Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how's it going. I'm 22 years old right now. Haven't done a day of college since high school and currently working in a steakhouse as a cook. Lately I've realized I need more than what my current job gives me, one being a better skill set, two I really just wanna see the world and other places and serve the nation. Any advice from current active duty or former military? By the way Im interested in the navy

·
Registered
102 Posts
Navy would be a good way to explore the world, Im in the Army. All Ive seen is the east coast, germany, iraq, kuwait, afghanistan, and Jordan.

If you want to do school, i suggest reserves or NG.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,320 Posts
Navy would be a good way to explore the world, Im in the Army. All Ive seen is the east coast, germany, iraq, kuwait, afghanistan, and Jordan.

If you want to do school, i suggest reserves or NG.
This^^^^^^^ The military is totally is different nowadays.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure I really wanna do school honestly. Not at the moment. I just really wanna do something different. Something that most people don't ever get to do.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,320 Posts
I'm not sure I really wanna do school honestly. Not at the moment. I just really wanna do something different. Something that most people don't ever get to do.
Where do you see yourself in 10 yrs? You could go talk to a recruiter.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Folks will say the military is different now-a-days, and I believe them. I did 21+ years in the Navy and I enjoyed it. I was a Radioman and it's because of that work that I'm making 100K + now. No college either. My advise would be, as suggested, talk to the recruiter. You can see a lot of the world. I actually sailed around the world. Your initial investment would probably be 4 years. Based on your current situation, even if you don't want to stay in the military, you'll come out of it with training and experience. You could do worse!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,320 Posts
Folks will say the military is different now-a-days, and I believe them. I did 21+ years in the Navy and I enjoyed it. I was a Radioman and it's because of that work that I'm making 100K + now. No college either. My advise would be, as suggested, talk to the recruiter. You can see a lot of the world. I actually sailed around the world. Your initial investment would probably be 4 years. Based on your current situation, even if you don't want to stay in the military, you'll come out of it with training and experience. You could do worse!
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[thumb]

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer your question Felix, I honestly don't know where i see myself in 10 years. From suggestions I think I'll just have to go talk to the recruiter now.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,320 Posts
To answer your question Felix, I honestly don't know where i see myself in 10 years. From suggestions I think I'll just have to go talk to the recruiter now.
Hey if you have nothing going, why not?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would think about what sort of job/career field you want to do long term (post military) and take up a job in the military that can compliment that. With that being said, you have to have the brains/test scores to get said position....which you'll know only when you take the ASVAB.

Having been a Marine for 8 years and a recruiter as well, as long as you qualify mentally, and physically for a position, don't let the recruiter try to force a job down your throat that you don't want, just so he can fill his shipping/job quotas (yes, they are real). If you qualify for a job, tell them you want it...regardless of what they say, eventually they will give it to you....don't accept a job you don't want. I know so many people(myself included) that the job they did in the military did nothing for them on the outside, other than "veterans preference".

As for which branch, that is going to be up to you. Each branch has a different "personality" and mentality. Consider this when you decide on a branch as well as everything else involved....uniforms, pride (you would have to in that uniform)...are you looking for just an escape from your current world or are you looking to be apart of something challenging?

Sure, each branch all serves the US and does essentially the same thing as far as serving your nation, but they are also very different as far as mentality, requirements, way of life, etc....regardless of who thinks they are the best. What kind of person are you?

You said you are looking at Navy. I may be a bit blunt here, and im not trying to convince you of one way or the other. Navy - Do you get sea sick? Chances are very good you will spend a large chunk of your time on a boat. Boat time is not luxury. its fairly close quarters with bare essentials most the time. Sure, you rotate land side, but depending on your job and timing, you may end up on a boat most of your enlistment. with that being said, you could be on land most as well. Navy is fairly laid back...ok, very laid back. IMO, they compete with the Air force as "most laid back" but you get the stereotypes and reputations that go with the branch, regardless of your opinion of them. Im not saying you cant hold yourself to higher standards on an individual basis, but "reps" and "stereotypes" didn't manifest on there own. They are founded in at least SOME truth. Of course, no branch is without its "S$#&bags", but some just have more then others.

It all goes back to what are your reasons for joining and what do you want to get out of it, but definitely consider a job that can help you on the outside.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I def hear what your saying. I can't honestly say I wouldn't be seasick. But at the same time I can't see myself doing anything else than the navy. I definitely know the life of the military isn't for everyone but I know I could handle it. I have a fairly decent understanding of how the military works. Or I think so at least lol. I come from a military family. Dad was in the navy for 17 years. Lived here in Virginia beach my whole life so I see a lot of the military a lot and have always been interested in it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I for sure want a job that would benefit me afterwards. My father made sure he did that. He was an avionics electrician in the Navy working on f14s. Then retired in 96 and went to work for Northrop Grumman afterwards doing exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just noticed your in VA Beach, Im heading there when I get back from this deployment in a few months.

Do you honestly want to live a full time life or is this a stepping stone to improve? If its a stepping stone, I suggest doing reserves and do college, they will pay a good amount for you to go. Then if you feel like you love the military, do ROTC and commision. College will be paid and you will be an officer with enlisted experience. I got off of active duty and joined the National Guard to do school, had shit luck and deployed again 2 months after I got to the unit.

If you decide to join, I do not suggest a combat job. I have 2 deployments now and have been passed up for jobs because I have no school. I also would not suggest being a mechanic. My buddy got out if the airforce to find that aviation mechanics dont have alot of options after 1 enlistment. If you choose to go the career path, pick a job that seems interesting, if you do not like the job you can reclass when you reup the contract.

Navy and Marines will give you alot more options to visit the world, the Army and Airforce are pretty much stuck either in the middle east or in europe. The Army and Marines value physical fitness more than the airforce and Navy, with the navy you will have to study for things. With the Army, I havent really studied for much. Even my EIB was easy enough to remember. The military is extremely rewarding and has given me alot of chances to better myself that I wouldnt have. I joined at 17 and went to basic, school was already payed for, and at 18 I had gone to 3 different countries. I highly suggest a medical or computer related job. One that gives a top secret clearance is even more of a benefit.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I spoke to a recruiter on the phone yesterday and I'm gathering some paperwork then going in to speak to him.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did my 4 years in Navy, was an EM2 (SW) when I left. Almost stayed but...I learned of using my learned skills (electrician/electronics and marine engineering) for a civilian career. Best thing I ever did- tons of demand for licensed merchant marine engineers in the marine world- pay is great. Lots of travel.
I'm NOT a school person either, used my GI bill for about a week trying JC after Navy and walked out. All the license tests etc I study for and do fine and all that's different.

Anyway serving our nation even for a little while and learning, being trained and gaining experience you get no where else is a win win.

Best of luck in your decision !!!

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
I guess I can chime in here. I served 10 years In the USN, Navy Seabees, the military's choice for construction anywhere, anytime. Unlike most of the USN, we were required to keep our physical fitness standards on par with the USMC. Being in the 'Bees, we served with SEALs, EOD, SWCC, Marines, Army Delta and a few other cool initials. We learned all the weaponry, became experts at it, yet maintained a construction knowledge base as well. We would go into places, sandy places, with small teams of high speed/low drag fellas and conduct recon on roads, bridges, airports, tunnels, bunkers, rail yards etc......... A lot of times, we blew said stuff up via airstrikes. We would then go and perform Bomb damage assessments to see if our boys could cross the bridge, or if we could land the planes, choppers or harriers. I'll admit, it was a lot of fun.
We went to places the boat floating Navy didn't go. Flew everywhere we went, no ship time. Our first job is construction, followed by infantry. We were Marines, with brains. No offense to the Leathernecks here. Look into the Seabees if you are interested. It's a good place to start a career and an excellent place to branch out to something else, if you like...................ie, SEALs, EOD, SWCC, RDC etc.........Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hey guys how's it going. I'm 22 years old right now. Haven't done a day of college since high school and currently working in a steakhouse as a cook. Lately I've realized I need more than what my current job gives me, one being a better skill set, two I really just wanna see the world and other places and serve the nation. Any advice from current active duty or former military? By the way Im interested in the navy
If you have not yet seen the old thread below you might be interested in some of the points discussed in it:
Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Military Fanatics > Military question

You have the advantage of still being relatively young, but what I said in that thread might still apply.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well I spoke to a recruiter on the phone yesterday and I'm gathering some paperwork then going in to speak to him.
Keep us updated on what you choose to do. And if you do enlist, let us know how you like it. I know I was lucky and had folks that "guided" me through my rebellious years. I ended up retiring as a Senior Chief Radioman/E8.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts