Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just look at these threads.... soooo many issues on such young, low mileage focus'. Ford, your product is bad, but your customer service is even worse! Worse than your "automatic" (as advertised) transmissions in these garbage bins on 4 4 wheels. I HOPE SOMETHING GETS DONE ABOUT THESE TRANSMISSION ISSUES!!! Justice is needed for all of us hard working customers who are donating money to Ford's transmission funds. Happy holidays Ford, you've recieved our cash donations now give back to the people via correcting this crap you call a dual clutch trans.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
What'd you go w/ a auto? Why not a manual??????

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
If the problems were really as wide spread as you sic claim the car wouldn't be selling more than a million units a year over the past three years globally.

Were there a few cars with seal issues? Sure like any manufactured good there will be teething issues/ infant mortality. If it was truly an issue with every single car so equipped with the dual clutch automatic then they would not sell as many. The old 4F27E was a huge piece of junk, but even still not every single one failed right away, they just shifted like junk and drove poorly.

A properly operating DCT is a great thing, nearly as efficient if not more so than a dry friction clutch manual gearbox, and without the efforts associated with shifting manually when 90% or more of the cars sold are automatics. The torque converter backed planetary automatic saps power and efficiency. The wet clutch DCT shares many of these issues in exchange for the cooling effect of the oil bath on the clutches which allows for more slippage.

If you get into it thinking it's a black box or a traditional automatic and not knowing or caring about how it works you may carry over some very bad habits from driving the traditional torque converter "slush" box.

If you come from driving a manual transmission the reactions are very normal and it sounds like driving a manual without being in charge of the clutch actuation. Hell even if you've never driven a manual if you understand what's going on it's not broken so much as unfamiliar.

Do you slip the clutch at 1-2 mph all the time trying to creep forward with a manual gearbox? No? Then why on earth should you expect the DCT to enjoy the same behavior?

If people can handle the shiftless droning of a CVT then why are they freaking out at an automated manual gearbox.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just look at these threads.... soooo many issues on such young, low mileage focus'. Ford, your product is bad, but your customer service is even worse! Worse than your "automatic" (as advertised) transmissions in these garbage bins on 4 4 wheels. I HOPE SOMETHING GETS DONE ABOUT THESE TRANSMISSION ISSUES!!! Justice is needed for all of us hard working customers who are donating money to Ford's transmission funds. Happy holidays Ford, you've recieved our cash donations now give back to the people via correcting this crap you call a dual clutch trans.
I'd suggest you sell yours. No sense in letting a motor vehicle ruin your life.

Did you get a DCT? If so, you couldn't tell you didn't like it on the test drive(s)? Even so, if you feel the whole car is a "garbage bin" why on Earth did you purchase one to begin with?

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Hey OP, the "my transmission sucks" bandwagon started almost 4 years ago. Nobody - NOBODY - cares what you think at this point. If you willingly bought a DCT Focus within the last 3 years without doing any sort of research, then you brought this on yourself. There is no such thing as a perfect car. In the case of the Focus, the DCT transmission happens to be the issue most likely to occur.

Like it was mentioned above - if there was a major problem, don't you think that over a million owners would be complaining? (Compared to maybe a hundred or so people on this website who have got their undies in a bundle)

If people can handle the shiftless droning of a CVT then why are they freaking out at an automated manual gearbox.
Because America.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mac Mogul, you should work for Ford bc you have the same mentality as they do. Congrats, you're useless.

I bought the car brand new so what research was i going to use??? All I had was my test drives and there was no issues then.... you rly think if the transmission acted up during the test drive I would have signed any paperwork for the car?? Genius....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously, to the smart a&$es tryna come on here just to come at other people throats without stopping and using some commons sense before replying, try THINKING about what you're saying, and consider some other circumstances for other buyers who's experience may not have been anything like yours. Newsflash: people have their own stories to tell, and they don't all reflect yours. If ANYONE who has a DCT that bought the car new in 2012... and didnt have issues during test drives, how would they have predicted this nonsense? Who in their right mind would have committed to these cars knowing this would be the outcome.... and oh, that Ford would do very little to help their customers out afterwards bc well, let's face it... its a capitalistic world... they got their money, sooo, on to the next models.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Just to add, I get it as some people don't know or do reseach about the focus trans issues that ford has, & want a desent relable car. Now the OP found this board as others have.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the problems were really as wide spread as you sic claim the car wouldn't be selling more than a million units a year over the past three years globally.

Were there a few cars with seal issues? Sure like any manufactured good there will be teething issues/ infant mortality. If it was truly an issue with every single car so equipped with the dual clutch automatic then they would not sell as many. The old 4F27E was a huge piece of junk, but even still not every single one failed right away, they just shifted like junk and drove poorly.

A properly operating DCT is a great thing, nearly as efficient if not more so than a dry friction clutch manual gearbox, and without the efforts associated with shifting manually when 90% or more of the cars sold are automatics. The torque converter backed planetary automatic saps power and efficiency. The wet clutch DCT shares many of these issues in exchange for the cooling effect of the oil bath on the clutches which allows for more slippage.

If you get into it thinking it's a black box or a traditional automatic and not knowing or caring about how it works you may carry over some very bad habits from driving the traditional torque converter "slush" box.

If you come from driving a manual transmission the reactions are very normal and it sounds like driving a manual without being in charge of the clutch actuation. Hell even if you've never driven a manual if you understand what's going on it's not broken so much as unfamiliar.

Do you slip the clutch at 1-2 mph all the time trying to creep forward with a manual gearbox? No? Then why on earth should you expect the DCT to enjoy the same behavior?

Drove a manual (civic si) for 6 years.... it was NOTHING like this. The car shakes and feels like turbulent plane.... not a manual

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just saying people who bought these brand new (the earliest models) had no way of knowing. So we're supposed to blame ourselves? I mean really.... there's nothing out there in terms of reviews that indicate the long list of issues they present. People, including myself, buy new cars thinking they'll be set for atleast a few solid years of having no major driveability issues.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Easy giggles, one PO'd thread post doesn't a "troll" make.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Seriously, to the smart a&$es tryna come on here just to come at other people throats without stopping and using some commons sense before replying, try THINKING about what you're saying, and consider some other circumstances for other buyers who's experience may not have been anything like yours. Newsflash: people have their own stories to tell, and they don't all reflect yours. If ANYONE who has a DCT that bought the car new in 2012... and didnt have issues during test drives, how would they have predicted this nonsense? Who in their right mind would have committed to these cars knowing this would be the outcome.... and oh, that Ford would do very little to help their customers out afterwards bc well, let's face it... its a capitalistic world... they got their money, sooo, on to the next models.
Funny, I was able to "research" / learn about the DCT when I purchased mine. You were able too with a 2013. By then, plenty of DCT discussion and technical literature available on the net.

Now, it appears as if you haven't a clue what is a clutch, torque converter, wheel, tire, engine, etc. So in that case you get a mulligan.

Nevertheless, it's just not the DCT you feel is a piece of shit, but every aspect of the Mk3 Ford Focus -- the whole vehicle. What possessed you to purchase a Focus when the C segment may be the most competitive vehicle segment available? Choices in the C segment are numerous.

But I'll give you credit: Ford hasn't done one single thing to help those with DCT problems. They won't even fix it under warranty. They won't offer new and improved parts to fix the problem; nothing. There's been no service literature within Ford on how to repair. You're right in that if you have a Focus with DCT problems you're SOL; nothing can be done.

I suggest sell your Focus as soon as possible. Take a look at the Dodge Dart -- go drive one today, you may get good trade in value on your Focus.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I did the research on mine when I bout it in December 2013. I knew of the issues and purchased the extended warranty along with the gap coverage. Since I could afford both.
Hopefully he'll get the help or info he's looking for here.
I've had nothing but great experiences with ford customer service.
Having and 08' SE+ and an 09' SEL both of which going into the shop for minor issues.
Both with motor mounts which were a common issue on these years. This prompted me to buy my 2014. If you're having issues the people on the forum can help, but attacking them and just coming in angrily like you did with your first post won't help.

Let these people help you if you need it or just go trade your car in.
I agree the dart is a great competitor for this segment.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's unfortunate, but the current crop of new vehicles as a whole has a much greater chance of major issues than some in the not too distant past. It's only partially reflected in the rise of complaint numbers, as that doesn't show the severity of problems.

I don't see it changing in the near future, as the drive for higher mileage/performance continues along with plenty of added gadgets each of which increases the possibility of failure. It's easy to toss a poor phone now, cars made to work with all of those aren't as easy to update/adapt as those change for one example.

Major engine & transmission problems are now quite common as a result of new, unproven technologies - we'd JUST reached a point recently when this wasn't common & life expectancy had rapidly increased.

I've been around long enough to have seen this before, introduction of emissions controls followed by the first "gas crunch" resulted in a similar list of teething troubles - many quite major!

Lest anyone think it was perfect before that, "a few years" was the expected total lifespan then for most vehicles - NOT expected use before troubles.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Golden rule of buying technology also applies to cars, never buy first gen right out of the gate. re: unproven concepts/no research available.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Reading up a little on VW's DSG, other than some similar complaints about low speed drivability the service cost is interesting.

40k service at a Dealer for the trans. runs $3-400, with the full 40k service for the car at about $800.

Glanced at BMW's version for comparison, and theirs isn't serviceable officially - life of the trans lube for the whole trans/wet clutch system similar to some torque converter types currently sold.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reading up a little on VW's DSG, other than some similar complaints about low speed drivability the service cost is interesting.

40k service at a Dealer for the trans. runs $3-400, with the full 40k service for the car at about $800.
This is spot on. I had a 2011 Golf TDI w/ the DSG trans. I know how that trans felt at low speeds, and I never did like it. That trans, along with the diesel pump failures (of which 95% were caused by misfueling issues) and maintenance costs were just a few of the reasons that I sold it and bought the Passat (in my sig below) as my DD. The Focus is my daughters DD, though I do drive it frequently and enjoy it. She loves driving a manual and I did not want to deal with the dual clutch auto again, so the Focus w/ the manual was a good match.

Just my humble opinion. Drive what you want, I make no judgments of you for your choices, because we all have our reasons for driving what we drive.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
There is no perfect automated-manual transmission. You could spend $400,000 on a new Lamborghini and the transmission would still jerk and shudder in traffic because that's just the way they are and have been.

I think the general public (unwashed masses, etc) have unrealistic expectations about how machines are supposed to work these days. It's like when 10 million people buy a new iPhone and 10 thousand people end up with broken phones due to a manufacturing defect. First come the forum posts, youtube rants, then the class-action lawsuits... But there's nothing wrong with the phone's design because 9,990,000 phones are still working - You just can't expect manufactured products to always be perfect.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts