Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the '12s are waaaaay faster than I initially thought. Sleeper?!

I clocked mine @ 7.2 seconds to 60 (two times at this, another run at 7.3), which is unheard of for a compact car! Has the Focus always been quick like this?

I drove my friend's Mustang (2003 V6) earlier and was surprised how much faster mine accelerated. Furthermore, my last car was a 2011 Mustang V6 and I could argue that it's only marginally slower than they are (stock, of course).

Wow! I just wanted to offer a little praise to this vehicle, because it definitely deserves it. Ups and downs, the overall quality and fun-factor this vehicle offers it really something else.

Compact car? More like compact racecar! [race]

Anyone agree? [burnout]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes I agree. It seems to have way more pick up than I expected. I unintentionally kill people off the line at lights. And on the freeway it's been more responsive in passes (and subsequent braking).

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's quick!
not fast
7.2 is respectable for a car meant for 30+mpg
when sct finally gets a tune i suppose 200hp will be obtainable and 0-60 in 6-6.5 which would be pretty sick

·
Registered
636 Posts
It's quick!
not fast
7.2 is respectable for a car meant for 30+mpg
when sct finally gets a tune i suppose 200hp will be obtainable and 0-60 in 6-6.5 which would be pretty sick
7.2 is respectable period. I know a lot of V6's that cant even manage that. I'd say the industry average 0-60 times for inline fours is somewhere between 8.5-9 seconds. The 2012 sounds mean too; with the intake resonator removed and with the DCT transmission it sounds kind of like a small racecar.(Ill try an upload a video of that soon, the ones one youtube currently don't do it justice) My friend from school has an old BMW M3 and even he was impressed with the thing; not that I plan on beating him in a race anytime soon[:p].

·
Registered
211 Posts
My mustang did 7.4 secs to 60 stock... so this is very, very impressive. the 6 speeds definitely help, it does feel quick, light, and agile, I haven't driven a Focus since a 2001 or 2002 SPI car my dad got for a loaner from the dealer once... that thing was horrible!

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's quick and fast. I am having trouble keeping the car under ~(Edit: the posted speed limit)~. From a stop acceleration wise it very quick. I love it. Thanks to the 6 speed auto tranny. My car is way faster then my mother 2008 focus which I think off the top of my head is a 4 speed auto?!?!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Furthermore, my last car was a 2011 Mustang V6 and I could argue that it's only marginally slower than they are (stock, of course).
Can I ask why you went from the 300hp V6 Mustang to the focus? Just curious because I'm thinking of ugrading to the new 5.0 next year

·
Registered
968 Posts
Consumer Reports bought two 2012 Focus models and clocked one at a 9.2 sec 0-60 and the other at a 9.3 sec 0-60. Not what I would consider fast. They were both automatics though. Perhaps the manual is a little quicker.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/how-we-test/acceleration/acceleration.htm
The manual is pretty quick...

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid601.photobucket.com/albums/tt99/mikebfutrell/VIDEO0004.mp4

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
But a full 2 seconds quicker? I don't know...sure didn't feel like it took me "9" seconds...
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
968 Posts
But a full 2 seconds quicker? I don't know...sure didn't feel like it took me "9" seconds...
Posted via FF Mobile
You can time mine in the video I took, definitely less than eight seconds.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well I am not so sure I would call it a fast car. Ordered mine more for the MPG with a decent handling and great looks. If I want fast I take the WRX (92x Aero) out for the day.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well I am not so sure I would call it a fast car. Ordered mine more for the MPG with a decent handling and great looks. If I want fast I take the WRX (92x Aero) out for the day.
Definitely not fast, but quicker than anything else that gets 40mpg.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
967 Posts
It's got way more power then my last car, better fuel mileage and much better acceleration, so I'm more then pleased. It's been a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Definitely not fast, but quicker than anything else that gets 40mpg.

Posted via FF Mobile
Like I mentioned earlier, I'd like to see it up against the new Mazda3... the new SkyActiv engine has higher output and rated at 40mpg on the highway. So I think we just lost in the gas mileage AND fun factor for the 2012 3 :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Can I ask why you went from the 300hp V6 Mustang to the focus? Just curious because I'm thinking of ugrading to the new 5.0 next year
The 5.0 is an engineering marvel... but the 3.7 is great, had the 5.0 not come out at all, everyone would be raving about the 3.7 in the stangs.

honestly, you can't go wrong either way lol just depends if you have the $30k for a GT or the $24k for the 6

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like I mentioned earlier, I'd like to see it up against the new Mazda3... the new SkyActiv engine has higher output and rated at 40mpg on the highway. So I think we just lost in the gas mileage AND fun factor for the 2012 3 :(
If I'm reading the specs right we have the SkyActiv by 5hp. The Focus has 160hp and the SkyActiv has 155hp. The Mazda with the 2.5 has 167hp.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.