Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my PZEV, I hate my ugly black door guards. [?|] I don't want to have to have the friggen things custom painted. I've seen a cool article with pictures on how to mask off the whole car and paint them but I really am not comfortable doing the critical cosmetic work to the exterior of my car.

Has anybody taken them off? I see there is some double stick tape in there, but is that it (meaning; are there holes under there)? Does anybody have a pic with them off?

Gawd, somebody help me - these things are really ticken me off. I just want them off the car and I'll buff off the double stick tape, but I don't want to screw something up.

arrrrrggggg ... I can't be the only one who feels this way!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Even if you did take them off you would have a depression where the things were and it would just look horrible. The cheapest way to rid yourself of it is to get them painted.

·
Registered
386 Posts
yeah, I hate how those mud guard things look as well! I wish they made the mirrors and door handles painted as well. I am not sure how much it will cost to do the work, but I am really intrested in getting it done sometime in the future

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
youll need to get them painted. taking them off will look tacky. i got mine painted for 50 dollars including the 4 bottom molding things and the two side ones.

·
Registered
386 Posts
wow...not bad...I should start looking for a shop ta take care of it for me over a weekend or something!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$50 ... that's nothing. I was expecting much more than that. Did they take them off for you? I'm really afraid of screwing something up since I don't know what I am doing. Guess I had better just get to a body shop, eh? ... ok, I'll shut-up and start looking.

Oh, and I agree, I don't think it would look very good with them off - so really, the paint deal is the only option.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
You can take it to a body shop and have them remove the side moldings, fill any holes/indentations and have it painted. I think they called this 'shaving'. It won't be cheap but it will give you the result you are looking for.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Cost

I am really suprised you found someone to do it for $50! That is really cheap. Of course, it may depend on the paint and prep you have them do.

I asked my Dad what price to expect (he has been a Bodyman or 30 years) and he said at least $100. Now, the price will level out if you bring a few more items and do at least some of the prep yourself. The sanding and such takes a long time to do well and time equals money.

I recently got quotes on my wing being painted and the lowest was $100 but the average was $190! Shop around and try to see some of their work. Also go and take note of the cars that are there. Then go back in a week or so. Check for progress on the cars. If they are the same as last week, you may want to keep looking.

Also, ask questions about the materials they will use. Make sure it is quality paint and clear coat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx EastTexFocus. That's good information. I did think that $50 was kinda cheap - but I guess I'll find out when I look. I'm looking at getting a body kit also along with some projector lights and spoiler. Like you said, I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper to take it all in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts