Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the story: Bought 2012 Hatchback SE about 3 weeks ago. Did research on towabilty of the vehicle. Downloaded user manual, read forums, etc. Everything said it was tow-able. Today picked vehicle up from having tow plate installed. Hooked up my RV for light check, fit of tow bar, etc. Went exactly by Ford's manual on vehicle. Put key in, turn to on position, but don't crank. Move shifter to neutral position, turn key all the way back to off position. Next step was to remove negative battery cable, done! Drove away towing vehicle with big smile. Well, about 30 miles done the road, a car passed and waved and pointed to my rear end. Pulled off the road to inspect. Found white smoke pouring out around hood. Opened hood and smoke was coming from far right hand side of engine and you could fell the heat. Called Ford roadside and had vehicle towed to Dealer where I purchased it. Waiting for call from Dealer on findings, but I will bet anything that the tranny is toasted. Will update after discussion with dealer.

If it were not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all...

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Wow............that sucks.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
FWIW the owners manual specifically states that you should not tow anything with your Focus, and it's likely that the warranty will not cover any damage resulting from doing so.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
FWIW the owners manual specifically states that you should not tow anything with your Focus, and it's likely that the warranty will not cover any damage resulting from doing so.
Did you even read the OP?? He's was towing the Focus behind his RV.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I've seen early 2000's towed behind RV's - with the permanent tow bar mounted through the grille. Instructions didn't say anything about removing/modifying half shafts?

Let us know what you find out, please.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Reading comprehension truly is a lost art.... [?|]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Found white smoke pouring out around hood. Opened hood and smoke was coming from far right hand side of engine and you could fell the heat. Called Ford roadside and had vehicle towed to Dealer where I purchased it. Waiting for call from Dealer on findings, but I will bet anything that the tranny is toasted.
Hi awwall,

Wow, sorry to hear of your situation! Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help.

~Natasha

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
She ^^^^^^ is so awesome isn't she?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Here is the story: Bought 2012 Hatchback SE about 3 weeks ago. Did research on towabilty of the vehicle. Downloaded user manual, read forums, etc. Everything said it was tow-able. Today picked vehicle up from having tow plate installed. Hooked up my RV for light check, fit of tow bar, etc. Went exactly by Ford's manual on vehicle. Put key in, turn to on position, but don't crank. Move shifter to neutral position, turn key all the way back to off position. Next step was to remove negative battery cable, done! Drove away towing vehicle with big smile. Well, about 30 miles done the road, a car passed and waved and pointed to my rear end. Pulled off the road to inspect. Found white smoke pouring out around hood. Opened hood and smoke was coming from far right hand side of engine and you could fell the heat. Called Ford roadside and had vehicle towed to Dealer where I purchased it. Waiting for call from Dealer on findings, but I will bet anything that the tranny is toasted. Will update after discussion with dealer.

If it were not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all...
TSB
11-9-14 RECREATIONAL TOWING - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/15/2011

Publication Date: September 23, 2011

FORD: 2011 Fiesta
2012 Focus

ISSUE:
Some 2011 Fiesta and 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 7/15/2011 and equipped with an automatic transmission may experience transmission concerns if the vehicle is towed with all four (4) wheels on the ground or flat towing.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

A new procedure and calibration is available that enables the transmission to enter a neutral mode and provides a visual indicator display on the front control / display interface module (FCDIM).

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration level using IDS release 74.06 and higher or 75.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
NOTE: THE PCM AND TCM ARE A MATCHED SET. REPROGRAMMING THE PCM WILL AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THE TCM.

Using IDS, select Powertrain, Transmission, Clutch system test, complete procedure.
Using IDS select Powertrain, Transmission, Transmission Adaptive Learning and perform each of the following:
Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Adaptive Learning
Shift Drum Adaptive Learning
Clutch Adaptive Learning
Exit
Perform Adaptive Drive Cycle
Fiesta - Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-11.
Focus - Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.
NOTE: FAILURE TO PERFORM ALL STEPS OF THE ADAPTIVE LEARN ROUTINES AND THE DRIVE CYCLE MAY RESULT IN ERRATIC SHIFTS AND DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS.

Print vehicle specific instructions attached at the end of this article and give the appropriate copy to the customer. Ensure the customer is aware of the indicator on the instrument cluster when the vehicle is ready for towing.
Fiesta (Figure 1)
Focus (Figure 2)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

·
Registered
36 Posts
lol... Dude I tow my diesel truck around on my flatbed with my focus. Pulls like a champ. I don't know what the owners manual is talking about! JK!!

Sorry to hear about your issue.. Looking forward to knowing what it is.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Sounds like your getting a new tranny under warranty

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
"..................ISSUE:
Some 2011 Fiesta and 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 7/15/2011 and equipped with an automatic transmission may experience transmission concerns if the vehicle is towed with all four (4) wheels on the ground or flat towing.

ACTION:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

A new procedure and calibration is available that enables the transmission to enter a neutral mode and provides a visual indicator display on the front control / display interface module (FCDIM)............
"

Oh that's priceless - a TSB and not a RECALL on a catastrophic problem that will only be identified -after-the-fact-. And maybe a 1000 miles from home.

How competent would a customer service policy have to be to alert potential repeat customers to a 'known potential problem' in or out of warranty? Cheaper to just let cars go out of warranty and tell the schmucks...... tough luck, but please buy another Ford?

(It's right there on page 14 of the customer service manual ....... you'll see this in 8% of your problems - commiserate, lend a shoulder, identify potential warranty liability then offer a coke and a smile.)

....when has anything like this happened in the past...... (valve seats)?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I can confirm this new operation on Focus coming off the line today. When engine isn't running, and car is put in neutral, you can hear a click in the transmission and "transmission ready" shows on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies and the info on the PCM re-program. Dealer called this morning and we got into heated argument over this PCM re-programming. Said I should have had it done!! I asked why you did not do it? Dealer was specifically told vehicle was being purchased to be towed. Double and Triple checked on Focus being towable and yet they still never mentioned this PCM problem. Typical, try anything to get out of something they caused, or should have prevented. Will keep thread updated.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
She ^^^^^^ is so awesome isn't she?
Thanks, Missourileo! I truly appreciate it. [:)]

Dealer was specifically told vehicle was being purchased to be towed. Double and Triple checked on Focus being towable and yet they still never mentioned this PCM problem.
Hey awwall,

Thanks for sending over your info. I escalated the case, and the CSM for your area will be calling you. She'll work with the dealer to resolve this.

~Natasha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again Natasha....Have already been contacted by CSM and they are going to treat this as Warranty, unless something changes. Supposed to have solid answer by Monday afternoon. Spoke with Cassidy (CSM), extremely nice lady.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks again Natasha....Have already been contacted by CSM and they are going to treat this as Warranty, unless something changes. Supposed to have solid answer by Monday afternoon. Spoke with Cassidy (CSM), extremely nice lady.
Wonderful! [:)] Thanks for the follow-up.

~Natasha

·
Registered
497 Posts
"..................ISSUE:

ACTION:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

A new procedure and calibration is available that enables the transmission to enter a neutral mode and provides a visual indicator display on the front control / display interface module (FCDIM)............
"

Oh that's priceless - a TSB and not a RECALL on a catastrophic problem that will only be identified -after-the-fact-. And maybe a 1000 miles from home.

How competent would a customer service policy have to be to alert potential repeat customers to a 'known potential problem' in or out of warranty? Cheaper to just let cars go out of warranty and tell the schmucks...... tough luck, but please buy another Ford?

(It's right there on page 14 of the customer service manual ....... you'll see this in 8% of your problems - commiserate, lend a shoulder, identify potential warranty liability then offer a coke and a smile.)

....when has anything like this happened in the past...... (valve seats)?
What's truly priceless is your lack of competency in what requires a recall and what is more appropriately addressed with a service message. Either way, the responsiblity of repairs needed as a result of this damage isn't coming out of your pocketbook. If I need anymore legal advice I'll be sure to tell my lawer to pound sand and in lieu I'll just go to a focus forum and ask you what the law requires, mmmkay?

I'm sure you would have preferred Ford flat tow every focus that comes off the line for 100 miles to make sure the calibration successfully shifts the transmission into neutral, right?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Let's see - a vehicle on the road, albeit being towed, overheating enough to have "SMOKE POURING OUT...and HEAT".... hmmm what would come next - fire? Is that what you want to see before you issue a RECALL genius?

Did we mention this was in traffic (definition - other vehicles and people around). Would a tunnel be better for you (tunnel definition - ENCLOSED area - limited access/entry exit). It's what a lot of RV's travel through. Maybe you'd like be behind the hot, smoking car in a tunnel and a traffic jam.....

You don't need a lawyer (not that you could find one in a phone book) - you need some common sense at your place of work. Or are you still driving that PINTO?

You get a coke, a smile and a cookie. GOOd job !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts