Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The switch was probably the evap solenoid. I know the car needs to be driven in order for a gas cap leak code to go away, takes a day or two. Longer if its a problem in series with the gas cap. Also, you replaced the hose connecting to the purge valve? Regardless, the ultimate test would be loosen the exhaust at the connections and see if the code pops up.
No I haven’t replaced hose and valve last fall because I do not use it in winter.

This spring, after a month, the exhaust system was leaking badly (I knew it was coming) and I also discovered that the battery had burnt cells so both were replaced. And I also had to replace the starter!

After all that work was done, error went away. I’m just thinking, maybe it was the battery because at one point, the engine started to stall running idle, prompting me to do a load test on the battery and finding that issue. For the exhaust, it became very noisy.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The switch was probably the evap solenoid. I know the car needs to be driven in order for a gas cap leak code to go away, takes a day or two. Longer if its a problem in series with the gas cap. Also, you replaced the hose connecting to the purge valve? Regardless, the ultimate test would be loosen the exhaust at the connections and see if the code pops up.
Well, now two months later, the issue hasn’t come back. Usually, I would have had this code a few times already. My next step was to replace the hose and then the purge valve. I’ll certainly do that if it ever comes back but there has to be a connection with the exhaust.

·
Registered
2000 SE
36 Posts
Ok so the exhaust has o2 sensors and the egr tube connects to the egr valve to the egr solenoid, which is connected to vacuum. Hence why it may be a vacuum leak and that's maybe how it's connected. Some issues will pop up as different codes based of a min and max value of said stat.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok so the exhaust have o2 sensors and the egr tube the connects to the egr valve to the egr solenoid, which is connected to vacuum. Hence why it may be vacuum and that's maybe how it's connected
I saw two sensor I think when we replaced the exhaust system: one before the catalytic converter and one after. We didn’t touch them. However, the exhaust was like a Swiss cheese, it was leaking here and there and not much was going to the tailpipe. It was the original exhaust from 2003.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
St

Not so fast. It's a complex mess of hoses near the canister and the fuel tank. From there a hardline runs to the firewall, and a nylon hose connects the hardline to the purge valve.

Maybe a picture would clarify what you mean.
I wouldn’t know where to look! And my back is so screwed that aside from changing the spark plugs, I’m not worth much!

I am a (retired) wiz but I only started learning basic of mechanics about 10 years ago. I read the theory but I have zero practice.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I can post one later today
One thing is sure, if it’s ending up near the EGR valve, I saw tons of hoses and wires there. I could take a picture of that tomorrow because my car is under a cover outside tonight (it’s raining and it was spotless clean). I took my Escape in the garage for a cleanup and a few touch ups. The bottom of the front doors on an Escape is hard to maintain. It’s a combat against rust!

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If you look just left of the brake oil container, you’ll see the EGR cables. There’s a module there and some hoses travel to the EGR valve which is left of the air intake.

There are also hoses right of the power steering oil container.

The EVAP valve and hose mustn’t be too far away. I would have to follow it from the canister to identify it. However, since it’s functioning normally now, I’m not going to do anything.

The EGR system is definitely connected to the exhaust system and I suspect that the EVAP system must need some vacuum to suck the vapours from the canister. I don’t know more than that. One of the hoses going to the EGR valve got disconnected by error when we replaced the starter and the check engine light was coming on every other day. That was an easy fix but I have no clue where the EVAP system is.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If you look under the hood it will tell you about your evap system that should help half way.
No need now since it seems to be working. I still have another 2-3 weeks of good potential weather and then the car will stay inside the garage for six months, except for a few good days in October with trees in colour.

My friend, a former mechanics, still has his lift in his garage so following the hose from the canister should be easy enough.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts