Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea so I had been putting off changing my thermostat housing for a year and today proved why i had waited so long to repair it. It took me about 2 and hours to replace. It isnt that it is a hard part to replace but there is little room to work with seeing as it is a front wheel drive car and the engine is crammed into the engine bay. Anyways after it is all said and done I a happy cuz I no longer have to deal with the smell of burning coolant when I have the window rolled down. Thus concludes my vent.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Glad you got it done. That was a mother to do. I had like 10 cuts on my hands afterwards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I have burn marks cause I was stupid enough to do it right after I got back from the dealer with the part. I was on a limited time frame so I had to get it done. Another thing that I did wrong was buy the part from the dealer becuz I cold have saved 20 bucks. Live and Learn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's another good thread about this at the Z-Tec owners lounge:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=81744&perpage=12&pagenumber=2

Did you replace your valve cover gasket too? There seems to be some connection between the two.

Here's a cellphone picture of my thermostat block (or whatever it's called) pulled away from the engine block. I couldn't get a seal from my local chain auto stores, so I repaired it with a 2 1/16" plumbing seal (not O-Ring). Hasn't leaked yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the valve cover gasket was repaced long ago before I had to do thermostat housing. I would say that I should have done them both at the same time cuz I could see how they might be related.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, forget what I said! It failed again!

I finally got ahold of the replacement part and the parts tech told me they've modified this part twice since it came out. I'm going to do both the valve cover gasket and the thermostat "housing" at the same time just to be safe.

Did I mention that BOTH rear automatic windows have also failed on my 2000? Don't know if I want to tackle those myself. It comes down to a crappy little plastic clip that broke and released the cable which, of course, wound around the motors in my wife's attempt to get them closed again.

Arrrrggggh!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Window regulators aren't that hard...if the 4-doors are like the wagon (probably are), the hardest part is pushing out the little pin to release the window from the regulator. Very easy aside from that...front doors are a snap.

sudrakarma said:
Ok, forget what I said! It failed again!

I finally got ahold of the replacement part and the parts tech told me they've modified this part twice since it came out. I'm going to do both the valve cover gasket and the thermostat "housing" at the same time just to be safe.

Did I mention that BOTH rear automatic windows have also failed on my 2000? Don't know if I want to tackle those myself. It comes down to a crappy little plastic clip that broke and released the cable which, of course, wound around the motors in my wife's attempt to get them closed again.

Arrrrggggh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts