- Reset to 1 random song only of music collection on USB
- Infinite building voice commands
- Sync voice commands not working for music
- Bluetooth issues, random disconnects from audio
- UI still slow as hell

Things fixed
- Radio stays off on engine on
- Sirius channel guide
- MFT freeze? (hasn't happened again yet)

Things MFT still useful for
- Pretty wallpaper
- Having your phone run all your entertainment because all MFT is capable of is running a wallpaper?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Seems like hit or miss. I don't have any of the issues you have indicated. I use an Atrix with recently updated gingerbread. Seems like hit or miss.

At this point, with the amount of variability, and the hardware failures during the update, i believe this variability can be attributed to hardware issues.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Must be hardware related. I haven't even seen a BSOD even before the update... and since the update my iPod HAS stopped indexing, my bluetooth has worked flawlessly before and since the update, and my MFT has been very responsive, especially after the update, less than a second response between pages/button presses.

Like theos2 said... it's hit or miss, leads me to believe hardware is the culprit as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must be hardware related. I haven't even seen a BSOD even before the update... and since the update my iPod HAS stopped indexing, my bluetooth has worked flawlessly before and since the update, and my MFT has been very responsive, especially after the update, less than a second response between pages/button presses.

Like theos2 said... it's hit or miss, leads me to believe hardware is the culprit as well.
Yes you are probably right, but is is a pain just to even get some service, I had to go a weekend without a car and I really don't want to do that multiple times on a brand new car.

It was hard enough for me to get the update that was a tsb, I can't imagine the trouble I would have to go through to get some hardware replaced. Looks like I'm going to need to start recording all these issues as they happen, something every brand new car owner wants to do.

All I know is this is the last Ford vehicle I buy. This is my 4th Ford vehicle I bought new and last. Some other company more deserving can have my money.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh btw the pain in getting service I describe is the lack of knowledge in this system, literally the service dept is clueless.... I tried like 6 times trying to explain my issues before I finally got someone who knew something about mft and the new tsb.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i had to tell my service department about the TSB, supply the TSB number, that it was dealer install only (they insisted i could do all the updates myself at home) and that it would take several hours. the dealership i purchased at is out in the sticks and doesn't have broadband, it took them over 6 hours to download it via dial-up (which they bitched to me about, like that's my problem???). while they did upgrade MFT the screen calibration was flipped upside-down and backwards, but i managed to re-calibrate it myself without having to take it in.

fortunately i won't be taking it there for future service.

so far, no complaints about MFT other than it is quite laggy.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, but my experience with tech is that sometimes it's better to get it straight from the factory then to ever upgrade it. In other words, if you had a problem before, there is a good chance you'll have it later no matter what update you get.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've had it freeze twice since the update (a week and a half). Otherwise it's been pretty good, but it froze 2 days after I got it back and again 3 days later. That's ridiculous.

The reason is simple: It's designed in Flash Lite. One of the worst designing platforms on the planet. Idiotic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had my car for just over 3 days now, I was driving yesterday and it shut down, and did some sort of 'scheduled' maintenance/update. It seems to be working somewhat better now but my album artwork won't show anymore and it did before. Will keep an eye on it. My dealer made sure the newest version was installed before I took delivery. They are supposed to be one of the best Service Departments in all of ATL so hopefully they did everything right.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had the 2.11 update done on Thursday, August 11th. 25 minutes after leaving the dealership, the "meltdown" was back in full force. My ipod was playing, then I got a "usb disconnected" alert on the touch screen. The whole MFT system was frozen, no controls over anything. The volume went all the way up to the highest setting, could not turn the stereo off with the the power button. Had to pull over, turn the vehicle off, exit the car and wait 21 minutes until the "SYNC is performing scheduled maintenance" message appeared on the touchscreen, all the while the stereo was blasting away at full volume. This has happened a total of 18 times since I took delivery of the car back on June 28th. I did not have a pair of needle nose pliers with me, otherwise I would have pulled the fuse. I have been in contact with Ford of Canada, they know that the 2.11 update did not fix squat. A senior Ford of Canada customer service manager has contacted me, on the phone regarding all the MFT/SYNC problems I have encountered. Will report back when I know more.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So wonder when Ford will issue a recall...

·
Registered
519 Posts
I was under the impression this was just the quick fix update, and that there would be a more stable release at the time the 2012 Flex came to market.

I guess what I don't understand is why a handful of people still have such serious problems. It appears that for most of us the update has improved the system significantly. As others have stated, maybe there's a hardware problem or perhaps an electrical issue causing problems that the techs have been unable to deduce.

It's been 10 days now, and the iPod works, the iPhone connects and stays connected, and bluetooth streams fine (though, admittedly, I've only tested that briefly), no more heavy lag, no more constant "Building Media Commands", and most importantly, NO MORE freezes or reboots. As I said earlier, it just works now.

There is one thing I have noticed, though, that didn't happen before. The GPS prior to the update, always had a signal. After the update, and after the car has been garaged for a few hours, it take a minute or so for the GPS to see satellites, just like a portable unit. [dunno]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the update for 2 weeks now. So far it has perfomed very well. No freezes or system maintenance screens. System is much, much faster now. Virtually no lag after touching the screen. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays like this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So wonder when Ford will issue a recall...
They probably won't unless forced to by the govt. The software is clearly lacking, but I think they will simply work around that with updates. The hardware problems are more likely to cause a recall, but if those failures are more or less random, I expect Ford to continue to treat them as they pop up. I also expect them to insist that it is an entertainment problem, not a safety problem.

If you think that Ford has headaches about perceived quality, just imagine what will happen if there's an accident/death, and errors like yours are determined to be a contributing cause. Not only would their image take another hit, but their entire technology strategy/roadmap could be in jeopardy. That's why I don't understand why there's such a disconnect between corporate & dealerships on these updates & overall fixing the problems.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think if your hardware modules are good and have the new update 2.11 then you are most likely not having any significant issues with MFT. All the people that are not happy with the update have various hardware module problems that no amount of updating can ever fix. The dealerships just don't know how to troubleshoot the problems or are not properly trained to troubleshoot the system. The worst one is the APIM module failures but there are many other modules that can cause problems as well. Until the dealerships get in touch with the experts at Ford who truly know the system and can give the dealerships the tools they need to properly check the hardware modules out, there will be owners that are very unhappy with MFT.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The problem is dealerships and shops around town didn't build this system or weren't trained to work on it. Ford should be sending reps or dealerships should be sending techs to Ford HQ for an in-depth learning workshop on the new system.

This is a huge step up in technology and something that the average technician won't know off hand. It's one thing to know car electronics and systems but another thing entirely to know the Infotainment system and it's inner workings.

It's a PITA, I know, and I certainly haven't had any of the issues you all have had, but my car wasn't a newly built car, it was built in June and I had the 2.10 version when I received the car and STILL never had issues aside from my FM presets resetting and the radio coming on with the car everytime I started it.

The 2.11 update fixed both of those for me and improved the usability/speed of the whole system as well.

So... for me, it worked. For some, it didn't. Freezes and "BSODs" seem more hardware related, as my Windows notebook before my Macbook used to bluescreen periodically because the hard-drive was corrupted. So... it seems to me that it could even be the techs messing with the modules and hardware improperly that adds insult to injury with your problems and not even Ford directly.

·
Banned
363 Posts
The problem is dealerships and shops around town didn't build this system or weren't trained to work on it. Ford should be sending reps or dealerships should be sending techs to Ford HQ for an in-depth learning workshop on the new system.

This is a huge step up in technology and something that the average technician won't know off hand. It's one thing to know car electronics and systems but another thing entirely to know the Infotainment system and it's inner workings.

It's a PITA, I know, and I certainly haven't had any of the issues you all have had, but my car wasn't a newly built car, it was built in June and I had the 2.10 version when I received the car and STILL never had issues aside from my FM presets resetting and the radio coming on with the car everytime I started it.

The 2.11 update fixed both of those for me and improved the usability/speed of the whole system as well.

So... for me, it worked. For some, it didn't. Freezes and "BSODs" seem more hardware related, as my Windows notebook before my Macbook used to bluescreen periodically because the hard-drive was corrupted. So... it seems to me that it could even be the techs messing with the modules and hardware improperly that adds insult to injury with your problems and not even Ford directly.

It is not just the dealer techs. Ford has had engineers come in to work on my car from corporate. It is still broken.

The whole experience has been a total dissapointement. I have been dealing with this daily since May 14th. The fun and excitement of buying a new Ford Focus is gone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had the 2.11 update done on Thursday, August 11th. 25 minutes after leaving the dealership, the "meltdown" was back in full force. My ipod was playing, then I got a "usb disconnected" alert on the touch screen. The whole MFT system was frozen, no controls over anything. The volume went all the way up to the highest setting, could not turn the stereo off with the the power button.
Now that sounds scary. I could see this as being rather hazerdous.

Imagine some old lady driving around listening to [NPR, Rage Against the Machine, mp3 recordings of her cat, whatever] when all of the sudden her radio goes to max volume. In her confusion she drifts out of her lane and causes an accident.

Cop: Ma'am, just what in the hell happened?
Old Lady: I have no idea, I was just driving along minding my own business when my radio went crazy and almost made me deaf. While I was trying to turn it off and looking at the touch screen, I must have drifted out of my lane and forced that school bus full of special needs children off the road. I saw the fireball..and well, I couldn't hear the screams because my radio was still turned all the way up.
Cop: Consider yourself lucky then.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I imagine corrupted files or out of date software on an iPod or phone could cause problems when they're plugged into mft ???

·
Registered
179 Posts
I imagine corrupted files or out of date software on an iPod or phone could cause problems when they're plugged into mft ???
This is not the case with my situation. Everyone in my family is driving a 2010 or newer Ford/Lincoln vehicle. All of the vehicles are SYNC, 3 of the vehicles, including mine have MFT/MLT. My ipod plays/work flawlessly in all of the vehicles, except for my new 2012 Focus Titanium. My ipod software is always kept up to day. There are no corrupted files on my ipod. The system just sucks, plain and simple. All of the problems listed are widespread. Just google MFT/MLT problems and see how many come up. Go to syncmyride.com and check out the forum postings on these problems. The fact that some of you are NOT experiencing these problems is great...for you, but for those of us that are, it's totally unacceptable. This is not the car I ordered. This is not the car I paid for. This is not the car that was presented to me in all the hype/marketing/advertising/expert reviews etc. Fix my dam car now, or, give me my money back and I'll go elsewhere. I'm done...had it, at the end of my rope. There....I feel much better.[headbang]

1 - 20 of 45 Posts