Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I pulled apart my old 2.0DOHC Lots of Massive pitting of the head.
Just got a new Bone Yard motor pulled thermostst housing wow again pitted/chiped head at teh o ring. I JB welded the sucker. Will sand tomorrow and install thermostat housing.

Every one changes the thermostat housing for some reason unknown to me. Anyone seen this pitting on the head before?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
ive seen pitting like that in other vehicles but not in my focus. i dont know what does that. maybe some kind of additive in the antifreeze? im honestly grasping at straws. i would like to know myself, my old truck has a very similar issue.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Ok I pulled apart my old 2.0DOHC Lots of Massive pitting of the head.
Just got a new Bone Yard motor pulled thermostst housing wow again pitted/chiped head at teh o ring. I JB welded the sucker. Will sand tomorrow and install thermostat housing.

Every one changes the thermostat housing for some reason unknown to me. Anyone seen this pitting on the head before?
The pitting is common , when you have water moving you get electrolysis Diesels are bad about this this is why the antifreeze should be changed once a year as it had a chemical in it that fights scailing , electrolysis , pitting etc

Tom

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
ah that would explain my truck. i doubt the antifreeze had been changed in 10 years before i got it...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya we use water filters to counter that and now we use special antifreeve for that. The DT466's used to eat through the timing case covers. More common in diesels.
But the only pitting is at the thermostat housing on my 2 zetec heads.
You can check for electrolisis with a multileter.
I'm not really feeling it's the cause. I change my antifreeze every couple of years with ford yellow and don't mix in green.
Also the only pitting is directly under the o rings. Sanded the head today that I jb welded yesterday. Good fix I feel confident in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts