Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my SE this morning... overall very happy. Steering wheel directional buttons don't work and they need to order a part for it already, but besides that...

Sometimes when I'm idling or moving very slowly, the car kind of... shakes. It's hard for me to tell exactly what scenarios it's happening in, but I feel like that shouldn't be happening at all in a brand new car.

Is this car's engine just like that and I'm over reacting? I will admit that it's relatively subtle, but still noticeable.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
If you're driving with the PowerShift transmission, it's an "automated manual" and as such at low engine speeds i.e. when idling the car forward, it's got very LOW revs... if you've ever driven a manual transmission at low speeds or at idle you'll know that sometimes it "bucks" a little, as if it's about to stall, since the revs are so low, that's all the car is doing.

I have around 700 miles on the clock and it's become significantly less that it's happened to me.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Are you used to driving an conventional automatic? You're probably just overreacting to the automated manual. I found it's a bit indecisive when your foot isn't clearly on the brake or clearly on the gas pedal. The car is trying to decide which gear to be in for best mileage.

Heard it gets better as you break it in as well.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Are you used to driving an conventional automatic? You're probably just overreacting to the automated manual. I found it's a bit indecisive when your foot isn't clearly on the brake or clearly on the gas pedal. The car is trying to decide which gear to be in for best mileage.

Heard it gets better as you break it in as well.
Like I said above... after less than a thousand miles it's already become much less that it happens to me.

It's definitely catching on and responding much quicker to me... I feel like a lot of these reviewers criticizing the transmission haven't given it time to break it in, or the different drivers with different driving styles never give the transmission the chance to get used to one driver as the car would realistically.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am used to driving a conventional automatic, and have very little experience with manual transmissions. This makes sense though for sure. Good to hear that it becomes lesser with miles too. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Like I said above... after less than a thousand miles it's already become much less that it happens to me.

It's definitely catching on and responding much quicker to me... I feel like a lot of these reviewers criticizing the transmission haven't given it time to break it in, or the different drivers with different driving styles never give the transmission the chance to get used to one driver as the car would realistically.
Actually, the transmission does not "learn" anything about the driver. The TCM (Transmission Control Module) will "learn" (adapt to) the mechanical tolerances of each transmission, particularly the clutches.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've also noted that the DSG transmission can't decide what to do when you're inbetween the brake and gas. On the brake the clutches are clearly disengaged and the car is effectively in neutral... on the gas the clutches engage and the car is in gear.. when you transition between them the car isn't quite so sure, and it sort of just shudders I guess trying to avoid riding the clutch? Doesn't bother me, BUT it is different than a slush box.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't this is a transmission issue. It's seems to me, the shuddering at near idle is just the by-product of a small displacement direct-injected engine.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
On the brake the clutches are clearly disengaged and the car is effectively in neutral...
When you're braking (say to a red light), does your engine stay at idle (~750 rpm) and then go into first when you hit the gas again? Because my transmission downshifts through all 6 gears - which I find annoying. This is even worse in "sport" mode. It makes sense, because my car doesn't technically know when I'm going to hit the gas again - so it stays in gear. But if yours goes into "neutral" and then you can feel it go into gear once you hit the gas, I'd like to know...

Recently I've been putting it in neutral when approaching stop signs / stoplights because I think it feels /coasts more like a manual car and might even save with gas mileage...?

I can post a video later today if you don't catch what I'm asking...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't believe that shifting into neutral as you slow down approaching a stop sign or traffic light will save gas. In fact you will probably use more gas since the ECM (engine control module) is programed to shut off gas to the engine if you take your foot off the accelerator as you are slowing down while still in gear. I have a Scan Guage hooked up to my diagnostic port and the instant MPGs goes to 9999 when I take my foot off the accelerator. If you shift into neutral, the ECM will have to keep a minumal amount of gas flowing into the engine to keep it running at idle speed.

To address the original question of shudder/shake at very low speed or when the clutch engaged 1st gear on take off, my car did this somewhat also when it was new. But that shudder/shake has all disappeared now and did so by the time I had accumulated 500 miles on the odometer.

This automatic manual transmission does definitely take some getting used to as it performs like an automated manual transmission (Duh!), not like the traditional torque converter type of automatic tranny. One thing that took awhile to get used to was when backing out of my driveway - - when I shifted from R to D is was used to the car slowing down as the transmission put a forward "drag" on my reverse motion. With this car, when you shift from R to D you are actual in neutral until you press on the accelerator and the clutch begins to engage and the forward "drag" is applied.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I don't believe that shifting into neutral as you slow down approaching a stop sign or traffic light will save gas. In fact you will probably use more gas since the ECM (engine control module) is programed to shut off gas to the engine if you take your foot off the accelerator as you are slowing down while still in gear. I have a Scan Guage hooked up to my diagnostic port and the instant MPGs goes to 9999 when I take my foot off the accelerator. If you shift into neutral, the ECM will have to keep a minumal amount of gas flowing into the engine to keep it running at idle speed.
Ah, someone else mentioned fuel shut-off to me as well. Well, when you brake can you feel the car shifting through all the gears? Also, I noticed the car slows down a lot quicker when I'm in D as opposed to N. I'd think my car should shift to "neutral" by itself when I brake or let off the accelerator. It feels as if I were driving a manual car and downshifting through all of the gears which causes relatively quick deceleration. I just want to make sure my transmission isn't broken...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't this is a transmission issue. It's seems to me, the shuddering at near idle is just the by-product of a small displacement direct-injected engine.
Then shouldn't the folks that have manuals be experiencing it too? Maybe they are, I'm not sure.

I had an Audi A3 with a 2.0T direct injection engine and DSG transmission and it didn't shudder at low speeds like my Focus does, even when brand new. I am hoping it goes away soon - it's really annoying in stop and go traffic. Feels like its going to stall.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I am hoping it goes away soon - it's really annoying in stop and go traffic. Feels like its going to stall.
More so than just low idle RPMS, I think this goes hand-in-hand with my question. It's like the transmission tries to stay engaged with the engine while you're braking which would lead to stalling the engine...?

EDIT: I have rarely (once or twice) experienced the low-speed shudder- so it's not really an issue for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ah, someone else mentioned fuel shut-off to me as well. Well, when you brake can you feel the car shifting through all the gears? Also, I noticed the car slows down a lot quicker when I'm in D as opposed to N. I'd think my car should shift to "neutral" by itself when I brake or let off the accelerator. It feels as if I were driving a manual car and downshifting through all of the gears which causes relatively quick deceleration. I just want to make sure my transmission isn't broken...
I can feel my car shifting down through the gears but it's not at all intrusive and I'm not sure if the tranny goes through all the gears or jumps gears as you slow down. I suppose it depends on how fast you slow down - - whether you're just coasting or actively braking. I do notice that when the car is almost to a stand still the RPMs are still about 1400/1500 and it takes a second or 2 for the RPMs to get down to idle at 750 RPM. I think it's programmed that way to make sure that the engine does not stall before the clutch disengages.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
More so than just low idle RPMS, I think this goes hand-in-hand with my question. It's like the transmission tries to stay engaged with the engine while you're braking which would lead to stalling the engine...?

EDIT: I have rarely (once or twice) experienced the low-speed shudder- so it's not really an issue for me.
It's supposed to, it improves fuel economy, otherwise you'd be using gas while braking.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
It's supposed to, it improves fuel economy, otherwise you'd be using gas while braking.
I guess I thought that when I was braking and my engine jumped to 2k rpm that it was still using gas - when really it was just keeping the proper speed to match the tranny/wheels - but with no fuel... I guess this would help the fuel mileage then! Thanks for the insight, guys.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Indeed. It feels like a manual to me, low idle could be cause of the slight shudder... my Mazda did the same thing, when it was modded sometimes it dipped a bit and idled down near 700, it shuddered a bit like the Focus then, so I'm guessing it's just that.

Like a few of us have said now, it's all but gone with 500+ mi on the odo, so hopefully you don't experience this for too long!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine does this too. But I think it's partially normal because of how the clutches work and how the new type of trans works. I think it acts more like a manual trans sitting in neutral while sitting and idling... Like I said, mine does this but I think its sort of the way they are. Plus, depending on how many miles you have these issues may go away (drove a rental car that was a '12 Focus with about 2500 miles and it drove a little better than mine--but mine still only has about 800 miles on it--not quite "broken in" yet).

But, if it helps, I've test driven a lot of Focuses when I was going through the buying stage, and they all sort of did this too me. Some of the little things people mention I've noticed in almost every car I test drove, so I'm assuming that it is somewhat normal and that it will just feel different than other cars / previous Focus models. They changed a lot in the 2012 focus. Even going from the first gen to second gen, there wasn't too much change, other than some engine modifications and a facelift. So, keep in mind that the third gen is sort of like a "total remake" based on the Euro model Focus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dsg

The way the dual clutch DSG transmission works requires the the transmission always sequence through all the gears in order. There's no skipping from 6 to 3 or anything like that.

I personally believe that ALL cars will eventually have some form of DSG. All the performance and efficiency of a manual (actually better performance since it can change gears faster than any human could with a conventional manual) - without the need to learn to drive with a clutch. The DSG and the Direct inject engine were the two deciding factors in us selecting the 2012 focus over the competition. We were pretty much sold on MAZDA, but their DSG/SkyActive engine combo won't be out until next year... Ford wins by coming to market 1st.

I am waiting to see if the transmission smooths out a bit. I suspect it may as the clutches break in a bit. Even if they don't it's just one of the charms/quirks of the car and nothing to be alarmed about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts