Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got myself a sweet 2003 ford focus se a little under a year ago. its been a rather fun and reliable car so far, except for one thing....gas mileage is terrible; av 18mpg!!! I took my car for servicing the other day and "bam" I realized my car didn't have a thermostat!! Apparently, at my side of the world, Ghana; mechanics often recommend getting rid of the thermostat to prevent overheating and stuff cos its a tropical zone, bla,bla,bla....the former owner must've gotten rid of it....rewiring the radiator fans in the process.

Well, I would love to know whether the thermostat has a hand in my mediocre fuel mileage....and whether there are other implications in store for me!!! Wouldda just asked my mechanics but I really am a bit skeptical about people whose automotive knowledge has been handed down from the time of Flintstones-style foot power cars!!

Thanks for your responses!! Cheers![cheers]

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Bit late to notice this one, just happened on it wandering the site.

No favors done by removing the thermostat, with the fan rewiring you mention I imagine it's running too cold most of the time & wasting a lot of fuel as you mention.

Thermostat is needed for consistent engine temp., won't overheat more by having one in there. When it runs at a consistent temp. it can adjust itself for the best power & economy. Running too cool requires more fuel, and changing temps. won't let it fine tune, so lack of one wastes fuel in a couple ways.

Hope you've got it fixed up by now with good results.

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot!! managed to put in a thermostat!! however on glancing at the relay circuit i realised its a bit above me, considering the wires that had been cut and retached. guess i'll pop by the electrical mechs next week to see if they can fix things!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Oh fun!

Wants a low speed AND a high speed circuit to work stock, many threads in the General Tech section dealing with cooling fan problems - some may help you out.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts