Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a 2002 SVT. I like the car, even though the leather seats have some wear on them. Aside from that, its in excellent condition and has only 34000 miles. I have a question and a worry, both of which I hope can be addressed by you forumfolk.

Concern: How likely is it that the clutch is going to go? I have it on good authority that the car has not been driven hard, and 34000 miles isn't much, but I have heard awful things about the clutch on these cars.

Question: How is the quality of the Audiophile systems sound? I don't want crazy booming bass, just accurate sound reproduction.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
the stock stereo set up is great...the bass is there but you can choose to turn the sub off..

about the clutch its really hit or miss..if it feels good now id say its really up to your luck from here on and how easy you are on the drivetrain.

ps: you can listen for clutch chatter...or maybe a through bearing rattle...those may be signs of abuse or clutch failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just worried reading through these forums, it seems like 65000 is the maximum lifespan for the majority of the clutches. I don't want to have to get something like that fixed.

I guess what I'm asking is, is the clutch dying a premature death the exception or the rule?

·
Registered
891 Posts
do it. 2002 with out traction control is good. Mine is an 02 with 93K on a stock clutch. You should be fine. What I would also do is get the vin number and go to a ford dealer to get the dealer history. Other than that 30K miles is a great.

The sound system is hecka nice for stock. Clear and bass is good for an 8'' sub. No need for replacement.

·
Registered
191 Posts
it really wasnt the clutch it was the flywheel.ford sent a tsb but never a recall. i changed mine because i run it hard. they might have driven the car nice but was this there first stick. u never know just make an account for if the time comes because eventually everything breaks

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
I say if your that worried about fixing it in the near future or if your not going to enjoy the car because you don't want to ruin the clutch i say just get a zx3 and have fun making it look like an svt :), i don't want to make you feel like its a bad idea to buy the svt but im just trying to weigh options here. You don't want to get stuck with something your not going to enjoy that is KEY when buying the car IMO. The zx3 and SVT are really not that diff 6spd/5spd, little more hp, the suspension, and obviously some other things. I say just make sure your happy..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'll get it. The price is good enough (2002, 34k miles, 7500), that I can afford to replace the clutch if it goes out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah just get it, a little over a year ago i got my 02 with 30k on it but i had to replace the clutch shortly after that since it was my first stick and the previous owner had beaten the clutch up. (by the time i replaced it it was worn down to the fastners holding down the friction surfaces)

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I personally wouldn't get an '02 to be honest. The trans is real hit or miss that year and the factory tune was garbage, among other things. I know there are plenty of '02s that don't have problems, but I would go with an '03 or '04 if I had the choice.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I say if your that worried about fixing it in the near future or if your not going to enjoy the car because you don't want to ruin the clutch i say just get a zx3 and have fun making it look like an svt :), i don't want to make you feel like its a bad idea to buy the svt but im just trying to weigh options here. You don't want to get stuck with something your not going to enjoy that is KEY when buying the car IMO. The zx3 and SVT are really not that diff 6spd/5spd, little more hp, the suspension, and obviously some other things. I say just make sure your happy..
I take it that you've never driven a standard ZX3.....[poke][slap]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts