Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to hot on the cooling system. I changed the water pump and thermostat during my timing belt swap. After flushing the system, I filled it back up. I ran the car for a few with the engine at a somewhat higher RPM then checked and refilled. I was watching my temp gage and would see it jump as if it were sticking. I have never paid any attention to the gage in the past so I dont know if this is normal. Also the heat didnt seem to reach what it had been in the past, straight up dead center. After driving it around the block and letting it sit a bit in the drive it didnt reach the 1/2 way mark. Could the engine be hotter than what the heat gage is telling me? I dont want to drive it to work in the morning and have something go wrong on me.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Sounds good to me. That's where you want it. If you really wanna check the temp just get one of those long thermometers and after the car has been running for a while stick the thermometer in your coolant tank and check it. You should be around 180-190 degrees. If it reads somewhere in there you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Not quite half way on the temp guage is perfect. As far as the guage spiking, in normal operation, that will not happen.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
what temp thermostat do you have? That will make a difference as well....you can do the old school test and boil some water and see if the thing opens up or not.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
^^ thats good to hear. mines is just a bit before half way and i often wondered why.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts