Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since 6-7 years, I am getting a code which mentions that there is a small leak (or very small) in my EVAP system. I changed everything from the gas cap to the canister. It hasn’t changed a thing. Basically, I should replace the hose and the valve near the engine. I am getting this code (check engine) about once a month and I usually just clear the code since this is not a priority in Quebec.

But, and this is the mystery, since I had my whole exhaust system replaced two months, the code hasn’t come back yet. Is there a relation between the EVAP and the exhaust?

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after two months, my EVAP code has never reappeared. Usually, I would get the code once a month (probably when the system is activated to clear the fumes). There has to be a link between EVAP and the exhaust system.

·
Registered
2000 SE
36 Posts
LOL. @amc49 I too have this issue. Always seems to pop up. I honestly believe the issue leeds up to the vacuum that is created with the intake manifold. The leak could be brake booster hose, evap connections, IAC gasket, fuel injector gasket, throttle body gasket or even intake manifold gasket. (Did I forget to name a gasket??) Possible hole in anything mentioned may be a cause. I have a strong hunch about this. Anyone disagree???? Let me know why. I need this fixed for sanity reasons :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL. @amc49 I too have this issue. Always seems to pop up. I honestly believe the issue leeds up to the vacuum that is created with the intake manifold. The leak could be brake booster hose, evap connections, IAC gasket, fuel injector gasket, throttle body gasket or even intake manifold gasket. (Did I forget to name a gasket??) Possible hole in anything mentioned may be a cause. I have a strong hunch about this. Anyone disagree???? Let me know why. I need this fixed for sanity reasons :rolleyes:
Well, my exhaust was leaking from everywhere because it was the original one from 2003. I had the whole thing replaced with a new Walker exhaust two months ago and the issue never came back (yet).

·
Registered
2000 SE
36 Posts
I did my exhaust and this poped up. P1131. The vacuum wasn't noticeable by the car going 55-65. The evap code would pop up going 80+. You very much might be on track with the answer but I gotta know for sure. My car will be out of the shop soon with new intake runner gaskets, ive replaced most gaskets for the vacuuming system because of the "small leak" code

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never had p1131. I did have an EGR code after replacing exhaust and starter but a vacuum hose had come loose. That was an easy fix!

That was June 29th and the EVAP code never came back since then. I am driving the car almost every day during summer except for rainy days. It should have popped already. Keeping my fingers crossed. I hope it won’t happen this afternoon. It was driving me nuts too.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The EVAP vent valve is on the charcoal canister. Both are located under the car near the exhaust. Maybe they got bumped during installation. I never had a small leak but I replaced mine anyway for PM.
Mine too was replaced 3-4 years ago but I was still getting the code every month. I think there is a hose going to another valve near the engine.

·
Registered
18,681 Posts
Neither of those can make an evap code. There's maybe 25 foot of evap hose on car going to various manifolding and a leak can be anywhere in that. Several things plug into fuel tank and all of those joints have to be air tight as well.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Neither of those can make an evap code. There's maybe 25 foot of evap hose on car going to various manifolding and a leak can be anywhere in that. Several things plug into fuel tank and all of those joints have to be air tight as well.
It’s a complete mystery to me. Hope the code won’t come back.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Common for fuel cap to make that leak and can be erratic.
This was indeed the first thing I replaced. But in my case it wasn’t that. My mechanics replaced the canister and a switch near the canister (not sure about the switch).

Next thing was to replace the hose and the valve and suddenly the error vanished after replacing the exhaust. It’s been a good two months already.

·
Registered
2000 SE
36 Posts
The switch was probably the evap solenoid. I know the car needs to be driven in order for a gas cap leak code to go away, takes a day or two. Longer if its a problem in series with the gas cap. Also, you replaced the hose connecting to the purge valve? Regardless, the ultimate test would be loosen the exhaust at the connections and see if the code pops up.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts