Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking if I remove most everything from the front end, including the bumper, I might have enough room to drop the engine and trans out of the car instead of trying to pull it out the top.
But, to get it high enough I'll need to crib up the front and back. The back should be good enough with a couple big jack stands, and the front I think I can get high enough with some 4x4 cribbing.

What I wondering about is where is the best place to do this? I have the shop manual where it lists the lifting/jacking points, but it's fairly vague from what I see. Would I want to get the jack stands and the the 4x4's directly under that ridge that runs the length of the car, where the body panel meets the floor plan? It seems like a fairly weak point that looks like it would crumple pretty easy.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
You want to life it by the thin strip of metal that runs at the bottom of the car, from tire to tire? I've always called it a pinchweld if that's what you're talking about. At the shop I work at, I like 95% of the cars by it, unless they are super rusty or previously damaged.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Just behind that fender bolt is a good spot, I use a block of wood or hockey puck on the jack to avoid lifting by a single sharp point of the jack.

There's a vertical piece of metal inside there, braced by the side sections that attach to it at the pinch weld. Makes for a strong point to lift by as long as you avoid the single point lift mentioned..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes you would want to lift it from the pinch weld down the length of the car. Use a block of wood or a rubber pad to try and keep it from bending but it will bend but it isn't a problem, that is the strongest part of the car.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I can see this going very bad very quickly.

Pull it out the top. It's not that hard and fits just fine.

Removing the bumper gets you nowhere. All that comes off is the cover. There's still a metal bumper that you can't remove. So if you're thinking you can just drop the sub and pull the engine out the front you're in for hurt.

Pull the DS CV, remove motor mounts, do what you will with the P/S and A/C, electrical shit and fuel and pull the sucker out.
You can leave the PS CV and you'll get enough angle that it'll pull itself out of the knuckle. The DS gets hung up on the frame rail, IIRC.

Out the bottom only works if you have a lift. Jacking the front up, blocking then the back, blocking rinse/repeat is just more work than you have to do. And the angles can cause the body to slip and then you're without a paddle.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Remove the hood and the stuff mentioned above and pull it out the top. Somewhere you can rent a hoist. Much easier and safer for you and the car.

Toby

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Should I be able to get just the engine out, or do I still need to pull the engine and trans?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
You can do either. I think it's easier to pull as a unit. You don't have a whole lot of room to get the input shaft to drop out of the clutch ... have to pull the PS of the engine up quite a ways.
As a unit also makes it easier to line the input up when it goes back in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts