Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Thenorm's Rally-x build.

29K views 110 replies 24 participants last post by  DirtyDave 
#1 · (Edited)
I've dabbled in rallyx before, but now I'm going to convert my Focus to a rally-x car, since I bought a Mustang GT for my autox fix.

This was the starting point.

step 1, remove and sell Mustang wheels for something a little narrower. (fender flares are coming off too)

step 2, buy cheap SVT shocks struts.

step 3 spacers for the front struts.

This was the protoype. these worked quite well.

next was aluminum. final version was 29mm thick.

I had to indent the back side to get enough travel on the shocks before bottoming out, and still not coil bind.

step 4. install spacer/strut front and Wagon springs rear. I now have 7" ground clearance under the SVT header (a notorious low spot)

See less See more
#2 ·
These are the tires i plan to install as well as my skid plate.

I will also install mudflaps.

Team dynamics pro race 1 15x7" clears SVT brakes. gravel rally tires.

the skid plate is custom made 3/8" aluminum. for an oil change, its just 5 bolts. to remove.

the uprights that bolt to the front subframe, using exisitng bolts on the tie down point and radiator mount.

the captive nuts that I insert into the subframe, so i didnt have to drill holes.

i've been through 3 progressively larger pieces of angle iron for the cross piece. as I keep bending them. the current largest one i had to notch to clear the SVT header.

#3 ·
just random thoughts here...

this is the ST suspension 0.8 inch "spring distance kit" that I based my spacer off of.

coincidently ,the indent in the back of my spacer was 0.8 inch, so on both the ST and my spacers, the bump stop is in the same relative position. and would have the same travel (SVT struts on stock zx3 springs)

in total I have 6" total travel from full droop until the springs coil bind, but the bump stops should bottom out (compressing 2" down to 0.5") in 5.75"

#5 ·
Great write up!!! Looking at trying something similar with my mk3 suspension wise

2012 Ford Focus SEL "MK3"
2009 Ford Edge Limited
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
thanks,
but hold that thought on the wagon springs. although they are tall, they are also stiffer than the fronts, so sometimes i get a bit of a donkey kick going over some bumps. I'll probably stick with it for now (i dont have regular stock rear springs) but i may consider regular springs with a spacer. however the spacer is a little more complicated than the simple cylinder i turned for the front, so I need to think on how to make it. I don't pretend to be a machinist, im just a hack.

Reactions: sleepyboy
#8 ·
Interesting deal you got going on, sub

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Sounds like more damping time at the rear then, and maybe more stiffness at the front.

Subie never solved the hatchback's issues in flying compared to the sedan, so weight & balance comes into that part. Donkey kick should be able to be tuned out easier though, separate problem.

#10 ·
More damping for sure, balancing the stiffness in the front would help, but I'm trying to be cheap with the Svt dampers.
I've heard that ranger springs might fit so it's a idea I need to investigate

#13 ·
I did have F2 fender flares on it.
I've removed them now, and have an agreement for sale already.

#14 ·
picture time.

I've got the flares off the car. it looks so narrow now. Also crazy fender gap. I got 2 new front fenders because the old ones were hacked to pieced for the wide body. can't do anything about the rear quarter though...

put mud flaps on. and did a test run with the wheels and tires. my 15" wheels do clear everything except that the inside stick on weights rub on the trailing arm in the rear. they self clearance though steel > lead. I'll probably run my 4mm space in the back just to ensure clearance.

the remaining mods on the car:
SVT intake, 65mm TB, 2000IM, UDP, chip, driver poly mount, SVT header, ORP, catback, Torsen, 25mm rear sway bar, front spring spacers, rear wagon springs, SVT struts/shocks, some poly bushings, TD PR1 15" wheels, gravel rally tires.

this puts me in SCCA Rallyx Prepared Front class (except the ORP, which i will just ignore)

#16 ·
tires are the same front and back. they are larger than stock diameter. (the grey wheels pictured previous are smaller than stock diameter).

I'll leave the springs as is and try it at first event Jun 4. after that, we'll re-evaluate

#17 ·
I've been thinking more on the wagon springs.

when i've got some load in the car (like a full set of tires in the hatch) it rides better.
I was curious if anyone knew if there are dead coils on the wagon springs, or if its progressive. If they are dead coils, I dont have enough weight to close them. even with ~300lbs in the hatch, the coils didnt collapse, which leads me to believe they are just progressive. the weight difference between hatch and wagon is <200 lbs

this pic i took kind of shows it too i think. there is a gradual increase in coil spacing

anyways, my loose plan is to cut the springs shorter from the stiff end to lower the car an inch and to soften the rate a bit.

#19 ·
mounted the skid plate yesterday.

these are the bolt mount points that im reusing. one of the radiator mount bolt and one of the tie down bolt

this is the upright bolted to the front frame rail

this is the where i put the captive nut in the subframe (you can see the brown nut)

Here is the clearance between the ORP

and the final look. protecting the header and oil pan

#21 ·
I haven't left autox, just got a new car.

I've had this focus for almost 12 years. you start to get bored after a while.

the new ride.

#26 ·
cut my rear wagon springs.
took out 1 coil to start from the stiff end. it was mostly dead coil anyways.

drop the rear by 1/2". I've got a rallyx this weekend, so I'll try it before i cut any more.
initial feel it is not as harsh as it was before. I still have a bit of rake to the car, so I might take more out, just based on that.

#28 ·
I'll run my camera and auto-x data logger.

at the last event (that i didnt attend) there were photographers.

#29 ·
well crap,

event was cancelled due to low registration. next one is not for 3 weeks.

so, I'll cut the spring another coil.

Also added a dash cam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.