Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the normal operating temperature on the Focus?

I'm into buying a cooler thermo. but i don't know which one? i know there's a 180 and 160 degree.

Which one's better?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
May I ask why you want to do such a thing? Is there some performance gain to be had there?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i don't think it will warrent the "power" u might think u'd get outa it. ur thermostat is set for a reason, i mean unless ur runnin a lot of mods and absolutely need to have the motor cooler. i wouldn't waste my time with it

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Well, i'm planning out my future set-up. I want to go with a PowerWorks super charger but i'm looking into all the pros and cons. Also, the temperature here has been off the chart lately, over 110 degrees, and my temp gauge went over it's regular place (the middle) to almost 3/4 . I've heard it's also a good mod to keep to temp under the hood down a bit.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
go with a 180, the 160 can mess with some temp sensors, and just so you know the termostat temp is in farinheit the car shows temp in celceus

the 180 did good things for my car, it's much happier, but like i said the 160 may mess some things up unless you have your ECU set with early fan activation, if your running the fluid through at too low of a temp the fans may never come on and the thermostat may never close which means the coolant doesn't have time to cool off and your just recirculating that hot fluid. which is kinda not wanted. because you want the hot fluid to open the thermo then close it once the cooler fluid comes in so that the cooler fluid can chill around the block, while the hot fluid is cooled in the radiator

:)

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
actually it wont help any except for circulating the coolant earlier. your fans are still set to come on at a higher temp. may keep it a few degrees cooler, but nothing noticable at all since the temps can still get up to what the fans are set at

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
makes sense! Is there a way to set the fans tostart earlier?

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
yeah get an xcal2 and have it set for early fan activation. the 180 degree did help my temp though.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
SuperFlea said:
Also, the temperature here has been off the chart lately, over 110 degrees, and my temp gauge went over it's regular place (the middle) to almost 3/4 . I've heard it's also a good mod to keep to temp under the hood down a bit.
But it won't work. By lowering the operating temperature, you actually decrease the efficiency of your radiator. The bigger the difference in temperature between the radiator fins and the air flowing thru them, the faster the fins give up their heat. So your radiator can disperse more waste heat at say, 205 deg, than it could at 180. If you want to take more waste heat from the engine and get rid of it, you would actually go to a hotter 'stat.

The fact that your temp goes up some then stabilizes proves the point. When it's 110 out there and your focus is perking along at 195 deg, the radiator might not be able to pass enough heat- the difference between the coolant and the ambient is only 85 deg. So the coolant starts to heat up due to the insufficient cooling, and as it does, the radiator begins to cool more efficiently (as the difference in temperatures is increasing), until the efficiency of the radiator exactly equals that which is necessary to stop the steady climb in temperature.

Higher than "normal" operating temps won't hurt anything. The important thing is not to let the coolant boil, and that probably wouldn't happen untill about 245deg.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so in this case, you would recomend me to not change the thermo? And it's normal for it to rise a bit more from normal?

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I have read that putting in a cooler temp thermo can actually cause your car to never reach optimal running temps....I am guessing that is if you are going to go too low, dunno.

I have seen 110 temps here in the plains and my temp gauge was a little higher than usual, but never overheated.

Have you tried something as simple as just adding Water Wetter to your coolant? Its only a few bucks at the autoparts store...dump it in your coolant and it help keep temps at bay.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
SuperFlea said:
so in this case, you would recomend me to not change the thermo? And it's normal for it to rise a bit more from normal?
I'd recommend you not change the thermostat.

The water wetter idea is an excellent one. That stuff increases the coolant's ability to transfer heat. That's just what you're looking for.

You know, we never went over the basics- I assume your antifreeze isn't in need of replacement and that the cooling system is clean, and that the radiator is relatively free of bugs, leaves, or bent fins.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah. I inspected all of that after i noticed the temp go up. It has only done it once, about 2 weeks a go. It hasn't done it afterwrds.

I washed down the radiator but it really didn't need it, the fins are in great shape. The fluid level is right and the anti freeze is only about 5 months old.

I'll look into the water wetter idea, thanks for bringing that up.

I was kind of worried cause i'm looking to get a Power Works super charger soon. I had the idea that getting a lower thermo would help it. So the wate wetter just gets poured in the reservuor and that's it? no draing the anti freeze?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
You might have to drain a little to make room, that's all.

Ya know, I just read another post about a blower and detonation etc, etc. I forgot all about that little detail. If you want to put a blower on, forget everything I said- you'll benifit from a cooler thermostat because you are jacking up your compression pressure and detonation will be an issue you'll have to deal with.

The problem remains tho, that cooling system won't be very efficient at those high ambient temperatures you're talking about.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah,i was thinking about that. I might just get the fans to turn on at an earlier temp, but not till i get the super charger. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts