Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am from www.contour.org and I am thinking about buying a svt focus after the summer is done. What are some things that I should look for when buying one. Also what year should I be looking at. I am 19 years old now, have a pretty decent job so I can afford a car payment around 200 a month. Also what is insurance like for these cars? Any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance,
Bill

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I would get a 03 or 04 SVTF but I can tell you the insurance is going to be high! I am 39 and 1 not-at-fault accident and I am paying $145 a month for full coverage. I think you would enjoy one never the less, might be worth looking in to. Also, run a carfax report on any potential candidates and check to see if TSB's have been done and all that, just do your homework so you don't end up with a problem child. lol

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
wow your getting raped 21 ,1 ticket and loss of license paying 135.00 full coverage in one of the highest premiums in the country. foci have high insurance because they are unsafe.. if you doubt ask you insurance rep!!! your svt will be peppy and handle well. You will need to run premium gas or the car will run funny. it doesn't get great mpg

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Only the SVt has a high rate. It is becasue so many young kids buy them and crash them. I pay $150 a month, with no tickets or accidents. And I shopped around last year to every company I could find.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I almost bought an '03 few months back
the dealer wanted 14K would only give me 6K for mine
I told 'em 12K and 7K, they didn't budge
so I left after wasting 2 hours of my life
and 200$ a month for a car payment won't be enough
unless you have a nice down payment
my insurance went up a couple hundred a year when I got my zx3
over my ranger, if you can find a good deal get one
and get the 100K mile esp

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
k ask for a quote for a regular focus zx3 then the svt see how much difference there is...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just called my insurance provider (no tickets or accidents) and my insurance would be 1200 every 6 months for full coverage 500 dolla ded, with my mom as the primary driver. Is it me, or does that seem like a lot of money for the 04 svt? That seems a little fruity to me. I pay 600 every 6 for full coverage with 500 dolla ded for my 95 merc mystique and I have 2 riders on the policy (one for my rims and another for my radio stuff)

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Try to get an 03-04 with a warranty/extended warranty if possible. It can get costly repairing this car. I know my car is at the mechanic right now cuz I didn't feel like fiddlin' with it. But it's soooooo fun to drive and the room in them is awesome. Well worth it.

My insurance is almost as high as your quote with 100/300 coverage and I'm ten years older than you! So yeah, your insurance looks high. Hopefully you'll find one for the right price to offset the insurance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you can get a $10K, 60 month loan at about 7%, you'd be right around $200/mo. As for insurance, I'm 23 with zero accidents and tickets and insurance is $130/mo. full coverange with $500 deductable.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
mine was at 200 then i turned 21 and it came down. good lcuk with everything

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Actually, that sounds pretty familiar to me. Insurance for these cars, depending on the provider, ranges from barely reasonable to completely insane. I'm paying $740 per half (havent been adjusted up for my recent at-fault accident yet), but before I turned 21 and acrued 3 years of driving experience (they happened almost at the same time), I was paying $1300/half with $1000 deductibles, insuring under my parents' name. This is also in Maine, from what I can tell we are pretty midground for rates, places like NY and NJ are more expensive, those flat states in the middle of the country are probably cheaper.

My best advice for you, honestly, is to test drive a couple other cars in the segment. We pay a super-high premium for our fun, but there are lots of other cars that are 8/10ths or 9/10ths as capable and a whole lot cheaper to insure, maintain and fuel. Personally, if I ditch the SVT I'll be test driving a 2.5RS. Cheap insurance (way less than a WRX), generally good reported reliability, and Subaru enthusiasts are some of the happiest-sounding about the cars they drive.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
yea actually, the focus cost alot to insure, b/c its not that safe, its a sport compact, young people tend to drive sport compacts more so they raise the cost to insure. Allstate which is what i have, it would cost me just as much to drive an svt as to drive my zx3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts