Focus Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Are these the ones you outlined? Are these the EVAP hoses?
Yes, but there's more. Under the car near the charcoal canister.

When you mean discontinued, you mean not even available from third parties?
That's what a local Ford dealer told me. Couldn't find them online either. Anywhere.

I wouldn't worry though, the two EVAP hoses in the engine bay are probably not your leaker. They're made of nylon, covered with plastic wire loom. Unlikely to fail.

The EVAP purge valve (in the engine bay) and the canister vent valve (under the car) are more likely to cause trouble.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yes, but there's more. Under the car near the charcoal canister.

That's what a local Ford dealer told me. Couldn't find them online either. Anywhere.

I wouldn't worry though, the two EVAP hoses in the engine bay are probably not your leaker. They're made of nylon, covered with plastic wire loom. Unlikely to fail.

The EVAP purge valve (in the engine bay) and the canister vent valve (under the car) are more likely to cause trouble.
The canister and the valve were already replaced. So far so good. I think it’s fixed.

Otherwise, I’ve done miracles over the years with good old aluminum duct tape…

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think the red U shaped line goes to the canister and the red straight line goes to the intake manifold
That is correct, but the U shaped line is very short. It connects to a hard line near the firewall. The hard line runs back under the car to the fuel tank. Near the canister is a complex hose assembly that connects the canister and multiple components. Without dropping the fuel tank, it's impossible to see how they all interconnect.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So I have another mystery on my hands. Despite my car looking like new, there’s always some fixing to do. I always tell people that my Focus is in great shape but it’s worth close to nothing.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So today, my Focus engine ran rough again. No check engine light but when I scanned codes, the very small leak code was there. Since I have replaced everything at the back of the car I think I will replace the valve. Is this the good one for my 2003 Focus Zetec?

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Received my EVAP valve yesterday and unfortunately, it wasn’t the Motorcraft that I was expecting. Instead, I received a “Standard Brand” one. I popped the hood to verify if they were identical and made a few discoveries.

First discovery is that my mechanics removed the two screws holding it when he replaced the alternator. This might explain why something is different (could have delayed the small leak error and I only received a very small leak instead that doesn’t seem to bring the CEL). Just wiggling it could have provoked something.

Second discovery is that the new part that I received is missing a port with a green cap screwed on it. My guess is that this port must be some kind of service port to check the pressure level. So the new part doesn’t have that port on. As my mechanics friend said, it might be because Ford had issues with this port and just removed it (or the aftermarket company was too lazy to add this port. I check the cap and it can be unscrewed. However, before unscrewing it, I checked how tight it was screwed on and actually it was pretty loose. I am wondering if that would not be the source of the small leak.

I will not replace the part right away and since I am driving the car less and less because of lousy fall weather showing up, I may not know until next year. I am attaching a photo where the green cap can be seen. It would be interesting to know if other owners of models 2000 and 2004 have that same setup as mine.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Automotive design

·
Registered
444 Posts
Even Motorcraft eliminated the service port on replacement parts. If the cap was loose, that might be your small leak.

Looks like Motorcraft is no longer available from Rockauto. And they raised the price of Standard brand to match it, so you can't complain about the price difference. :mad:

my mechanics removed the two screws holding it when he replaced the alternator
You have to remove the purge valve, to make room to get the alternator out. Did he put the screws back in? Temporarily moving it out of the way should not be a problem.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Even Motorcraft eliminated the service port on replacement parts. If the cap was loose, that might be your small leak.

Looks like Motorcraft is no longer available from Rockauto. And they raised the price of Standard brand to match it, so you can't complain about the price difference. :mad:

You have to remove the purge valve, to make room to get the alternator out. Did he put the screws back in? Temporarily moving it out of the way should not be a problem.
Yes, it’s back where it should be. If the cap was a little loose it could definitely be the source of the leak. Maybe my friend tightened it inadvertently. I tightened it even strongly yesterday.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Motorcraft is no longer available from Rockauto. And they raised the price of Standard brand to match it
Correction, I looked at an old order and the price of Standard was $77.89 back then. If you paid more for Motorcraft and got a Standard, I would complain about the price difference, or send it back.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Correction, I looked at an old order and the price of Standard was $77.89 back then. If you paid more for Motorcraft and got a Standard, I would complain about the price difference, or send it back.
I was thinking about that but when I ordered last week, I think the price was similar for both brands (maybe by $10). I remember seeing them both at more than $100.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts