Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wats up ya'll...

I own an srt-4 and its [:)][:)][:)]in fun to drive...only thing is payments and insurance are killing my ass...

Anywayz...I am practically a damn noobie for this svt crap and modding...and well im lookin into buying an svt when the right seller comes accross...

Just wanted to know what are the cons and pros of the car and what should i really do with it....is it worth putting money in the motor, or is it just going to be slow if i still do...

Tanx,
Netou

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
basically, the svt is a great car. It has awesome handling and is fun to drive. However, stock it is kinda slow. It does however respond great to bolt ons. THe svt can be made into a very formiddable opponet. Some people as far as I know can easily get into the 14's with just boltons. SO I will sum it up as a great car with awesome handling that responds well to mods, but has SOME relialabilty issues. If you can find a svt with low miles's I would take it. Overall, it is great bang for your buck. By the way, this should be moved into the general car and chat related are, not non general car and chat.

And P.S. [welcome]

To focus fanatics, and hope you decide to stay!

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
id go for it... i love my ZX3 (same chassis and motor) but the SVT has little extras in the motor that us ZX3 owners dont.... id go for it i love my ZX3 (obviously)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Btw, welcome to the forum.

The SVT can handle boost pretty well, though it's nothing like the SRT-4 as far as straightline performance potential goes. But it can tackle the twisty bits better than the SRT-4 could even begin to.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find that our cars are very nice cars. I agree with dwdgsi03. SVT + Boost = pure sex.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Well Netou, I can't help 'ya out with the "SRT/SVT" question, other guys here can do that.

But, I can tell you that I traded in my '04 SRT-4 for an '06 Focus ST.

SRT was powerful, to be sure ... but I wasn't really driving all that fast that much. Couple that with the fact that it was a real PITA for me getting in and out of the car because of the "Viper" seats, so I said "goodbye SRT - hello ST!"

Go with an SVT if you like, or consider an ST if you're in the market for a new car.

And always check for rebates first, as I recently received a $2500 Ford Rebate when I bought my ST.

I love the ST, and have no regrets whatsoever in having made the trade.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Wow, SRT guys trading in for a Focus. Interesting. You will definately be down on power coming over from a boosted Neon. But youll be in for a treat with crisp handeling, good fuel economy, and the versitility of a hatch back. (I was able to squeeze 34 MPG out of my SVT on the freeway with conservative driving) The SVTF is a fun ass little car, but be aware of reliability issues.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I <3 my ZX3 said:
id go for it... i love my ZX3 (same chassis and motor) but the SVT has little extras in the motor that us ZX3 owners dont.... id go for it i love my ZX3 (obviously)
Actually the SVT motor shares very little of the same parts with a reg zetec motor.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
wow and why, stay off the pedal and the is mpg issue and then order a bride from russia and get your insurance rate down. my svt is getting like 220 to the tank from in city driving. i would stick with your car. remember the grass is always greener on the other side!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well, you'll find plenty of people to tell you how great the SVT is, and I wont disagree on any points. But if you're thinking of a new vehicle, any vehicle, you should know what there is NOT to like first and formost, in my mind.

Reliability issues x2, tho I've had good luck with my 04. The gearing makes the car feel even slower than it is. The kind of instant-on response that makes tighter-geared cars feel quick isn't there in the SVT, 1st and 2nd are almost ridiculously tall (1st revs out around 42mph, 2nd @ almost 70). From a stop, the car feel slower than it is. From 20 to incredibly-illegal-anywhere-in-the-USA, it moves much better.

Also, I moved from a first gen Neon. I'm not sure how the gen2 sightlines are, but my Neon had great visibility at all corners- the Focus 3dr is a cave by comparison, over the shoulder and rear visibility is poor and the A-pillars are thick, which can make hard cornering, well, guess work honestly. The backing lamps are weak, with a tinted rear window I can't see spit at night backing up. It's almost like a game, but if I lose I back my car into something.

If I had to pick some more gripes, the shifter is 4" too low and 2" too far forward, the pedals need to move back or everything else needs to move up, unless you have really long arms. The car sits pretty tall, stock suspension anyway. I don't like the OEM clutch engagement, its at the very top of the (somewhat longish) throw, although the TSB clutch is apparently completely opposite, and I imagine most aftermarket clutches are too.

You may be used to this from the SRT, but we tend to chew through brake pads and clutches real fast. Average brake pad life seems to be around 25k miles, with clutches running the gamit from 15k to 60k+. The clutch is probably due to the deep first gear, and the brakes, well we stop on a dime so I feel like thats justified.

The steering is out of this world responsive, very tight and very direct, the car turns in on a level I couldn't have expected. However, the power assist, I feel, is over-boosted, and the feedback I get through the wheel is insufficient. It's not bad, its just not genius.

Take that all for what you will. I love the SVT, it's faster than I could ever need it to be, and it handles so good I'm almost scared to get even 9/10ths out of it. But it doesnt fit like a glove. Ergonomics are a big pet peeve for me, and if I can find a car with similar handling limits and power, but more of a cockpit interior (versus a delivery van), I'll think hard about trading in.

Good luck.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I have drivin both, honestly didnt like the srt-4. It was way worse in handling, didnt have the power i expected and didnt brake very well. The svt is a ton more fun to drive especially when you mod it and power isnt a problem when you start modding. Bolt on a Procharger on a stock svt and expect to see around 260hp +/- at the tires. If you find the right svt (example: without moonroof, or traction control) you can actually get one that weighs only 2499lbs. Mine with only a few changes has taken the weight down to the 2300 lb mark. You will love the svt if you love driving. Again, welcome to the forum man. Added note: to what he^^^ said about the gearing is correct, but keep in mind that the gearing is there more for auto-X racing, you would use mostly just these two if you were racing.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Silver03SVT said:
Wow, SRT guys trading in for a Focus.
The reasons why I traded in my SRT for an ST are in RED:

SPECS: Focus ST vs. Dodge SRT-4
(ST/SRT)

front headroom (inches): 39.1/38.4
rear headroom (inches): 38.6/36.7
front + rear leg room (inches): 78.3/77.0
front shoulder room (inches): 53.5/53.4
rear shoulder room (inches): 53.6/52.8
interior volume (cu ft): 94/89.2

curb to curb turning circle (feet): 34.1/38.9

[:)] [:)] [:)] [:)] [:)]

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wonder how boosted SVT's go up against stock SRT-4's. I have only seen 2 SVT's in my area where as there are like 987086875708798 SRT-4's. The SVT is more of a sleeper becuase no one knows what it is. The SVT is quick and the SRT is fast, if you understand what I mean by that. my insurance on the SVT isn't that cheap. I am 21 with a clean record. Full coverage with high premiums I pay $1009 every 6 months. I guess you should find an SVT and test drive it. good luck.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Dussin said:
... Full coverage with high premiums I pay $1009 every 6 months.
Sorry to hear that Dussin ...

I pay $390 every 6 months with Full coverage.

Ahh, one more reason to relish my golden years!

LOLOLOL

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
the SVT is a great car, but they have some issues with the stock clutch/flywheel. some one correct me if im wrong. intake mani, and i think that is it.

i dont own a SVT focus but i do have an 05 focus ST and i'll tell u that the insurance is cheaper than my old ZX3, my payment are very low, and overall im happy with it

my payments are like 265 and like 133-140 ins a month full coverage, i have an o5 focus ST, ive spend like 1300 in performance mods and i ran ~14.6 sea lvl corrected. it handles very well. spec v's, GSR's, Preludes, Si's, some mustang GT, SVT focus, are no competition to my modified 2.3. i always tend to kill SRT-4 at start, but once the turbo starts screaming they walk on me bad. i've had my car for 17k miles and 0 problems.

if you like to modify and build up, a focus is the way. SVT's and ST's focus are slow stock, but puts some $$$ and they can surprise a lot of people. stock for stock the SVT is better than the ST, thats if the SVT is in good conditions. but put in the put some mods in the ST focus and it will be faster, maybe handle better (because of weight distribution), and IMO look nicer

well thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i pay 135 a month 21 male one ticket for speeding a suspended license, you guys are getting raped and i live in one of the highest premiums in the country

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Fl3tCh said:
plus the neon was rated least safe car wasnt it? and that is why they dont make them anymore...that is what the dealers told me at least
As usual, dealers don't know squat!

The Neon had just simply outlived it's model cycle, and was replaced by a new vehicle. The Caliber.

That's all ....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.