Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I start up my car today and I remebered that I left my wallet inside. I go back inside, and when I come out, it sounds like there is some electrical popping coming from underneath the hood (or bonnet). I run for the ignition and quickly turn off the car. I pop the hood (or bonnet) to see if any damage has occcured. There were a few more pops after shutting off the engine, but nothing visually seemed wrong. I restarted the car and the popping started again. I looked around the engine, and I noticed black flakes shooting from underneath the heat shield. After a few more seconds, the popping stopped alltogether, but there were a bunch of those black flakes laying on the ground. Anybody know what this was? It had been raining pretty hard that morning too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your exhaust could be leaking! And when the exhaust heats up it seals shut. pull your heat
shield off and see what it going on.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't hear any exhaust leaking, but you might be right. I replaced the exhaust manifold about five months ago. I know I replaced all of the nuts and the exhasut manifold gasket, but I can't remember if I replaced the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter flange gasket or not.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
sounds like the cat might be dieing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts