Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live out in the country, so i know all my neighbours and i am not too close to anyone else..
so im sitting at home reading my mail and my brother yells at me to look out my window.. and i look down and theres a 5 door yellow zx3 around 08 in my driveway, i looked just in time to see him leaving.. my brother said he got out his car looked at mine, and wrote something down? he was taking my vin.. that is the weirdest thing? my driveway is also super long btw.. and i have never seen that focus around here...?

i guess maybe im not the only fanatic?

·
Banned
571 Posts
Uhmmm, why take the VIN? Maybe he's looking to eventually ninja some of your parts once he finds out what's interchangeable? [ninja]

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
He's working on stealing your car. He heard that you felt bad for him, since he drives the older style Focus.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lmao! as long as its not a sedan its not bad! and iunno he must have been a ninja cause he was pretty quick? and brave to come on someones farm and get out, theres big dogs here lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
Around 1999-2001 when I was working at C.L.E.U. and I had a significant file in which numerous criminals would falsify documents to show that New Canadian Vehicles were purchased and then exported outside of the country.

The reason for doing this is because under the Tax laws in Canada a export company is entitled to a tax rebate of all taxes paid on a vehicle once the vehicle has been exported out of the country. Needless to say only the paperwork was exported and thousands of vehicles still remained in the country.

Another reason I can think of is what is known as twin vining. A person of somewhat unscrupulous character will steal a new vehicle, and remove the VIN. This person will then take the stolen vehicle out of country and register it with your VIN in that other Jurisdiction. Being that you are in Canada and he is probably in the US the cross reference of two vehicles with the same VIN never takes place.

If you are really sure on what this person did was in fact write down your VIN, especially driving up a long private driveway then I would report this incident to the OPP, or local Police for your jurisdiction.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The twin vining thing would bother me. Just the idea of that happening makes me want to cover up the exposed vin# to prevent that from happening. Of course if he really wanted to get the vin, he could have popped open the door using one of those wedge door opener contraptions the toe truck drivers use legitimately.

I find it strange that they would be so bold as to do this in broad daylight when they know that the owner is currently home.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Yea google the VIN number and see if a craigslist ad pops up. lol

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Could this be a new way to fake a car fax?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts