known for checking all wires and lines for issues.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Have you checked your grounds? Or added another?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not added any grounds (except for the one attached to my fog wiring harness). Shortly after installing the fogs, I cleaned the major grounds from rust and paint in the engine compartment, along with the battery terminals.

The tech did check all cables and grounds for the electrical test he ran. He said they all looked good.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd add another one from the motor to the frame,,, just for good measures.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd add another one from the motor to the frame,,, just for good measures.
I can do that. Thanks for the suggestion Bruce.

Something has got to be lose for that to happen. Of course, he won't experience it if the car isn't being driven.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Have you inspected the underneath umbilical for cracked or broken wires? It goes from the trunk lid to the car body?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did check the main harness, that provides voltage to the taillights and trunk light, where I could and did not see anything that was an issue (cracks, tear, wear). That was checked at the same time I was cleaning my grounds.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I picked my car up. As soon as I got in and began pulling away the battery light came back on. I immediately turned around and told them. They said that the triple checked everything and it all passed. Said that there was nothing more they could do unless I wanted them to replace something. Again, advised I take it to the electrical shop so they could go over my electrical with a fine toothed comb. $26 down the drain. Well not so much. They checked other things and other than my horrible exhaust, said my oil is low (another thread). Well I made two stops at stores and the light would come on after about 30-45secs.

So when I got home I decided to remove all the fuses to the lighting I put in the interior. I also removed the fuse to the fogs and unplugged the fog relay from the relay socket. I started the car back up and after revving the engine and running it, the battery light did not come back on after ten minutes. Knock on wood that I narrowed down the cause.

I'll look into it more tomorrow in the daylight.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stats recorded by the electrical check were:
Measured 521CCA
Rated 600CCA
Voltage 12.89V

Cranking:
10.91V
181.1A

Charging System: