Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Norm did the rally x post official results, thanks. I dropping of my focus this saturday for a FIA cage, stuff getting real

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Had another event on the weekend.
My co-driver beat me on saturday, because of the timing of the water truck always gave me the wetter run, but i beat him on sunday when we swapped.
The car won Prepared FWD easily. we also beat Prepared AWD in our heat on sunday, so the car is quick.

so far just a vid from saturday, we took a bucnh of go pro angles, so there will be more.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
They zigged you around some of the deeper rut sections in that course I see, had to keep a mud puddle in there for ya!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
They zigged you around some of the deeper rut sections in that course I see, had to keep a mud puddle in there for ya!
ya, as the day progresses the course may need to shift around the bigger ruts. they don't want anyone to hook a wheel and flip. (it has happened)

also, the ruts are hard on cars. a few de-beaded their tires

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
some pics from the july 30 event.

also, we had broke the exhaust. a hanger came off and the tail pipe tore out of the muffler. made for a very loud drive home, my ear were ringing.
anyways, its since been welded up with some extra plate.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
had an interesting event this weekend.

First problem was that one of the shift cables came loose. luckily i still had 1st and 2nd. but i couldnt get reverse, which i needed on course. ended up looping around to get back on track. anyways easy fix, just clipped in back in place.

Sunday afternoon this happened.

car was undrivable and stuck in a grass field. (FYI, i have a 25mm rear bar on soft-ish springs)

fortunately an Oriely's 45 min away had one in stock, and was open to 8pm on a Sunday! mind blown.

however the eccentric bolt was seized.
this required that I buy a cordless angle grinder to cut it out. I also needed to buy an extra jack and stands. $250 dollars later.

by the time we got back to the car, it was dark, so by flashlight, we cut the old out. we didnt have the eccentric bolt to put back in, so it was a regular grade 8 12mm bolt. alignment was garbage, but i was able to drive it the 4 hours back home. got to bed at 2am.

yesterday I went to Ford and paid $30 for the proper bolt. And i slathered neversieze on everything.
for reference the part number is 6s4z-5k978-AA

So, if you are going to rally-x 4 hours away from home, consider bringing a trailer. or at least more tools. i had basic hand tools, but did not expect such a large job.

PS. I ordered another lower control arm for the other side, and I will be welding more plates to them to reinforce.

It was some interesting courses, I'll post video later.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
videos from this weekend's rally cross.
notice the big difference in lateral grip on the same dirt. when wet, 0.3G, when dry >0.8G.
last video is breaking the control arm.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
ya rear lower. snapped right where the sway bar end link attaches

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
SO, i ordered a rear lower control arm for the other side. Pre-emptively replace it. the old un-reinforced control didnt show any cracks, but i'm not exactly easy on parts.

when the bolt arent seized it's pretty easy. it only took me an hour to replace the control arm. and thats including doing the rear alignment (toe)

also, some more pics..

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
i enjoy them both equally. They're two sides of the same coin. trying to nail the perfect lap. tenths of a second improvment. Autox is more precise because the track is consistent. Rally x is more fluid, as grip changes. Both types of racing feel like a forbidden fruit. something you can't publicly do in polite society, but on a closed course....

auto-x is more intense though. When I've done a great lap, my hands shake from the adrenaline.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,081 Posts
I would have guessed the dirt track to be more exciting. Feeling the tires spin, gravel and dirt kicking out behind you. But I can see how they both have their positive differences.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I would have guessed the dirt track to be more exciting. Feeling the tires spin, gravel and dirt kicking out behind you. But I can see how they both have their positive differences.
i find im more focused at autox. lots of concentrating and analysis of previous runs to improve.

after rallyx lap. im usually laughing, by how wrong it seems to beat the living tar out of a car (and why does it survive the abuse)

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'd absolutely love to do this. In my twenties I used to go into rural areas around my province and go nuts. This with my only car still owned by the bank
I have an 04 Focus that is running beautifully, it's a spare car, BUT it's a 1.6.
Also, I've never worked on cars, but this is fine as I'll learn very quickly. The only thing I can think of is to drop a bigger motor in or some how slap a turbo onto the 1.6.
As it's a spare car, I could literally gut it out. 1st world problems hey ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
This build is awesome, and you've convinced me I can make my focus into a rallyx car for cheaper than I had imagined.

I'm trying to figure out your suspension setup. Is it SVT strut assemblys front and rear, with zx3 springs in front and wagon in rear?

Would you be willing to make more of the aluminum spacers? I'm having a helluva time even finding the smaller ST suspension spacers.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts