Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to ask another question. i have been posting alot of questions lately because i have been having alot of problems with my car. has anybody done a how to for the thermostat. i looked on teh list but i did not see one on there. also is there a performance thermostat i can replace the stock one with. thanks for the help again.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The most popular replacement for the Thermo, is simply installing a 180 degree thermostat, which will signifigantly reduce engine temperatures internally, but will require a tune to turn your fans on sooner during idle, a mod that i've been highly recommended to do, but haven't gotten to it yet, but for 16$ and another tune from Tom, it's well worth it to get in the near future once spring comes...

·
Registered
585 Posts
The Reason no one has done one is that it is fairly simple to do. Under the hood where the coil is look under it. There is three star-bit/Torx screws. I think they are a t-15. Undo those and pull the housing gently to break the seal. Pull the old thermo out and install a new one with a o-ring seal and reinstall the screws. Add a little coolant and your done.

·
Registered
402 Posts
what does a tstat actually do and what will you notice if you know what i mean

·
Registered
585 Posts
Controls the temp of your car. Lets it warm up to operating temp to provide the best mileage and to keep you warm in the cold. And lets it cool off so it doesn't overheat. while the car is cold some people will be able to notice a slight power gain. Some put a 180 thermo to make the car run colder for a bit more power maybe 1-3 hp. Me personally with my 180 thermo I think the car has a bit more umph to it.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
what does a tstat actually do and what will you notice if you know what i mean
It controls the coolant that exits the motor and enters the radiator. It stays closed when the coolant is cold, and will open when the engine heats the coolant to a specific temperature (stock is 195F), allowing the coolant to enter the radiator to cool, and allowing cool fluid to enter the engine.

Changing to a 180F t-stat allows the engine to remain cooler, giving you a cooler air/fuel charge and less detonation, thus allowing the PCM to use better timings. And voila: (slight) hp increase.

You won't notice a difference by the seat of your pants, but it's there.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I don't see a reason not to... you're preventing the PCM from needing to pull timing in warm climates. The worst it will do is reduce the cat's efficiency.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I don't see a reason not to... you're preventing the PCM from needing to pull timing in warm climates. The worst it will do is reduce the cat's efficiency.
The problem I see, is the ECU is going to richen the mixture because it doesn't think the engine is at it's normal operating temperature.
That in turn will kill the CAT.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't want to kill my Random Tech, but I want 180 degree thermostat...

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^I'd really ask Tom 1turbofocus for his opinion first.
I know he's discussed this subject several times.
^^^That's where I recall the discussion about the ECU needing to be reprogrammed for a cooler thermostat.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
The problem I see, is the ECU is going to richen the mixture because it doesn't think the engine is at it's normal operating temperature.
That in turn will kill the CAT.
That doesn't really make sense. The t-stat isn't electronically controlled, and I don't think 180F coolant would cause the engine to go into open loop (I don't know for sure, though). Otherwise, the only reason it would dump more fuel is because there's denser air from the cooler engine.

If it IS staying in open loop though, then yes, I'd say a tune is not only recommended, but necessary.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the help again the thermostat sounds alot easier then the stupidly designed saab's i work on

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Here's a great read on changing to a 180° thermostat:
What are the benefits of a 180 degree thermostat?
From the above thread:
Correct but if you go look the very first post I did said
with out a tune turning the fans on sooner the lower 180 wouldnt do much
Tom
CaysE;
No, I wouldn't think it would go into open loop since that's not that much lower than the 192° factory thermostat.

I still think there's more to adjust than just turning on the fans sooner as Tom does in his tunes for a lower thermostat.
Wish he'd show up to lend a hand in the discussion.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
If it stays in closed loop, I can't imagine the need to change anything else but the fans. Tom would know for sure though, definitely.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i got the oem thermostat and put it in today but the car is still not warming up. the gauge only moves aout 1/4. what else should i do. temp sensor?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
The biggest thing that needs to be adjusted is the Fams for the 180 , there are some other things I tweek but it isnt a must tun run the 180 thurmostat

alex62390 you need to check your temps with a scan tool not the gauge to find your problem

Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts