Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had not done this before - dealer did the last one at 60K and this one went 50k more.

Anyway, it's an easy job.

Remove the small hose from top of water outlet.

Take the big rad hose off of the outlet and remove the water outlet (three TX25 screws). You might need to get creative with the TX bit and driver.

Pull the stat out

Remove the front small hose.

Use a plain old 10mm combin wrench (box end) to loosen and remove the three bolts securing the housing to the head.

With the housing loose there is PLENTY of length in the rear small hose to pull the housing forward, twist it to gain access to the clamp and then remove the hose.

Reverse for install - install the rear hose and clamp before attaching housing to head.

Much easier to get it all in place WITHOUT the stat and water outlet in place. Add that after housing is bolted to head.

The normal plastic and o ring issues on this one looked fine but it was leaking at what appears to be a housing seam.

I was hesitant to do this because of the difficulty described with the rear hose but it was EASY with the housing removed first.

Peace.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My zetec had no sensor in the housing.

I did notice that the thermostat seal looked like it had "given up" and was too flat to seal even with full tightening of the water outlet. I don't really care where the old one was leaking - the new one is bone dry.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good tip but I found the only difficult thing the rear facing hose and that was easy with the housing unfastened from the head. If you had to replace more of the hoses between the engine and dash it looks like you'd need to get stuff out of the way!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts