Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got in from trying to replace my rear brakes (drum) and....damn! [rant] I have some tough bolts! They aren't even rusted and I can't seem to get them off, let alone move. I have never encountered bolts that are this tough to get off (I'm talking about the four bolts on the back side of the drum).

So far, I have tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, emptying two cans of WD-40 on it, heating it up with a torch, and have stripped out two sockets and snapped an extension to a socket wrench right at the base of it. Is there anything else that I should try?! I can't think of anything more to do [idea]

As of right now, I have given up. Tomorrow I will be bringing it into a shop to get it done for me. But if anyone has any ideas, please let me know...help me save some green!!!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine were pretty damn tight too, a few well planted kicks and it came free.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
let they impact wrench be your friend[thumb]
also, PB Blaster is what you want to use on bolts. WD40 is a Water Displacement product.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
You can also take off the drums via the large main nut, don't remember the size though. This will slide the drum and wheel bearing assembly off of the spindle.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha! I totally forgot about that bad boy! lol

i'll go and give that a shot and post back what i find out

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can also take off the drums via the large main nut, don't remember the size though. This will slide the drum and wheel bearing assembly off of the spindle.
don't want to do it that way because that bolt can only be taken off and put back on so many times...don't want to have to buy another one. FYI: it's a 30mm for anyone who didn't knoow lol

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Pb Blaster works real good, much better than wd-40, soak it a few times a day until you plan on working on it again. and when you torched it did you just torch the nut or were you torching the bolt. To do you it right you have to torch the nut only because that will expand and not the bolt letting it loosen up more. If you torch the bolt it'll only make it harder.

if it comes down to it, try to see if you can tighten the bolt and break it free that'll work in some cases.

Don't tightenen really but just get it to "pop" loose.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
do you have an impact?

what brand sockets are you using? also 12pt or 6pt?

if you dont have an impact, a 6pt socket and a breaker bar can do the job. but you have to make sure you dont twist the head of the bolt off.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Wait do you have discs or drums?

When I replaced my rotors on my SVT I used a breaker and socket (1/2 inch drive). I didn't have any problems. Of course that wasn't my first set to change.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have drums...

I have done all things right. My step-dad who is a mechanic and is faced with things like this everyday is completely stumped too. I tried an impact wrench and that got me know where. I guess I will just be stuck dropping it off at my Dad's shop tomorrow morning.

Damn. Lol Why can't things like this just be easy!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah...not looking good...haha

Hopefully the mechanics that work for my dad will perform some voodoo magic and the bolt will come off!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The other approach is to remove the big nut in the center of the hub. This will also allow removal of the drum. You need a pretty big breaker bar to remove it as its torqued on pretty good. Removing the back four bolts is, however, the preferred way. The nut on the hub has a limited life and can only be torqued a couple of times before it has to be replaced so keep that in mind if you go in this direction.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the mechanic at my dad's shop fixed it. He said that he doesn't know why it was held on there so tight. He ended up breaking the head of the bolt off, then drilling the bolt out, retapping the hole for the new bolt and than putting on my new brakes. Man, what a struggle just for brakes!

oh well! just glad it's fixed! [hihi]

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
For the record, the rear hub nut can be taken off 4 times before needing replacement.
Also, the size of the rear hub nut is 29mm not 30. I know this from experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts