Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
This build is awesome, and you've convinced me I can make my focus into a rallyx car for cheaper than I had imagined.

I'm trying to figure out your suspension setup. Is it SVT strut assemblys front and rear, with zx3 springs in front and wagon in rear?

Would you be willing to make more of the aluminum spacers? I'm having a helluva time even finding the smaller ST suspension spacers.
Hi,

yes SVT struts/shocks all around. zx3 springs in front, cut wagons springs in rear.

I would not be able to make another set. I used all the scrap aluminum stock i had (and work tries to limit the amount of home projects we use the equipment for)

however, i do have my original plastic prototype spacers that i could sell. send me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Anyways,

since we're kinda in the offseason, i thought i might put some upgrades on the car.
I had the idea of putting LED light bars in the grill, but under the hood, so that the bolts are inaccessible unless the hood is up, to try and keep them from being stolen. Not that these lights were too expensive, but i have heard of lights going missing before.

The lights are about 8"x3" and just fit. I had to custom mount them, I also put some steel blanking plates to block the bolts from the front.

lastly I cut up an old grill i had so i could mount the Ford Emblem.

Anyways, it turned out pretty good. Although at 36W each of cheap chinese LEDs, i'm not sure how effective the lights are...
They are relayed to come on with the high beams.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Also i built a sweet tire rack in my garage.
this doesnt even hold them all, only about half. the rest are in more permanent storage in the shed.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Winter season is upon us. I've had 2 ice rally-x on a lake just a few hours from home.
ridiculous amounts of fun. The ice once it gets polished up is very very slick (like difficult to walk on slippery). I drive to win, so there are times i over do it and smash through the snow banks . there generally soft.

I'm using Nokian Hakkapellitta 7 studded tires.

Me or my co-driver in the Focus
IMG_2037 by Norman Hayton, on Flickr
IMG_2098 by Norman Hayton, on Flickr
2017-01-14 IceX Car19-15 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr
2017-01-14 IceX Car19-13 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr
2017-01-14 IceX Car19-6 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr
2017-01-14 IceX Car19-4 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr
2017-01-14 IceX Car19-2 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr

i also did a few laps in a friends STI. it didnt have studs so it was alot more slippery sideways
2017-01-14 IceX Car19-21 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr
2017-01-14 IceX Car11-13 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr
2017-01-14 IceX Car11-23 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr
2017-01-14 IceX Car11-16 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr
2017-01-14 IceX Car19-23 by Greg Petroski, on Flickr

these are shots i took of some of the other cars.
IMG_2444 by Norman Hayton, on Flickr
IMG_2281 by Norman Hayton, on Flickr
IMG_2362 by Norman Hayton, on Flickr
IMG_2401 by Norman Hayton, on Flickr
IMG_2016 by Norman Hayton, on Flickr
IMG_2147 by Norman Hayton, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
almost forgot the videos

·
Registered
490 Posts
That looks like such a good time. I'm really considering the Rally X look for my MK3, and seeing what a hoot zipping about in the dirt is pushes me one step closer!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
I had a question about the dimension of the front spacers, so i put some numbers to picture. these dimensions are not exact, i cant physically measure the spacers because they are on the car, but i am basing this off of an extra strut bearing and spring top hat i have here. When i turned the spacers, i had the strut bearing on hand, so i could make perfect fit.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
I'm sure all my rally-x is wearing on the car.

recently the steering rack had a slow leak. one of the boots was showing oil, so it would be leaking out the shaft seal. Anyways it would only leak on hard lefts, so i would avoid those turns if i could and keep topping it up.

Anyways it got to a point that it couldnt hold any fluid, the pump was running dry and I was worried i would get stranded on the side of the hwy. (I've had it before on my other focus where a dry PS pump overheated the bearing, shat the bearing, spit the belt and started to over heat).

so, i had to make emergency repairs that day even though it was below freezing. I picked up a rack and pump from an auto wrecker.

4 hours later new rack in. I used the "drop the subframe" method. I ran out of time that day to replace the pump, so I put fluid in to just get back on the road, but the pump went silent. no problems. So i have a spare pump waiting, should it decide to die.

the new rack even came with tie rods which was great because i bent one end taking it off.

Also the car drives straigher now, so clearly my old tie rods were bent a bit

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Dang it, I've been considering getting my focus back on track for autox again, but now I'm seriously thinking of doing a conversion to rallyx too...

Lol, now I have some contemplation to do :)

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
I had another ice rally-x a few weeks ago. surface was quite grippy (as far as frozen lakes go)
I was working on my left foot braking. It is surprising how much it helps for rally driving.
over two days i had over 50 runs (100 on the car with my co-driver). We packed up early because we tired out. The car took it like a champ.

pay attention to 0:42. there is a 12" strip of grippy snow that I'm aiming for. The difference between hitting it (and carrying speed) and missing (and sliding out to the snow bank) is almost 3 seconds on your lap time.

anyways, not going to bombard you with too many photos and vids. They're all on my Flickr or my youtube.

Focus (2) by Norman Hayton, on Flickr
Focus (9) by Norman Hayton, on Flickr
Focus (10) by Norman Hayton, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Also, not really Focus related, but,
I had to put one my dogs down this weekend.
The hardest thing I have ever done. If you ever want to see a grown man cry, find him after he loses one of his best friends.
Our poor little Tofu. He was 14 years old. He was such a good dog. So gentle, loved to cuddle. Loved car rides. Came to most of my autocross events.
It was a very sudden critical illness which at least made it easy to decide to let him go. He went from perfectly normal to gone in 24 hours.
Tofu is the one on the right. He is survived by his brother Sushi on the left.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Also, not really Focus related, but,
I had to put one my dogs down this weekend.
The hardest thing I have ever done. If you ever want to see a grown man cry, find him after he loses one of his best friends.
It's never easy to say good-bye to a dog, ever. I'm sorry to hear that.

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
second picture brings the best out of him
im sure he's ok in doggy heaven, sorry he had to leave you.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
the local focus club held a dyno day.
Just for completeness I put my focus on the rollers.

I acheived 140whp/138wtq
what really impressed me was 90% peak torque from 2500 to 6000 rpm.

now i think their calibration was a little high. There were a lot of other results seemed higher than they should. honestly i think I should be 130-135 whp.

for the record: '04 Focus 2.0L zetec, 230k km, with SVT intake, 65mm TB, 2000 intake manifold, pullies, SVT header, ORP, exhaust on 91 octane tune

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
had a busy race weekend.

saturday was the rally-x. I bumped the car up to Mod Front just to have competition as there were no other Prepared Front cars.

My co-driver and I got 1st and 2nd. Also mud is slippery. It was a tight technical course, which limits how much power you can put down, and favours FWD. They changed the course before the Mod AWD cars went, so I cant compare my times to them.

on sunday I had an Autox in the Mustang and took top PAX. Also last weekend I autox'd a Golf R in the rain and took FTD and top PAX, so I guess my driving skills are quite rounded out. gravel, rain, dry, AWD, FWD, RWD, doesn't seem to matter.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
heres a vid of my fastest run.
It doesnt look too exciting as it was a very tight and technical course, so the fastest way through is just tight and tidy.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,047 Posts
Doesn't look like those lights are doing a whole lot of good!! Cool picture and nice job.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now that you've got some time with them, how are the cut wagon springs doing? thinking of pairing them with the KYB AGX's in the back to keep the "donkey kick" under control.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts