Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a thread dedicated to documentation of the build, mods, and progress that I make on my amazing 2014 Tuxedo Black ST3 that I have aptly christened with the name "Stella". Before this beauty, all I have had were trucks, so this was a world away from what I was used to.

She started off life as a bone stock ST3 straight off the showroom floor:

TUNING

Within a month or so of getting used to her and doing some research, I decided that she needed a tune. Every vehicle that I have ever had has been through the tuning song-and-dance (even the Harley), so this was logically, the first performance mod for me since it was the most familiar.

I decided to go with Tom's tune from focus-power.com since his reputation for tuning and his customer service skills were highly reviewed. It utilized the SCT programmer that I already had and he provides free updates to all future mods that I may perform. Tom performed his voodoo magic on my Stella and she came to life with a vengeance. It was like driving a totally different car.

RESONATOR DELETE

After the tune, she stayed that way for a long time while I figured out what to do next. She needed to be louder. I don't have the funds right now to get a full turbo back or cat-back system. So I did the next best thing and deleted the resonator. This gave the perfect tone of loud/raspy that I was looking for. As far as I can see, it will stay this way until I can get my hands on an MBRP DownPipe then CatBack.

ROKBLOKZ

So I went ahead and fell in love with the red and black theme and carried it over to the mudflaps. I did a detailed writeup in the Exterior Modifications section documenting the install process. I absolutely love the look that they gave the car, especially from the back. Not to mention the functionality of not having Louisiana mud all over the side of my car (as much).

THE GLORIOUS GREEN FILTER

So i went ahead and ordered a Green Filter. Pretty basic, I know. But hey, a girl's got to breathe. She sounds quite a bit healthier now :D
If you need some help installing, I did a small write-up on the install over in the Engine and Transmission section.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I was always the "friend with a truck" for almost 10 years. That gets old.

But that aside, I started using it less and less and I felt my need to haul things drop off when I got a desk job pushing pixels and playing on forums. So economically, it made sense because I sat in traffic all day and went to and from work 90% of the time. I had a kid on the way and needed to save money as well. I went from a 1979 F-100 that I restored when I was 14-17 years old and rocked that until it almost caught on fire for the 3rd time. Then to a leveled out 2004 F-150 FX4 with tires/tune/intake/exhaust. Then to a $1,000 Craigslist bone stock '98 Civic Coupe to save money. Then got my FoST about 9 months later.

If I need to haul or tow anything, I'll just use the wife's Edge. If I want to smile, I'll rock the Focus.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To be honest, I was always the "friend with a truck" for almost 10 years. That gets old.

But that aside, I started using it less and less and I felt my need to haul things drop off when I got a desk job pushing pixels and playing on forums. So economically, it made sense because I sat in traffic all day and went to and from work 90% of the time. I had a kid on the way and needed to save money as well. I went from a 1979 F-100 that I restored when I was 14-17 years old and rocked that until it almost caught on fire for the 3rd time. Then to a leveled out 2004 F-150 FX4 with tires/tune/intake/exhaust, to a $1,000 Craigslist bone stock '98 Civic Coupe to save money and then got my FoST about 9 months later.

If I need to haul or tow anything, I'll just use the wife's Edge. If I want to smile, I'll rock the Focus.
Right on! I'm in a similar boat: I barely drive AT ALL now, so I'm going to sell my Focus this week. No need for a car living in a city, so I'll be starting to save for a new car when I eventually live somewhere with a garage.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted with your mods!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah man, that's no good. But hey, no payments, insurance, or gas bill. Hard to be mad at that!

I plan on keeping this thread updated with everything I do. I also have the same build thread and a few write-ups on everything that I add over on another new forum site as well

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mmmm. Tuxedo Black. [thumb]

Can't wait to see where you take this!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mmmm. Tuxedo Black. [thumb]

Can't wait to see where you take this!
Mmmmm, crazy hard to keep clean and water-spot less. LOL

It won't be anything significant at first due to family life and budget constraints. But I figure that is also the same boat that lots of us are in. I do have some good plans in the wings, but those will come in time. Besides, all of the minor, more subtle changes add up fairly quickly. [hihi]

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mmmmm, crazy hard to keep clean and water-spot less. LOL

It won't be anything significant at first due to family life and budget constraints. But I figure that is also the same boat that lots of us are in. I do have some good plans in the wings, but those will come in time. Besides, all of the minor, more subtle changes add up fairly quickly. [hihi]
You could always coat it with a sealant to keep control of those water spots. I generally spray wax mine after I wash it to clear up an water spots, that's a second option.

I totally feel you on budget constraints. There's so much I could do, but so much I can't justify spending on at the moment. One day we'll get to the point where buying car parts will feel acceptable. No rush. Plus, like you said, the little touches add up very quickly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I have all kinds of good detailing stuff, but most of the spots came from one time when I washed and it was a million degrees outside in direct sunlight on black paint. Fun stuff.

I browse through the AutoDetailing subreddit as well as binge watch all of Larry's videos at Ammo NYC all the damn time. I'll get to buffing and detailing at some point while it's cool outside. Worst is the damn windshield though...

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Soon we will se h&r w/ blisteens or konis w/ big sway bars all around poly bushings...

Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Soon we will se h&r w/ blisteens or konis w/ big sway bars all around poly bushings...

Am I on the right track?
Haha, that would be nice, but my budget is cheater-pipe tight. Besides, where I live, lowering my car beyond what it already is, is just asking for damage.

But yeah, you are on the right track ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Haha no expert on a squirrels anal cavity but from what it sounds like its not a big budget.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, yeahhhh.
I edited the sentence he was referring to, since then. Good stuff :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HAHA!!
I figured that somebody would get all uptight about it eventually. I left a pretty sweet edit comment though when it asked for a reason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts