Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Weight of the Interior

I personally have wanted to know what kind of gains I could get from reducing the amount of weight in my 2000 ZX3. A lot of people in this forum bash others for wanting to reduce the weight of their cars, but I say go for it. After a lot of searching and reading I decided to weigh some of the different things that can be pulled out of your car. I haven't pulled everything out yet, but I will update this as I do.

If you were wondering how much stuff weighs I will tell you. I bought a digital scale thats pretty darn accurate if I don't say so myself.

Here is a good forum post on HP/weight ratio and what you can expect from weight loss
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55914&perpage=12&pagenumber=1

In the rear:

Spare tire cover = 6lbs. 14oz.
Spare tire = 30lbs. 14oz.
Jack = 4lbs. 14oz.
Handle for the lugs = 1lbs. 9oz.
Cover for hatch area = 5lbs. 1oz.
All the plastic on the hatch inside = 4lbs. 10oz.
Plastic pieces covering rear shoulder seat belts:
1lb. 13oz. driver side
1lb. 14oz. passenger side
Rear shoulder seat belts combined = 3lbs. 10oz.
Side plastic panels next to back seat = 5lbs. each
Carpet on quarter panel in hatch:
1lb. 5oz. on the driver side
1lb. 8oz. on the passenger side
Pastic around rear side windows = 1lb. 1oz. each

Rear seat:

Bottom = 14lbs. 8oz.
Large back side = 24lbs. 8oz.
Small back side = 11lbs. 4oz.
Rear seat total = 50lbs. 4oz.

Rear Seat brackets and bolts = 4lbs. 5oz.

Stereo:

Aftermarket stereo = 4lbs.
Stock stereo = ???

Front seats:

Stock:
Upright part of seat = 18lbs.
Bottom part = 7lbs.
Plastic covers on seat belts combined = 1lb. 8oz.

Summit Racing plastic racing seats:
Seats = 11lbs. 4oz.
Seat covers = 2lbs.

Carpet:

1 piece carpet under front seats = 20lbs.

Door panels:

Door panel(not including padding stuck to door) = 7lbs. 13oz. each
Speakers = 1lb. 8oz. each
Bottom plastic door sills & plastic kick panels & the plastic piece in front of the console that's part of the dash combined = 2lbs.

Glove Box:

Glove Box = 2lbs. 9oz.

Cover under steering wheel:

Cover under steering wheel(where ODB II port is) = 3lbs.

Center Console:

Center Console = 3lbs.

15in. Wheels with P195/60/15 tire:

Stock:
15in. wheel with P195/60/15 tire = 34lbs.

Rota:
15in. Rota Slipstream with P195/60/15 tire = 31lbs.

Lug nuts:

Stock:
4 lug nuts = 8oz.

4 Tuner lugs that lock = 8oz.

Exhaust components:

Stock:
Exhaust manifold = 7lbs. 8oz.
Catalytic converter = 15lbs. 10oz.

Focus Central:
Race header = 11lbs. 1oz.

The Hood:

Stock = 28lbs. 10oz.

Carbon Fiber OEM from ZXTUNER.COM = 17lbs. 2oz.

The Battery:

Stock = 32lbs. 8oz.

Odyssee PC680 w/auto terminals = 14lbs. 8oz.

Weights done by ozan

Rear side windows ( hatchback with 2 doors) 2,6kg each : 5,73lb
Plexiglass for replacement : nearly 0,5kg each :1,1lb
rear window : coming soon

Passenger side airbag : 3,7kg : 8,15lb
Driver side : coming soon

rear window windshield stuff : 1kg : 2,205lb

Plexiglass for sunroof : 0,5kg : 1,1lb

This is all I have for now, but will update more later. I hope this is useful. Maybe it will keep everyone from asking the same qustions all the time.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Updated. More still to come.
Updated 12/15/2005

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
cool stuff..i dont know if it was just by chance, but from where i stood with the stock rims with everything in it to now with the rotas, no passenger seat, no back seats, and taking out the jack n everything i took out about .3 in the quarter..could be chance or could be the weight who knows

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fokuzx3 said:
cool stuff..i dont know if it was just by chance, but from where i stood with the stock rims with everything in it to now with the rotas, no passenger seat, no back seats, and taking out the jack n everything i took out about .3 in the quarter..could be chance or could be the weight who knows

Weight plays a big role in the 1/4. That's good to hear that you were that much faster!!

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
looks like you put a lot of time in this.....if you reallt wanna lose weight then strip the whole interior.

·
Registered
294 Posts
LOL I can envision you tearing that poor car to bits, weighing every single piece as you go. More power to ya. It's information that I like having and work that I'd never consider doing. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Hopefully you'll get it all put back together too [;)]

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
98gsxltd said:
looks like you put a lot of time in this.....if you reallt wanna lose weight then strip the whole interior.
I'm working on it. LOL

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DePue said:
LOL I can envision you tearing that poor car to bits, weighing every single piece as you go. More power to ya. It's information that I like having and work that I'd never consider doing. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Hopefully you'll get it all put back together too [;)]

Ya, I'm weighing away. It's something we've all wanted to know. I don't think it will be too bad to put it back together.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
i read up on fj a few months ago about someone who had all the bolt ons , fr had and crower IIIs in it trying to hit a 13.0, he had a gutted interior and cb hood and hatch...took an assload of weight off and said he was puttin down around 170whp..ill try n find that article to see if he ever hit it

·
Registered
715 Posts
awesome research. but, isn't there a way someone can figure out the part numbers, then see what the shipping weight is from ford? like if i were to order something, they'd have to know how much it weighs, so we could figure out how much the whole part weighs. i'd be surprised if they didn't do that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
talonk4 said:
awesome research. but, isn't there a way someone can figure out the part numbers, then see what the shipping weight is from ford? like if i were to order something, they'd have to know how much it weighs, so we could figure out how much the whole part weighs. i'd be surprised if they didn't do that.
They would probably only estimate it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fokuzx3 said:
i read up on fj a few months ago about someone who had all the bolt ons , fr had and crower IIIs in it trying to hit a 13.0, he had a gutted interior and cb hood and hatch...took an assload of weight off and said he was puttin down around 170whp..ill try n find that article to see if he ever hit it
I'd like to see that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I remember that guy with the roll cage saying that he took the WHOLE interior out of the car. He said that the carpet and the padding under it weighed around 200lbs.
That's pretty huge in my mind.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shaneZx3 said:
I remember that guy with the roll cage saying that he took the WHOLE interior out of the car. He said that the carpet and the padding under it weighed around 200lbs.
That's pretty huge in my mind.
Ya it is. Right now I'm driving around qith everything from the rear out. It makes a huge difference when cornering and stops. It realy took away the body roll feeling.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
updated

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just weighed the stock hood and a carbon fiber hood.

·
Random Guy #31
1,861 Posts
awsome info....nice to know how much weight im savingi n there...

·
Registered
607 Posts
good work [thumb]

you can also add to the list;

Rear side windows ( hatchback with 2 doors) 2,6kg each : 5,73lb
Plexiglass for replacement : nearly 0,5kg each :1,1lb
rear window : coming soon

Passenger side airbag : 3,7kg : 8,15lb
Driver side : coming soon

rear window windshield stuff : 1kg : 2,205lb

Sunroof: must be around 15kg : 33lb
Plexiglass for sunroof : 0,5kg : 1,1lb

·
Registered
57 Posts
ok so as i was reading this, i was thinking of other ways not stated how to shed some pounds on these hatchbacks. I am a preaty big guy kinda like 230lb. think if me or you could lose 50 pounds wouldnt that make a big diff?? LOL I AM NOT ON A DIET FOR A FASTER CAR!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts