Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought a Focus 2001 LX. If I am not mistaken it has an SPI SOHC 2.0l engine, which is non-interference. I have started to do some maintenance on it and some detailing too. I want this car to look and run nice.

I am really impressed with the level of the people here. In Spain, where I am from, there are not a lot of mechanics fans and there is no project cars concept.

I have been reading many of the how-tos here and even I am going to have the car only for one year I would like to do some minor mods. I thought about CAIs, but volants or AEMs are pretty expensive and I don't know if they are worth the money.

I was looking on ebay for cheaper cais and I found this. It is obviously not a high quality professional CAI. But I was wondering if somebody know anything about cheaper cais that work.

I am thinking of removing the airbox resonator and doing an ice-man clone too.

What mods can I do for less than 300$ that give me some extra power and torque? Maybe I could use some junkyard parts for it.

Thanks a lot

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Yeah I got an ebay cai and its just as good as an aem one just made from cheaper materials. And yes definitely change the filter. I've heard the Tsudo catback is pretty good and I think you can get it shipped for around $275. After that find some stage II cams.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the information. I would like to get some comments on which ones you bought and how do they work, because there are many cheap brand cais.

I though Tsudo exhaust systems were only for ZX models.

Any other mods or ideas? Thanks

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
CFM has a short throw shifter for u

Also get lowered

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Its made by Option Racing. It was like 40 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CFM has a short throw shifter for u
what do you mean with CFM? is it a brand?

Thanks for the information disciplerocks. It seems that there are no option racing cais available on ebay now.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
It was not listed as that. I don't remember the store name. I'll try and dig it up on my paypal history. CFM is a store. Don't know the website addy. Anyone else know?

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
for chepo mods ebay is your friend for used things
and check the marketplace on here

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
for chepo mods ebay is your friend for used things
and check the marketplace on here
Fo Sho, I got my Esslinger UDP for 30 bucks on there.

·
Registered
524 Posts
how was the instalation on the udp

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
how was the instalation on the udp
Pretty easy. I did not remove tire or jack up the car. Simplistic explanation:
Remove lower cover, remove belt, put ratchet on bolt and pull out plug wires, turn car over the ratchet will come up to the suspension and loosen the bolt, take old off put new on, make sure you use some tread lock, It helps to have an impact, but I didn't use one. try to get it as tight as you can. reinstall belt cover and plug wires. Note: the lower timing cover behind the crank pulley will give you some trouble. Take it out and break off the lip around it. Here's the how to I used:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=3

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thanks guys for the information. I would like to get some comments on which ones you bought and how do they work, because there are many cheap brand cais.

I though Tsudo exhaust systems were only for ZX models.

Any other mods or ideas? Thanks
the zetec exhaust will fit, even the headers and downpipe will fit with a little modding. cold air intakes are the same for the zetec but you will need a reducer

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
30 buck for an underdrive pulley is really a good price! what are the differences you feel disciplerocks?

Thank you for the link TKE_Quailman, I think a hundred thirty something for a short throw shifter is pretty expensive, is there no other lower performance alternative?

disciplerocks, why do your mount came broken? how much were the new ones? what about possible hydrolocks?

justin_jkj, what do you mean with little modding? what's a reducer?

All the stuff I see is for the zetec or SVT engines, what are the compatibility issues between those and my engine?

Would it be a good idea to get an SVT exhaust headers in a junkyard? is it a good idea to get the downpipe too? what do you think about new performance plug wires, coils and spark plugs? are they worth the money without any other mods?

Thank you guys for the information and ideas,

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Look at the stickies at the top of the spi forum.
Lots of info in them and they'll answer most, if not all of the questions you asked.
Check out old threads, and give the search button a try.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
30 buck for an underdrive pulley is really a good price! what are the differences you feel disciplerocks?

Thank you for the link TKE_Quailman, I think a hundred thirty something for a short throw shifter is pretty expensive, is there no other lower performance alternative?

disciplerocks, why do your mount came broken? how much were the new ones? what about possible hydrolocks?

justin_jkj, what do you mean with little modding? what's a reducer?

All the stuff I see is for the zetec or SVT engines, what are the compatibility issues between those and my engine?

Would it be a good idea to get an SVT exhaust headers in a junkyard? is it a good idea to get the downpipe too? what do you think about new performance plug wires, coils and spark plugs? are they worth the money without any other mods?

Thank you guys for the information and ideas,
1. I noticed a big difference in the low end
2. you can cut down your shifter and re-thread it. look in the how to section for both auto and man trannys
3. the mounting bolts it came with fell out of the rubber grommet it came with. I just used different bolts and some rubber washers.
4. I try to avoid puddles when its raining :)
5. good luck finding an svt at a junkyard. especially without it already stripped.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you again disciplerocks.

Spanish junkyards rock, here it seems that you don't have good ones. This is the one I used to go in Spain (look at the images), near Madrid. They have almost every car piece, including BMWs, Jaguars and other expensive cars you can think of, for the cheapest price you can imagine.

loudfocus01, I have been reading a lot. Almost every sticked post. And I still don't know what are the mods that a duratec or zetec exhaust headers need to fit my SPI.

By the way, what do you think of getting an svt stock air intake, are they better than SPI? What about the plug wires and spark plugs, do they improve something?

Thanks for the help

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
^yeah there are 2 main junkyards here. They take all the older cars to the u-pull, and the newer stuff to a salvage yard where they pull the parts for you and charge you more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts