Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Finally just ordered my aluminum round bar to make the suspension spacers. I have a warped rotor I need to replace once the whether gets warmer, so time to follow in your footsteps and lift the SVT!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Reactions: 04ZTSJelf

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just read through this whole thread. Learned a lot!
I have a bone stock 2006 ZX3 base model as my daily beater. Been wanting to upgrade to a rally style like yours Norm.

Your suspension setup sounds simple and effective. I'll be doing mine just the same for the springs. Might be looking into different shocks. Not sure what I have to do to put SVT shocks on my ZX3. I looked at Bilstein and they dont even list front shocks for 06. Only 05 and older. Not sure what changed?
Can SVT shocks just be bought at any parts store?

I have been looking into brake upgrades and not sure if I want to do the SVT front and rear, or go with the Massive setup. I guess wheels would be the limiting factor. I like that your 15's clear the SVT brakes, but I'd have to go with 17's on the Massive setup.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I just read through this whole thread. Learned a lot!
I have a bone stock 2006 ZX3 base model as my daily beater. Been wanting to upgrade to a rally style like yours Norm.

Your suspension setup sounds simple and effective. I'll be doing mine just the same for the springs. Might be looking into different shocks. Not sure what I have to do to put SVT shocks on my ZX3. I looked at Bilstein and they dont even list front shocks for 06. Only 05 and older. Not sure what changed?
Can SVT shocks just be bought at any parts store?

I have been looking into brake upgrades and not sure if I want to do the SVT front and rear, or go with the Massive setup. I guess wheels would be the limiting factor. I like that your 15's clear the SVT brakes, but I'd have to go with 17's on the Massive setup.
you can get "shocks that fit an SVT" at a parts store, but my recommendation is for the the Ford Racing SVT shock kit. its like $200 shipped. with a 06, you might need the omnikit to get the 00-05 shocks to fit. I'm not sure.

brakes are overrated for rallyx, you hardly use them. I only have SVT brakes because it was an autox car before, and I also happened to have the TD wheels.
If I was starting fresh, i would keep the OEM brakes, and even the rear drums, so i could run any 15" wheel.

·
Registered
336 Posts
you can get "shocks that fit an SVT" at a parts store, but my recommendation is for the the Ford Racing SVT shock kit. its like $200 shipped. with a 06, you might need the omnikit to get the 00-05 shocks to fit. I'm not sure.

brakes are overrated for rallyx, you hardly use them. I only have SVT brakes because it was an autox car before, and I also happened to have the TD wheels.
If I was starting fresh, i would keep the OEM brakes, and even the rear drums, so i could run any 15" wheel.
Thanks Norm. I wont be racing but I do drive this car like I stole it. It is my daily driver and want to update the brakes for street driving. Want the added suspension for gravel roads and even the crappy paved roads

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Norm,
Did you have any rubbing issues with the 205/65R15 tires? Could you have fit a little bigger tire? Or was that about as big as would work?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Hey Norm,
Did you have any rubbing issues with the 205/65R15 tires? Could you have fit a little bigger tire? Or was that about as big as would work?
Thanks
thats as big as i could go. in fact the original owner of the tires crumple in a front fender lip because they wer too tall for him. i was lifted, he was regular SVT height.

also, as far as rally goes, its a huge tire, and heavy.
most cars run a far smaller tire, unless they have massive turbo hp.

·
Registered
336 Posts
thats as big as i could go. in fact the original owner of the tires crumple in a front fender lip because they wer too tall for him. i was lifted, he was regular SVT height.

also, as far as rally goes, its a huge tire, and heavy.
most cars run a far smaller tire, unless they have massive turbo hp.
Ok thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
Norm, while I've got your attention, What's your take on sway bars? What did you end up using, or what would you do different?

My 06 ZX3 only came with a front bar. I have a set of used SVT bars I can put on front and rear.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts