Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question no our sweet D-teck's...

Do we have what Ford calls a "Y-pipe system"...refuring to our HO2S or as we know them 02 sesnsor....

thanks in advance..
-Guy

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have not heard of this terminology used with the exhaust. They could be referring to the PZEV duratec, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Y-pipes are typically used for V engines.
I know this, but we are referring to the Focus here. The Y-pipe could also be any pipe shaped like a Y. I do not recall any being on a non-PZEV 08.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
From my 08 Manual:

Underbody Catalyst
The underbody catalyst is located after the light off catalyst. The underbody catalyst may be in line with the light off catalyst, or the underbody catalyst may be common to 2 light off catalysts, forming a Y pipe configuration.

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes this is what I'm talking about Brad, I know that Y-piping is typically a V-engine terminology but do we use that w/ the o2 sensors? most Y-piping engines have the 3 o2sesnors....like my car but I don't know if this is the right terminology or not...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I knew Brad would chime in here. Good job Brad!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i thought y pipes are generally for dual exhaust??[???:)]

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, But im still comfused....this has been an on going thing for most of the 07 cat's out there...as soon as we put an aftermarket header(s)<------j/k on our cars what 02 sensor do we put in exactly? I have yet to figure this out. If you ask me, well I put in the most up stream one....but even that is as of now just an assumption. IDK I have talked to numerous Ford Service techs and still no final "yes use that one" I guess this will just have to be a mystery that goes unsolved through out the time of the hatches.....*sigh* I'm such a nooob!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well the first one would be the one that gets the reading before anything gets in the way correct? So to me that would mean that would be the most important information for the way the motor runs. After that it is just monitering the emisions equipment, correct? The second o2 is in the cat, so the gases are already starting to get converted, and the last o2 is after the cat so the gases are complelty converted. Those have no important information to help the motor run any better or more efficient.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
I have no idea if this applies to other years or not, but here we go from my trusty 08' manual.

The stream 1 sensors located before the catalyst are used for primary fuel control, the stream 2 sensors are used to monitor the light-off catalyst, and the stream 3 sensors located after the catalyst are used for long term fuel trim control to optimize catalyst efficiency.

Again, that's from my 08' manual and it's specifically referring to 08' PZEV models that have 3 HO2S, the non-PZEV models only have 2 HO2S.

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thanks Brad I think thats what I'm looking for. Although it still is for the PZEV(mine is not) and although it's for the 08's (mine is not) I think is hould be the same standard through out all years...I think this is what I was looking for thank s Sir.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They're probably used for pretty much the same thing down through the years.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
the first O2 sensor is the one that controls fuel on all cars period

the other ones are the ones you turn off with a tune when getting a race header

all you need is the first sensor

we do not have a "y-pipe"

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
the first O2 sensor is the one that controls fuel on all cars period

the other ones are the ones you turn off with a tune when getting a race header

all you need is the first sensor

we do not have a "y-pipe"
Unless you live where they have emission testing and/or inspections. In which case you'll fail as soon as they tap into your OBDII and find the disabled sensors.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
In which case I swap my old manifold back in, return the car to the stock tune, get it tested and then reverse. lol

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Or, do the mechanical fix with the anti-foulers so the ECU doesn't throw a CEL and leave everything alone when you go for your emissions test. Well, except for the tune maybe.

Do you know how they handle that (tunes) here in WA?

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Hmm, I just checked the WA. Emissions site and for 1996 and newer gasoline vehicles under 8501 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) it says;

"These vehicles will receive an On-board diagnostic test (OBD II) where the testing station's computer will easily and safely connect to your vehicle's computer to receive either passing or failing (trouble code) information on your vehicle."

Sounds to me as long as you're not throwing any trouble codes you should be OK.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts