Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building an engine with a Cosworth CGI block. My intentions are to run 9.0:1 or 8.5:1 compression and reaching around 400whp.

Here's my plan for the engine thus far:

Cosworth CGI Block
Cosworth Connecting Rods
Cryo-Frozen Crank
Diamond 9.0:1 Pistons
Ford Racing Head
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Bolts

A few questions though.

Should I just go all out and get a billet crank and cosworth pistons? I'm of the opinion I'd rather spend the extra money now than kick myself down the road. I've heard great things about the Diamond Pistons as well as cryo freezing metals to strengthen them.

If you were to build the"ultimate" engine, what would you change in this build?

·
Registered
295 Posts
If I were building the "ultimate motor", I would do pretty much everything you listed but I would make sure and stroke the motor for more displacement.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
When I stroke my motor.. my displacement goes EVERYWHERE.....

Sorry.. had to... :)

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Perhaps have the crank knife-edged and the conroads boat-tailed. You don't really have any mention of what you'll be using for:

Engine Management
Flywheel/Clutch
Camshafts

And to make a better determination, we'd need to know more about what turbo setup you want to run as well.

I personally don't see why you'd want 400WHP in a Focus, as that would make it pretty much pointless except for carshows and dyno run bragging rights. It would be useful in drag racing, but only if you had the rest of the car rebuilt to cope. For a street focus, this would just be an expensive smoke machine, one that would probably have a hard time keeping up with a stock SVT on an Autocross or Road course.

Do whatever makes you happy man, I'm just expressing my views.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine management I'm planning on either SCT or Diablosport. As far as the flywheel/clutch go, most likely I'll run the stock flywheel with a Clutchmasters Stage IV clutch.

Cams I'm most likely going to run a turbo grind, I'm not really sure which just yet. I'll decide that once I get closer to that portion of my build. Most likely I'll float to whatever Ray is offering.

When it comes to the turbo setup, I'm still tossing ideas around. I intend to be 400+whp on racing fuel with a daily driver tune into the low to mid 300's. My car is already too modified for autox so I don't forsee ever doing that. If that were the case I would have left my car stock although I do intend to road race it. Obviously, I wouldn't be running 400whp on the track either. ~350whp should still be manageable.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
When I stroke my motor.. my displacement goes EVERYWHERE.....
you have officially made it into my sig [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

if your goin for the cgi block, no need to treat your crank

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
^^yea lol wtf u can boost your stock engine to 300hp....prlly more for under 20k!!

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
^ i know for a fact that tom has said on these forums many a time 13-14k for 300whp....but still, i would like to see what EXACTLY makes these engines worthy of such a high price...even with the fact that it's cosworth, there has to be some kinda major high revvin gratifications to go behind that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts