Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 254 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Stickers for the final touch:

Struts assembled and ready to be installed. LCR Race camber plates and H&R Race springs on the repainted Koni Yellow Struts.

Front level of the car looks good!

Should be nice and tight when I get the sticky rubber on the car the 225/45R17 will fit nicely.

I need to get the back fixed though. I have reached out to PAC Racing to see if I can exchange the springs. the 8" x 3" 400 Lb springs are a bit to tall. So seeing what there is for the 6" spring. They have a 350 Lb and a 450 Lb spring in the 6" length. Thinking of going the 450 spring. That was the end target spring rate and from what I have read is a good rate for track use with the Koni Yellow Shocks and a large rear sway bar.

Have more than 2" of gap on the rear with the 400 Lb and 8" spring.

·
FUBARCUS
7,769 Posts
Just keep in mind that the stiffer you make the rear, the more you will experience oversteer.

I haven't read your entire thread recently so if you find the car is too loose for the track you can always go bigger front swaybar or reduce the rear bar again.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Just keep in mind that the stiffer you make the rear, the more you will experience oversteer.

I haven't read your entire thread recently so if you find the car is too loose for the track you can always go bigger front swaybar or reduce the rear bar again.
Thanks. So far I have not sprung for the larger Steeda Competition rear swaybar. I have the Eibach front sway bar, not sure there is a larger than 22mm front sway bar. I was still suffering from understeer instead of over steer last time but have made some significant changes since then.

·
FUBARCUS
7,769 Posts
Thanks. So far I have not sprung for the larger Steeda Competition rear swaybar. I have the Eibach front sway bar, not sure there is a larger than 22mm front sway bar. I was still suffering from understeer instead of over steer last time but have made some significant changes since then.
You should have that issue solved now! Good luck once you get it out on the track. Should be one hell of a fun car.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Hope so. All this effort has been so I can take the car to the track more. After getting more seat time and go through tires and get more agressive tires as I go through them to start working on Aero.

·
FUBARCUS
7,769 Posts
What tires will you be running?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
What tires will you be running?
Right now I have 225/45R17 BFG Rival's on SPA ASSETTO wheels.

Once those go out will go to a 140-100 UTQG (have not determined tire type yet) and then go to a race slick (pending on points for TT or for ST classing)

·
FUBARCUS
7,769 Posts
Right now I have 225/45R17 BFG Rival's on SPA ASSETTO wheels.

Once those go out will go to a 140-100 UTQG (have not determined tire type yet) and then go to a race slick (pending on points for TT or for ST classing)
I've heard good things about those tires for autocross. I know someone who does track days with them on his WRX and he likes them for that as well. They hold up to heat much better than the RE-71R.

Hopefully I can do some track days in the future!

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Yea the tires are suppose to be good for track. They had the Rival S but those were suppose to warm up faster. they have droped the Rival and the Rival S and have the Rival S 1.5 which I think is the updated all around tire that warms up quick but does not get to loose when hot.

Also the size is an issue. I am not sure if I want to try to drop down to Roto Slip streams for the 15" size tire. There are a lot of Spec Miatas that have take offs that are good for a few track sessions for non competitive races. The 17" wheels the width of tires that are available as take offs are way to wide for the Focus.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Final bits are being worked.

Vent for the Fuel tank to remove the EVAP container is made.

Took the factory adapter off the plastic line and got some 3/4" fuel grade line. Cut to fit and routed the same length. Added the K&N filter and barb to keep things sealed up and filtered.

New rear springs at a 450 lb rate are installed. The size of the spring is funny to compare against other daily objects.

End result is a good ride height.

Front poly bushings on the control arms had some play in them so got those swapped out for new bushings. Not a whole lot to take pictures of on that side of things.

Last thing I think I can work on before the season start is either the remove and replace of the plastic thermostat housing or the pulling of the AC system and new Gates Racing belt. Thoughts on which one I should try to do before season starts?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Got new spacer blocks the other day from Massive for my rear suspension.

These allow the sway bar links to actually connect up and be properly spaced.

Suspension is all installed and ready to rock (its the Focus RTR package :) )

Ordered some Sparco Fabric tow straps to get installed for tow recovery. Also got my Forged Steel lugnuts. went with Gorilla Automotive 45038BC-20 Black 12mm x 1.50 Thread Size Forged Steel Chrome Finish Open End Lug Nut to go with the ARP wheel studs.

Now to figure out the alignment. there is a race shop that will do the alignment for around $250, but with the full replacement of EVERYTHING I am thinking I need to trailer it. Uhaul trailer rental!

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Got some last bits. I am always going to be saying last bits.

Forged Wheel lug nuts to keep those wheels on the ARP studs.

The Steel lug nuts are about 2.54oz in weight each vs the Aluminum rand named ones that are 0.85 oz each. So even though they are a bit heavier much needed security.

Rear bumper was removed to install the strap.

Looks like the dealership did a really crappy job at doing the minimum needed back 10 years ago when the accident happened. Support bar is rusted, looks like they did not replace it, or blast and repaint it. So will be going to the junk yard and trying to find a non rusted one.

The back end needed to be washed down to get the dirt off and took it for a idle down the street. Looks good, i think...

I very much hear the springs rattling around in the back now should lessen as things ware a bit.

Ordered some aluminum Steering rack bushings from Alex the Machinist so once I get those installed it will be off to the alignment shop.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Well was able to get my alignemt at home close enough to get the car out to the track for the guy to work my alignment.

was able to dial in zero toe front and back, with about 3 degree in the back and 4 degree of negative camber in the front. Going to give this a shot. Going to the track June 14th and 15th for the first time in a while so hope the alignment and the stronger hubs keep me out of the garage fixing broken parts.

Out in the rain still missing its rear end...

Going to go to the junk yard tomorrow to pick up a new rear bracket for the bumper. the old one was rusted because back when the car was in an accident the Ford body shop did a crappy job.

I think it sits quite well on the track wheels and rubber:

rear:

front:

Thoughts are once these tires go putting a maxxis Victra RC-1 tire on and might have to flair or pull the fenders even more.

Also for my birthday I got a set of pedals to use. Got the ultra high grippy ones from C-F-M which the vendor has sold out of so I got the last set it looks like (or at least according to C-F-M).

Also got new ball joint pinch bolts as the ones I am using and seeing recently a bit of issues with these going bad I am replacing with brand new OEM bolts and nuts.

Getting those bolts and the bumper mounted back on is the only prep work for the up coming NASA HPDE days I am doing. going to try for a Friday / Saturday combo and might get into HPDE4 after the weekend. we shall see. I hope to get some fun video to post and see how I improve my lap times.

End goal is going to be ST6 in NASA, got a lot of work ahead of me to get there and be competitive.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Car looks great and the pics of all the suspension work shows some serious effort, wow. With the alignment to way we have found what works before we screwed up tires is have someone with you and do tire temps and pressures as soon as you roll into the pits, the faster the better. If you don’t have a true tire temp gauge, harbor freight infra red gun will work. Tire temps will tell ya where u need to be and tire pressure increase will be a help in setting up the car.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Thanks I will look at getting a gauge and temp sensor. Don't have the money for the true tire temp but those infrared work well at close range. Need to monitor pressures and Temps.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Thanks!

Added some flash and reduced some weight.

Found a chrome rear trim piece and getting that installed. and removed the rear wiper.

For brake pads, what are people doing for track? There is now a HPDE contingency program for HAWK. Looks like they offer DTC pads for the front and rear of the SVT calipers. when these pads need to be replaced looking to go more aggressive. Have HAWK HPS I believe right now. Get 35% off from a HPDE3 to HPDE4 transition which I will likely do this coming weekend or two. DTC-50 for the front and HT-10 for the back appear to be a good step forward.? There is not really a middle step from the HPS/HP+ pads.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Got the rear plug figured out better than the tape. Found a smaller 3/4" plug that can fit in the OEM plug for the wiper. also removed the plate and the plate bracket. Done need that on really. Going to just tape the plate in the rear window for going on the road. then its easy to take off while at the track.

Also thought I would get a better picture of my tick sticker I got:

Front pinch bolts done and replaced with new Ford OEM bolts and nuts.

Registered for Two days June 14th and 15th at Utah Motorsports Campus for HPDE3.

doing the tech inspection the night before... wish we could self tech for HPDE.... not my region.

201 - 220 of 254 Posts